Already-qualified athletes will keep spots at 2021 Games in Tokyo

rooster59

Already-qualified athletes will keep spots at 2021 Games in Tokyo

2020-03-27T114939Z_1_LYNXMPEG2Q0WN_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-OLYMPICS.JPG

FILE PHOTO: The giant Olympic rings are seen through at the waterfront area at Odaiba Marine Park after postponing Games due to the outbreak of coronavirus disease (COVID 19), in Tokyo, Japan March 25, 2020. REUTERS/Issei Kato

ATHENS (Reuters) - All athletes who had qualified for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics will keep their spots for the Games next year following their postponement due to the coronavirus pandemic, the International Olympic Committee said on Friday.

The IOC and Japanese organisers postponed the July 24-Aug 9 event earlier this week but confirmed that those among the 11,000 athletes set to compete in Tokyo who had already earned their spot would keep it.

The IOC also said that the amount of spots allocated for each sport at the Games would remain the same next year.

"The 57% that are qualified do remain in place and the goal is to maintain the same athletes quotas across the different sports," an IOC official said.

The virus has wreaked havoc with sports schedules and forced the cancellation of many Olympic qualifiers across many sports. Athletes have also been restricted in their training due to measures taken to stop the spread.

Though a huge blow to Japan, which has invested $12 billion in the run-up to the Games, the decision to postpone was a relief to thousands of athletes fretting over training with the world heading into lockdown to fight a disease that has killed thousands of people.

(Reporting by Karolos Grohmann; Editing by Toby Davis)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-28

I know this is a serious situation but 15 months is a long time. The Monty Python in me sees an already qualified but now 25 stone porker lining up for the 1st heat of the 100m. Cor, he’s let himself go!

1 hour ago, retayl said:

I know this is a serious situation but 15 months is a long time. The Monty Python in me sees an already qualified but now 25 stone porker lining up for the 1st heat of the 100m. Cor, he’s let himself go!

I suspect the ‘Monty Python’ in you has never competed at the top of any sport.