Thais in Pattaya concerned by foreigners not wearing face masks

rooster59

5 hours ago, Yinn said:

Yes, an Asian thing wear mask.

thailand, Singapore, South Korea, Japan and China most wear the mask in public place. Control corona.

When in Rome. 

Italy, US, UK, France, Spain, Netherlands not like wear the mask in public place.

Look what happen. 

If in public, please wear the mask. 

Not be selfish. 

You are confused. While there could be some truth to that, it is in large part the way that Europeans (esp Italy and Spain) smother one another with cheek kisses and handshakes. Thai-style greetings should probably be adopted in that regard going forward.

As for masks being front-line defence - utter tosh, and you are being typically Thai with your reasoning on the stats the naive belief in them. It is not under control in Thailand or China, while Europe seems to have a more virulent strain. No-one has any clue what the actual figures are, but the high figures in the West are typically down to high test rates. 

23 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

Are you a slow learner? If you are infected the mask will help not to spread it to someone else

Yes, is why you should wear the mask right?

When you get coronavirus you will not know for 4-5 days.

= you will give it to other people right? 

I hope you can understand now. 

Kind regards 

Yinn

POTY

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Youlike said:

Yesterday we got a new 711 here in our village, late at night....the staff and driver were all sitting very close together and drinking beer after they unloaded the truck...so be carefull with the staff in a 711 as well...they didn't wear masks.

Damn !!….. that does it , now I feel forced to wash my big bottles of Fanta soft drinks & cola as I will touch them even when using them out of the fridge ….hands.... you know go every ware  ????

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CRUNCHER said:

This is the problem we are facing.  People do not want to accept advice from people who know their subject and know what they are talking about

No … and Boris Johnson advised  it so many times ….. and now he is in quarantine  ???? ....strange 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, monkfish said:
3 hours ago, Just Weird said:

If you use the search system properly Shopee has lots of choice and you have to check with different sellers on their delivery times and choose local suppliers for the quickest delivery, obviously.  I've had a Shopee delivery of masks in the last few days and if you're being so particular about the type of masks that you want perhaps you should just stay home instead of complaining about availability.

Can you give a link to the seller you purchased from because when I search for domestic there's none.
Or post a link with the search results you get.
Yea I didn't think so.

Sorry to disappoint you...

https://shopee.co.th/search?keyword=surgical mask

The sellers that don't state "overseas" aren't overseas.

Here's part of the several pages of choice.

Screenshot (5).png

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, colinneil said:

While you are calling the UK prime minister an idiot, what about all the idiots here still going to tamboons, temples etc.

Not taking any notice of government instructions.

Not shake hands.

He is the government. 

He say is the video he shake hands with “everybody” at the coronavirus hospital. Then he say must wash hands before shake hands. 

So he wash the hands everytime before shake hands? Pffft.

PM can be an idiot. Many country have idiot PM right?

BD1E265F-80E6-443C-A1FD-DF64ADDB61B6.jpeg

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, CRUNCHER said:
43 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Dr Shunmay Yeung from London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine explains why masks don't work:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/health-51881555/coronavirus-do-face-masks-actually-work

This is the problem we are facing.  People do not want to accept advice from people who know their subject and know what they are talking about

In every country they give another advice.....which is very weird....so far S-Korea stopped the virus from spreading the best and they ALL wear facemasks...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Logosone said:

If you're outside and there's a wind blowing  you will be perfectly fine. The virus is not in the air, that's why for self-protection it's so pointless to wear a mask. The far greater risk is that you touch something where the virus sits and then touch your face.

So the virus can fly through air (like in a skytrain) but outside it can't fly? And if the wind is directed from a infected person my way it can't travel any further than the 1.5 or 2 meters? Als that difference in distant worries me, why can't they be exact ?

Well, Thais should ALWAYS use a mask because the habit of sneezing without covering the mouth is a very common practice here in Thailand.
Look in the mirror before judging others ... you are getting boring ... and I remind you that most of the influences come from Asia and kill many more people in the EU and the US than here ...

• Like 2

Just when you think it is safe to come out of the Condo. Thoughtless , ignorant & selfish wedgeheads in Pattaya and nationwide make his evil dreams come true.

andownload.jpg

You just  can't cure  Stupid    ????

Edited by LomSak27

48 minutes ago, HHTel said:

The Thai population needs educating on what the main cause of the spread is.  It's certainly no from being 'mask free'.  There's a good video on another thread which shows undoubtedly that it's spread by touch then infecting yourself by touching your face,mouth,eyes.  Some say that a mask will limit the frequency of touching your face, but it fact it actually increases it with the constant adjusting of the mask.

The virus is not airborne except from unguarded coughs and sneezes.  2 metre distancing will prevent that to a large degree.  The virus is transmitted from surfaces.  The most important preventative issues are regularly washing your hands with soap and water, or sanitiser if soap and water is not available.  along with social distancing of at least 2 metres will far outweigh the use of a mask which gives the virus another medium for spread.

The problem here is that, in general, Thai citizens are obsessed with wearing a mask believing, quite wrongly, that it's the be all and end all for keeping yourself safe. 

Surgical masks to prevent droplet transmission should be worn only by patients that are sick. Droplet and airborne precautions are not the same, nor are the masks used in infection control programs for these the same. It is unclear if COVID-19 can spread via the airborne route or only the droplet route.

