Thais in Pattaya concerned by foreigners not wearing face masks

rooster59

The funny part surely is the logic here, if a Thai old lady gets mad at you "Put your mask, no mask? Why no mask? Put mask!" why not just tell her "But you're wearing a mask already, so if masks work, surely you're already protected?"

If she then replies "No but can go in through eyes, can touch hand" you can just say "Oh, so mask no work?".

She will no doubt be very understanding and see the error of her ways and invite you for a tea.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, tropo said:

Yes mate, I've seen that too many times to count.  

Think about what you are reading rather than just parroting everything. The statements on this WHO flier indicates that masks are useful to prevent contracting the virus... how did you miss that?

If a mask is necessary for people who work with infected people, to prevent them from contracting the virus, it's obvious that it will work for everyone, to prevent them from contracting the virus. You don't know how many people that you come into contact with are infected and actively spreading covid-19, do you? Most infected people have infected others before they were tested and then isolated. If you are not wearing a mask, you could be one.

Now where is the proof you talked about?

Where is the proof you talk about that masks work?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Dr Jake Dunning, head of emerging infections and zoonoses at Public Health England, said: "Although there is a perception that the wearing of facemasks may be beneficial, there is in fact very little evidence of widespread benefit from their use outside of these clinical setting."

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51205344

So not conclusive then

2 minutes ago, Logosone said:

The funny part surely is the logic here, if a Thai old lady gets mad at you "Put your mask, no mask? Why no mask? Put mask!" why not just tell her "But you're wearing a mask already, so if masks work, surely you're already protected?"

If she then replies "No but can go in through eyes, can touch hand" you can just say "Oh, so mask no work?".

She will no doubt be very understanding and see the error of her ways and invite you for a tea.

You could also ask why she not wear gloves  …. and safety glasses ….to be protected 

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Logosone said:

Where is the proof you talk about that masks work?

Please keep up. I didn't talk about it. The WHO and Christmas13 were talking about it. I want to see the proof that they only work for health care workers and not the general public.

45 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

I find so many post here really sad, having made the decision to live in Thailand, often marrying Thai, having children who are Thai, how can so much vitriol pour forth from so many?

Yes there are big problems about the differences, but are they solved by spewing vitriol?

Yes masks are very much a divide here, but surely we can all find acceptable solutions to our own problem.

We are all in this together, we all realised we are "the other" since arriving, surely we can work throuh this together and individually to emerge better at the end ?

Remember that approx 95% of people who become infected will recovery. We have had the benefit of education , money an previledge, but many seem to have lost empathy.

It is the government, not the idividual Thai anger should be aimed at.

Sorry but the vitriol, as you call it, was gushed out by a high ranking politician and it seems that Thai sheep / or goats are just following that person without any thoughts of their own. He's like the lead goat with bell on it and all the others just tagging along behind.

And let's be honest, in a lot of Thais' thinking, we are not included in the "we." But that's okay, we can be civil; not to thrive in their "we" but for our own joy and peace of mind.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

So not conclusive then

“It seems kind of intuitively obvious that if you put something—whether it’s a scarf or a mask—in front of your nose and mouth, that will filter out some of these viruses that are floating around out there,” says Dr. William Schaffner, professor of medicine in the division of infectious diseases at Vanderbilt University. The only problem: that’s not effective against respiratory illnesses like the flu and COVID-19. If it were, “the CDC would have recommended it years ago,” he says. “It doesn’t, because it makes science-based recommendations.”

https://time.com/5794729/coronavirus-face-masks/

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, smedly said:

I have 2 that I managed to scrounge - I know Thais have boxes of them and are reluctant to give them to foreigners - their primary customers and then they complain about foreigners not wearing them - idiots 

No problem buying face masks. I ordered 2 x 50 packs. Okay, paid 450 for 50 masks but thats okay too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Logosone said:

“It seems kind of intuitively obvious that if you put something—whether it’s a scarf or a mask—in front of your nose and mouth, that will filter out some of these viruses that are floating around out there,” says Dr. William Schaffner, professor of medicine in the division of infectious diseases at Vanderbilt University. The only problem: that’s not effective against respiratory illnesses like the flu and COVID-19. If it were, “the CDC would have recommended it years ago,” he says. “It doesn’t, because it makes science-based recommendations.”

https://time.com/5794729/coronavirus-face-masks/

But it sure helps ,if you are infected ,to not spread to others around you. And you might be infected without knowing.

