Trump drops idea of New York lockdown as U.S. death count crosses 2,000

rooster59

3 hours ago, wombat said:

if Trump could turn water to wine the democrats would accuse him of pollution.
which reminds me, how are your 401(k) in the time of coronavirus?

Down 10% currently. Should have investment in ventilators and ... coffins.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

The democrats that run the state and the cities of New York are waiting for what? They control in times of a state of emergency.  So they are setting still until all hell breaks loose  and can blame Trump.  

For life saving supplies from the federal government, that were supposed to be stockpiled.  He, and his team, were warned about this years ago.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

the feds have the power to quarantine the states.  commerce clause regulates interstate commerce, which has been used repeatedly to pass laws that ordinary people wouldn't think should come under federal regulations.

power is granted to congress, but aside from some political grandstanding, i wouldn't expect much pushback.  is suspect congress would allow trump to do this with an executive order using the emergency decree, and let him take the heat in the press.  as with the war powers act, they'll let the executive branch usurp their powers.

this wouldn't be a wuhan-style lockdown.  it would be stopping transit at state borders, leaving internal quarantine up to the local authorities.

Republicans wouldn’t even go for that 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redline said:

For life saving supplies from the federal government, that were supposed to be stockpiled.  He, and his team, were warned about this years ago.

There is a 69 pages pandemic guidelines written in 2016 by the NSC which Trump ignored. 

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/25/trump-coronavirus-national-security-council-149285

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

doesn't really matter, though.  trump was not tweetering as an actual intended policy, but to get cuomo's public opposition to a quarantine.  the idea was to get him on record as against it, so as to have someone to blame as new york's health infrastructure collapses and the virus is spread to other areas by those fleeing the city or state.

Perhaps trump should be doing something about the crisis instead of playing politics with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Jonnapat said:

Sounds like a case of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing.

Total confusion and by far the worst response to this pandemic than almost any other country in the world. 

Thats sort of like predicting the score of a baaseball game at the end of the third,

29 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

Dr. Anthony Fauci points out that as major world hubs, it is expected the numbers will be the highest in the US. But somehow you choose to narrative as Leftist.

Well the cities being most affected right now are Leftist controlled. I wonder if they will ever give us a socioeconomic analysis? Does anyone want to know the population and poverty stats in the are that hard hit Elmhurst Hospital serves? Easy to find. Or is that Not PC.

By the way, how are DeBlasios marks for doing his part in this crisis?

34 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

Allegiance to this president has a huge cost but his supporters will follow him to the grave.

Would that please you?

• Like 1

And now trump is now suggesting some kind of criminality or conspiracy because of the high consumption of face masks in NYC. No, I'm not kidding.

“Where are the masks going? Are they going out the back door? How do you go from 10,000 to 300,000 [masks used per week], and we have that in a lot of different places."

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-donald-trump-new-york-masks-hospitals-20200329-xat7grl26zg6xddflgvtu447uq-story.html

“Where are the masks going -- are they going out the back door?” he added. “Somebody should probably look into that, because I just don’t see from a practical standpoint how that’s possible to go from that to that, and we have that happening in numerous places.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-29/trump-suggests-a-new-york-hospital-losing-masks-because-of-crime

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Thats sort of like predicting the score of a baaseball game at the end of the third,

Well the cities being most affected right now are Leftist controlled. I wonder if they will ever give us a socioeconomic analysis? Does anyone want to know the population and poverty stats in the are that hard hit Elmhurst Hospital serves? Easy to find. Or is that Not PC.

By the way, how are DeBlasios marks for doing his part in this crisis?

Would that please you?

I do think trump health wise has a huge risk. Obesity has a way of killing those off young. I don't ever take pleasure in anyone dying. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Actually it's a very PC question. You see, before the advent of Obamacare, people in the lower economic classes had poorer outcomes because they couldn't afford regular medical treatment. But with Medicaid having been vastly extended, their outcomes are better. They can now get treatment before something becomes an emergency. And that included preventive care.

What would be a really interesting question now that hospitals in nyc are way overstressed, is how much better outcomes are the rich getting now than they did before? I doubt that they can buy special treatment now except by migrating to states that are currently less stressed. And they probably aren't going to be welcome there even if they do manage to hire a private jet.

