Thais in Pattaya concerned by foreigners not wearing face masks

rooster59

2 hours ago, Logosone said:

“It seems kind of intuitively obvious that if you put something—whether it’s a scarf or a mask—in front of your nose and mouth, that will filter out some of these viruses that are floating around out there,” says Dr. William Schaffner, professor of medicine in the division of infectious diseases at Vanderbilt University. The only problem: that’s not effective against respiratory illnesses like the flu and COVID-19. If it were, “the CDC would have recommended it years ago,” he says. “It doesn’t, because it makes science-based recommendations.”

https://time.com/5794729/coronavirus-face-masks/

Yet, if not effective, the medical staff wear them!

24 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

Except they haven't stopped it spreading, it's still growing at a fast clip. Though the more relevant point is that countries without strict quarantine measures, and strict mask usage, have largely been able to escape strict lockdown measures.

Their number of cases are dropping.

Germany sees a drop in infection rate from 21% to 15% and death rate stays below 0.5%

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8150579/Germany-sees-drop-infection-rate-21-15.html

This despite the fact that in Germany people do not wear masks.

Germany's mortality rate (0.42%) is actually significantly lower than South Korea's (1.24%) or China's,(4.02%), basically South Koera's mortality rate is three times higher, China's ten times:

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-death-rates-by-country-based-on-case-fatality-ratio-2020-3

death rate.jpg

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

It's about minimizing risk, not eliminating it. Washing hands for 20 seconds is recommended. Washing for one minute is better, but there are practical considerations, you're not looking for 100% coverage.

Empirical studies show with perfect usage masks can reduce viral load by a factor of 40x. Which effectively means a distance of 3m (with a mask) is about as safe as a distance of 8.5m, all else equal. People won't achieve perfect usage, but again it's unrealistic to shoot for 0 transmission. You don't aim for an R0 of 0, you just need it below 1.

Exactly. Hence, washing hands is by far the most effective thing to do to minimize, not eliminate risk. You can never eliminate all risk. You would have to walk 100m away from the next person at all times, and even then a cloud of viruses could be lingering in the air in theory. This mask and social distancing extremism is all just perfect nonsense driven by fear. By all means if you feel compelled to wear a mask do so, but do not tell other people what to do. We can think for ourselves, thank you very much.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

Yet, if not effective, the medical staff wear them!

Yes, because they come into close contact with patients who are already sick.

That is not the case when you go shopping in Pattaya, as a rule, exceptions not withstanding.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Don Mega said:

I sneezed into my mask earlier whilst sitting at my laptop... had to grab some poo tickets to wipe the spray off my laptop screen.

Masks work great !!

Must have been quite a sneeze.Presumably if it was snot spray you would have used tissues to wipe the spray off your laptop screen!

1 hour ago, johng said:

Some countries even elected their "idiots" into government with free and fair elections..others just installed themself ????  

Yes.

amazing.

6 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Exactly. Hence, washing hands is by far the most effective thing to do to minimize, not eliminate risk. You can never eliminate all risk. You would have to walk 100m away from the next person at all times, and even then a cloud of viruses could be lingering in the air in theory. This mask and social distancing extremism is all just perfect nonsense driven by fear. By all means if you feel compelled to wear a mask do so, but do not tell other people what to do. We can think for ourselves, thank you very much.

This is nonsense, the density of viral particles reduces at a rate of n^3 from the source. Reduced viral loads not only reduce your chance of catching it, but seem to reduce the severity of symptoms (getting a heavy dose results in worse outcomes).

Try not wearing a mask in HK and you'll land yourself in hot water quick smart. I'm not telling anyone what to do in this thread, I'm telling people why there's good reason to believe it reduces transmission. Are you so clever, that you're willing to risk infecting someone over your hubris?

Edited by jacob29
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Germany sees a drop in infection rate from 21% to 15% and death rate stays below 0.5%

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8150579/Germany-sees-drop-infection-rate-21-15.html

This despite the fact that in Germany people do not wear masks.