• Like 1

Reminder about what the WHO says about masks:

• If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with suspected 2019-nCoV infection.
  • Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.
  • Masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
  • If you wear a mask, then you must know how to use it and dispose of it properly.
  • Before putting on a mask, clean hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
  • Cover mouth and nose with mask and make sure there are no gaps between your face and the mask.
  • Avoid touching the mask while using it; if you do, clean your hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
  • Replace the mask with a new one as soon as it is damp and do not re-use single-use masks.
  • To remove the mask: remove it from behind (do not touch the front of mask); discard immediately in a closed bin; clean hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

Are you a slow learner? If you are infected the mask will help not to spread it to someone else

to a certain extent, because most infection is not via the air, it's from hand to face and most commonly touching the eyes. this has been known since the early days of the outbreak

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Those care workers come into very close contact with patients.

When you go out you don't come into very close contact with the check out lady at Makro like a nurse would with a patient, do you?

It only makes sense, if you talk about protecting others, if you are in a very close contact scenario, like a train or something like that.

So in a train the virus can jump from one person to another right, so far we agree...and 1.5 meters is the safe distance.

But what if we are outside and there is a wind blowing? Will the virus be dead if it flies further than 1.5 meter? Or what if an infected person sneezes without a mask, it sure can fly further than 1.5 meter...

And in the Makro i hand over the cash to the lady, that's a close distance...

6 minutes ago, samsensam said:

if you're coughing and sneezing a mask can help, but so can a tissue or your own hand

i've just returned to the uk and the public health advice makes no mention of mask wearing; washing hands for 20 seconds and social distancing is the way ahead.

far too much emphasis is put on mask wearing, i had to wear one at the airport and i could feel the air coming in around the edges of the mask, so unless a mask is air tight it's pretty much a waste of time anyway. and mask wearing potentially gives wearers a false sense of security and stop them practicing more effective forms of protection

I have real masks from 3M with an outlet valve and i feel the valve moving....and when i inhale the mask gets sucked inside a bit from the vacuum....that's why you need good masks, not those silly things the thai buy 4 for 10 baht.

1 minute ago, Mac98 said:

I only go out to 7-11. Be nice if they stocked face masks on a display as you entered. Maybe they can't find any to buy.

Yesterday we got a new 711 here in our village, late at night....the staff and driver were all sitting very close together and drinking beer after they unloaded the truck...so be carefull with the staff in a 711 as well...they didn't wear masks.

4 minutes ago, Youlike said:

So in a train the virus can jump from one person to another right, so far we agree...and 1.5 meters is the safe distance.

But what if we are outside and there is a wind blowing? Will the virus be dead if it flies further than 1.5 meter? Or what if an infected person sneezes without a mask, it sure can fly further than 1.5 meter...

And in the Makro i hand over the cash to the lady, that's a close distance...

Yes, in a train, as it is close proximity in a small confined space, so the likelihood of infection is increased.

See, the UK government guideline is 2m, I'm glad you use the more lenient German 1.50 m.

If you're outside and there's a wind blowing  you will be perfectly fine. The virus is not in the air, that's why for self-protection it's so pointless to wear a mask. The far greater risk is that you touch something where the virus sits and then touch your face.

When you hand the cash over to the lady at Makro you won't get it because you're close distance or a virus flies in the air, you'll get it because her hands had the virus and she passed it on through the cash.

• Like 2