And there's another interesting question. Are private jet and helicopter flights allowed except for parties involved in battling the virus? Or are those who can afford it still allowed to transmit the illness via this route?

Edit: At least on March 10 it was still allowed:

Private jets are taking off because of coronavirus

According to CEO Adam Twidell, the company are receiving a "significant number of requests" from Americans currently in Europe who are seeking to return to the US, as well as those keen to fly from Europe to the UK, which is exempt from the ban at present.

"One client is flying her daughter home to the US from University in France, and several of her fellow students (who are also US citizens) are sharing the flight back with her."

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/coronavirus-private-jets/index.html

Edited by bristolboy
  • Like 1

Just now, earlinclaifornia said:

Please, pray tell, show me where you have any proof that Trump says things that appeal to the majority of Americans. 37% yes but not at all close to even 50%. Please share any enlightenment

I'm sure he does actually but what does that signify? Lots of it is vague stuff. Very little of his real policy initiatives get majority support. Taxes definitely not. ACA, no. Immigration. No. 

23 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

I'm sure he does actually but what does that signify? Lots of it is vague stuff. Very little of his real policy initiatives get majority support. Taxes definitely not. ACA, no. Immigration. No. 

My brother retired in Florida likes what he says. He is not willing to say more than that, nothing, unable to discuss politics. His best man at his wedding was actually the most raciest person I had ever encountered. I don't believe that anything close to a majority think like my brother.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

I dare a trump supporter to respond after they read this. Truth is they will deny, deflect and say even if it is true so what.

Yes blood is on his hands and ironically probably the majority of the dead directly caused by his narcissism and incompetence will likely be people in his base. 

On 3/29/2020 at 3:14 PM, robblok said:

Im sure there are far more qualified people around then Trump. I mean the man is totally unsuitable for the job. I wonder why so many Americans like him must have something to do with the fact its a two party system and they hate voting for the other side. In other words they had to vote for him otherwise their side would lose. Can't imagine people really supporting him or thinking he is a good president, more like if I don't vote for him the other side might win. 

You really don't get it. To his hard core base he is the leader of a cult of personality. It's a cousin of religious worship. No its obviously not based on rationality. Now that the US is in crisis to have a leader like that has become even more tragic than before. 

19 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, blood is on his hands and ironically probably the majority of the dead directly caused by his narcissism and incompetence will likely be people in his base. 

Yes, you can see trump red states Louisiana, Texas and soon Florida will face explosive case loads.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/03/29/coronavirus-updates-texas-500-new-cases/

NOT Trump's fault:

virus existence.

Trump's fault:

Eliminating the pandemic response team

Slashing the CDC budget

Refusing to allow W.H.O. tests into the USA

Giving false information related to the coronavirus

Hate crimes resulting from calling it the "China virus"

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, J Town said:

NOT Trump's fault:

virus existence.

Trump's fault:

Eliminating the pandemic response team

Slashing the CDC budget

Refusing to allow W.H.O. tests into the USA

Giving false information related to the coronavirus

Hate crimes resulting from calling it the "China virus"

He didn't actually slash the CDC budget. He tried to. But Congress wouldn't let him. He did let a 5 year prefunded pandemic program die despite Congressional support to its continuation.

15 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

He didn't actually slash the CDC budget. He tried to. But Congress wouldn't let him. He did let a 5 year prefunded pandemic program die despite Congressional support to its continuation.

You are correct at this time - but he is still trying to slash their budget to this day in light of the pandemic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J Town said:

You are correct at this time - but he is still trying to slash their budget to this day in light of the pandemic.

Also slashing funding to biomedical research.

Trump’s new budget cuts all but a favored few science programs

For the fourth straight year, President Donald Trump has proposed sizable reductions in federal research spending. To be sure, it’s no longer news that the president wants deep cuts to the budgets of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the National Science Foundation (NSF), and science programs at the Department of Energy (DOE) and NASA. And in past years, Congress has rejected similar proposals and provided increases

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/02/trump-s-new-budget-cuts-all-favored-few-science-programs

• Like 2

21 hours ago, earlinclaifornia said:

I dare a trump supporter to respond after they read this. Truth is they will deny, deflect and say even if it is true so what.

It’s real disaster-save this article because it should be widely dispersed in October.  That’s what happens when you put loyalty before competence!