Germany's mortality rate (0.42%) is actually significantly lower than South Korea's (1.24%) or China's,(4.02%), basically South Koera's mortality rate is three times higher, China's ten times:

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-death-rates-by-country-based-on-case-fatality-ratio-2020-3

death rate.jpg

This is the now statistics.

Your one from one week ago.

Germany has x4 more death, x4more case, more everything. But less masks.

DF0D24F0-D38C-43FF-8916-8AF043403805.png

Edited by Yinn
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Your data is woefully outdated. Germany has 58k cases and 455 deaths. The mortality rate has been growing for a while, and now sits at over 0.75%. The mortality rate was low initially due to the demographics of the infected, mostly young people were infected. There was little mysterious about it.

Edited by jacob29
edited percent
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Listen.

social distance, wash your hand and wear a mask. 

you want somebody die because you?

Just do it.

Edited by Yinn
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Listen.

Just do it.

If a person is sick, they should stay indoors (away from others). If a sick person must go out, they should wear a mask.

If a person is not sick, no need for a mask. If a person is not sick and has a spare unused mask, offer it to someone who is sick.

Nobody in my family has a mask; they are unavailable for purchase. My wife must still go to work (grocery store), and even there, no mask is available. All available masks are going to the "front lines" at the hospitals.

My children and I have been doing our part to stay home, except for the occasional trip I make to the grocery store. Again, I go without a mask. I'm not sick!

Yes, I do wash my hands frequently, and I practice good hygiene.

Everyone that comes in close proximity to me should also follow my strategy. Only then can they protect themselves from an untimely death. If they die, NOT MY FAULT!!!

Edited by Gumballl
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

Your data is woefully outdated. Germany has 58k cases and 455 deaths. The mortality rate has been growing for a while, and now sits at over 0.75%. The mortality rate was low initially due to the demographics of the infected, mostly young people were infected. There was little mysterious about it.

No, it's not woefully outdated, that article is 4 days old and today Germany had half the cases of yesterday.

But fair enough, if you want up to the minute data, then it's 0.73% and that is still considerably less than HALF the mortality rate of South Korea which at time of writing is 1.58%.

So please don't tell me the wearing of masks is any indicator in success for dealing with Covid19, it is not. Germany continues to have the lowest mortality rate which is half that of South Korea, where everyone wears masks.

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Listen.

Just do it.

Sorry Yinn, but social distancing that works would mean having to be apart 100 metres from the person next to you, it's just not doable.

Wearing a mask is pointless because I'm not sick. 

I will wash my hands though, and nobody will die because of me, don't worry. Worry about yourself. I'll worry about me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Sorry Yinn, but social distancing that works would mean having to be apart 100 metres from the person next to you, it's just not doable.

Wearing a mask is pointless because I'm not sick. 

You will not know for 4-5 days. Those 4-5 days will spread.

2 minutes ago, Logosone said:

I will wash my hands though, and nobody will die because of me, don't worry. Worry about yourself. I'll worry about me.

I not worry myself. 

I worry about other people. Thousands people die everyday now.

If I get it I will not die, because young, healthy, female. 

I worry that kill somebody. Must be resposabilty for other people. 

I also worry the economy. If longer time = more loss for many people.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

This is nonsense, the density of viral particles reduces at a rate of n^3 from the source. Reduced viral loads not only reduce your chance of catching it, but seem to reduce the severity of symptoms (getting a heavy dose results in worse outcomes).

Try not wearing a mask in HK and you'll land yourself in hot water quick smart. I'm not telling anyone what to do in this thread, I'm telling people why there's good reason to believe it reduces transmission. Are you so clever, that you're willing to risk infecting someone over your hubris?