32 minutes ago, Youlike said:

In every country they give another advice.....which is very weird....so far S-Korea stopped the virus from spreading the best and they ALL wear facemasks...

But it wasn't the masks. It was the POLICIES.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/28/trump-coronavirus-politics-us-health-disaster

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:
  36 minutes ago, Youlike said:

S Korea had a very high testing regime to identify infected persons as one arm of their viral control. Their policies backed by action and population compliance.

S Koreans also as matter of course often wear masks as do many other asian populations

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, david555 said:

OHOHO ….!! I have my first Thai  "saving face" mask !!!

At Theprasit weekend night market just at the entrance temperature guard stand, who also give you a FREE  mask …. now I go live a longer time as this is a " free passage " away from the "Thai lynching mob "???? …..I can go out now for food and be allowed every where inside  … hurray ! ????

I feel a part of the community now....????  ????

Time is coming to prepare to live in the West again for me  …..,as  too long in Thailand it seems ????

????

Congrats mate! Welcome to the club...you 've got one made from the old bedsheets from that notorious hotel at soi 4 nana, are there still stains in it by the way?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Youlike said:

Congrats mate! Welcome to the club...you 've got one made from the old bedsheets from that notorious hotel at soi 4 nana, are there still stains in it by the way?

No , clean , but it has a nice perfume on it ….really no joke …. second thought's it could be that softener after washing during rinsing   , ….. but does smell better than the one I use for laundry

Now I can use this until my High-So masks N95 with valve arrive ????

Edited by david555

1 hour ago, Youlike said:

Again, by the logic of that argument it would be very clear that facemasks do not work, because in Germany wearing masks is not done but they stopped the virus from spreading.

See, how it looks like it makes sense, but you actually need evidence to be sure it does.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

The Thai population needs educating on what the main cause of the spread is.  It's certainly no from being 'mask free'.  There's a good video on another thread which shows undoubtedly that it's spread by touch then infecting yourself by touching your face,mouth,eyes.  Some say that a mask will limit the frequency of touching your face, but it fact it actually increases it with the constant adjusting of the mask.

.. and yet the countries that practice strict mask usage are seeing the lowest growth numbers. If 'in fact' it increases the risk, you would not expect to see that. Most importantly, it has never been stated the primary benefit is preventing you from getting sick. The primary purpose is preventing transmission to others. Often people are touching/adjusting the mask on the sides (straps), I don't see any plausible mechanism by which that increases risk.

There are a trickle of studies starting to emerge about the correlation between mask usage in countries and spread, but it's hard if not impossible to properly account for all the confounding factors. In practice, the spread appears to be reduced, and certainly is no indication it's making things worse. Let's not get caught up in what can happen in theory. You would need a proper double blind study, but it's common sense that small coughs and sneezes are a vector, and masks help here.

It's better than nothing, provided you don't put yourself into high risk situations you otherwise wouldn't have without a mask.

7 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Again, by the logic of that argument it would be very clear that facemasks do not work, because in Germany wearing masks is not done but they stopped the virus from spreading.

Except they haven't stopped it spreading, it's still growing at a fast clip. Though the more relevant point is that countries without strict quarantine measures, and strict mask usage, have largely been able to escape strict lockdown measures.

Edited by jacob29

1 hour ago, Youlike said:

So the virus can fly through air (like in a skytrain) but outside it can't fly? And if the wind is directed from a infected person my way it can't travel any further than the 1.5 or 2 meters? Als that difference in distant worries me, why can't they be exact ?

They are, but as usual nobody listens. If you're into  this social distancing thing and masks, you'll be disappointed to know that 1.50 m is not enough. Nor is 2.m. At least 8 metres would be required. This was what MIT scientists found out.

The public are currently being asked to keep a distance from each other of at least 6ft 6in. But a new study by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) suggests the gap should be four times bigger at around 26 feet. 

The study, which was reported by the Telegraph, found that viral droplets expelled in coughs and sneezes can travel in a moist, warm atmosphere at speeds of between 33 and 100ft per second (ten metres to 100 metres). This creates a cloud within the atmosphere that can span approximately 23ft to 27ft (seven metres to eight metres) to neighbouring people. It has also been warned that droplets, which contribute to the rapid spread of covid-19, can remain suspended in the air for several hours. And their direction can easily be changed by air ventilation systems to create 'turbulent clouds of air.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8162697/Social-distancing-EIGHT-metres-avoid-coronavirus-risk.html

So really you should be 100 metres apart to be totally safe. Good luck with the social distancing.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Logosone said:

They are, but as usual nobody listens. If you're into  this social distancing thing and masks, you'll be disappointed to know that 1.50 m is not enough. Nor is 2.m. At least 8 metres would be required. This was what MIT scientists found out.

It's about minimizing risk, not eliminating it. Washing hands for 20 seconds is recommended. Washing for one minute is better, but there are practical considerations, you're not looking for 100% coverage.

Empirical studies show with perfect usage masks can reduce viral load by a factor of 40x. Which effectively means a distance of 3m (with a mask) is about as safe as a distance of 8.5m, all else equal. People won't achieve perfect usage, but again it's unrealistic to shoot for 0 transmission. You don't aim for an R0 of 0, you just need it below 1.

Edited by jacob29
  • Like 1