Sorry, the maths is clear, you'd have to be 100 metres apart from every person if you were going to do the social distancing thing, and even then clouds of viruses could be lingering in the air, it's not really going to work in any way. Wearing a mask is just like a superstition, it may give you comfort, but if you have bad luck you'll run into a cloud of viruses lingering in the air where the virus can survive for 2 hours, it will enter through your eyes, what is the point? All the experts say transmission by hand is the real issue anyway.

And since I am not sick nobody is going to be infected, nor do I plan to go to Hong Kong . Just. Chill.

2 hours ago, Youlike said:

Yesterday we got a new 711 here in our village, late at night....the staff and driver were all sitting very close together and drinking beer after they unloaded the truck...so be carefull with the staff in a 711 as well...they didn't wear masks.

By contrast, in Pattaya I have not seen a single 711 employee without a face mask, for weeks. Not that it makes any difference - just saying.

Finally I'm starting to feel out of place in shops without a mask, so I might have to join the charade and buy a cheap, useless paper mask, for appearances sake.

9 minutes ago, Yinn said:

I not worry myself. 

Worry too much.

1 minute ago, Logosone said:

Worry too much.

Yes.

corona kill

more farang than Thai.

more man than woman.

more elderly than young. 

I will be so lonely on TVF soon.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

some Thai people were also not wearing masks,.  Some?  Looks like the majority do not wear it based on videos I see posted on youtube.  Not to mention the fact that most foreigners have been in Thailand for weeks now and would NOT be the source of the virus.  But as I said before, be prepared for some herd or crowd mentality and foreigners may be a bit of a target as more ignorant people panic and lash out. Officials may bow to any complaint and single out foreigners

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Yinn said:

I not worry myself. 

You may be in a low risk group, but you will not die????  Dream on baby. That attitude is irresponsible and costs live. Everyone should accept that they could die.

Washing hands and social distancing saves lives. Giving people a false sense of security that wearing a mask swill save them is also irresponsible. They should take the proper precautions.

I see people going into a super markets wearing a mask, but failing to use the hand sanitiser that is usually provided.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

I not worry myself. 

"If I get it I will not die, because young, healthy, female."

????

Old news Yin, now already 1 newbornbaby and womans and young people died ……, of course older people have old people diseases so they are more vulnerable , has not direct corona as  first reason 

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/international/world-news/infant-infected-with-covid-19-dies-in-us/articleshow/74870094.cms

Young people news  about hospitalized and  risk dying 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/health/coronavirus-young-people.html

And here the story of a low risk healthy woman died and send away for test as  named "low risk as young healthy woman"    Now don't get panicking Yin …. but yes woman's die too , this little critter sees to make strange choices …..tasting all kind of living thing as now a Cat also got corona after before 2 dogs in Hong Kong I believe..

https://nypost.com/2020/03/22/39-year-old-woman-dies-waiting-for-coronavirus-test-results/

now a Cat also got corona

https://nypost.com/2020/03/27/first-known-cat-infected-with-coronavirus-reported-in-belgium/a

Edited by david555
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

But fair enough, if you want up to the minute data, then it's 0.73% and that is still considerably less than HALF the mortality rate of South Korea which at time of writing is 1.58%.

So please don't tell me the wearing of masks is any indicator in success for dealing with Covid19, it is not. Germany continues to have the lowest mortality rate which is half that of South Korea, where everyone wears masks.

South Korea was at 0.6% and has been slowly growing. It has over doubled since then. The mortality rate continues to grow after new infections taper off. You explain to me, why Germany won't see the same result?

Germany (pop 80m) 60k cases, 455 deaths. Korea (pop 50m) 10k cases 152 deaths. Please don't try and argue that a higher infection count is indicative of success. Masks aren't about lowering mortality rate, it's about containing the spread. South Korea clearly shows better results.

28 minutes ago, liddelljohn said:

most masks are one use only  ,they not washable or reusable and after 3 hours use actually become virus incubators ,,,,  so actually worse than useless.

The advantage of it wearing it as a " Face Saving Mask"  is that the indigenes don't give you a bad look or worse....while  behaving as them    55555

Edited by david555
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1