China sees drop in new coronavirus cases; none in Hubei for sixth day

webfact

China sees drop in new coronavirus cases; none in Hubei for sixth day

2020-03-30T005526Z_3_LYNXMPEG2T00I_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-CHINA-WUHAN.JPG

A man wearing a face mask walks at a park in Wuhan, Hubei province, the epicenter of China's coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, March 29, 2020. REUTERS/Aly Song

BEIJING (Reuters) - Mainland China reported 31 new coronavirus cases on Sunday, including one locally transmitted infection, the country's National Health Commission said, dropping from 45 cases a day earlier.

The commission said in a statement on Monday that four new deaths were reported, putting the cumulative death toll from the coronavirus outbreak in the mainland at 3,304 at the end on March 29. Total number of infections to date rose to 81,470.

Hubei province, where the coronavirus outbreak first emerged in late 2019, reported no new cases for the sixth consecutive day on Sunday after the province of 60 million people lifted its traffic restrictions and resumed some domestic flights to other parts of China.

The northwestern province of Gansu reported a new case on Sunday of a traveller from Hubei who drove back with a health code declaring the person free of virus, however.

Although the number of new infections in China has fallen sharply compared with the peak of the outbreak in February, Beijing remains worried about the risk of a second wave of the epidemic triggered by cases involving travellers coming to China who were infected overseas.

China has barred foreigners from entering the country and ordered airlines to slash the number of international flights into the country. The vast majority of the so-called imported cases reported to date have been Chinese nationals, many of whom are students.

(Reporting by Se Young Lee and Lusha Zhang in Beijing and Josh Horwitz in Shanghai; Editing by Himani Sarkar and Lincoln Feast.)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-30
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Misty said:

Wonder how true this is?  Other figures don't seem accurate. For example, China only reports c.3,300 confirmed deaths for the whole country, with 2,500 in Wuhan.  Yet a Radio Free Asia report estimates that Wuhan alone had more than 40,000 based on the ongoing cremations.

"It can't be right ... because the incinerators have been working round the clock, so how can so few people have died?" an Wuhan resident surnamed Zhang told RFA on Friday.

https://www.rfa.org/english/news/china/wuhan-deaths-03272020182846.html

Count the Urns in Wuhan , Lies 

• Like 2

I don't know why everyone seems to be freaking out over the question of whether China's numbers are accurate or not.  It really doesn't matter.  Each country now has to manage the outbreak in accordance with their own public health care policies and customs. 

Regardless of whether the numbers that China was publishing were under-reported or not, they were horrific enough that every country should have realized this was going to be bad if it reached their own population.  They, not China, are responsible for happened next.

Some, like Singapore, Japan, Hong Kong, South Korea, etc. took the SAR experience or 2003 more seriously than others and had previously established temperature checks for all arriving travellers. And when Covid-19 came along, they began aggressively tracking all the contacts of any infected persons. As a result they have fared the best so far in keeping the outbreak numbers low, and, in the case of S Korea, recognizing and containing flare-ups.  (And note that their initial travel bans included only travellers from Wuhan, not a  universal ban on all chinese travellers.)

In contrast, the actions of the Western countries are appallingly negligent.  Spain, Italy, France, Brazil, UK, US, etc. Simply went on with business as usual, with the leaders not paying anything more than lip service to the outbreak until it either hit their population hard, or hit their stock market two months later.

What should they have been doing during during those two months?  Screening all new arrivals,  stocking up on medical provider supplies, aggressive lab testing the virus's genetic code for treatments and vacines. (And here is the one thing you actually have to give China credit for... They published the RNA code for the virus within two weeks of discovering it.  That's the fastest any virus's genetic code has been published, ever.  And that's far more useful to the medical scientists than patient and body counts.  So for that, as much as you will hate to do it, you owe China a big thank you.)

The other thing missing from the Western world preparations was any kind of advanced public awareness education.  Here you have some merit to say an under reporting of the numbers from China could make it difficult to grasp the scope of what was coming.   But really?  The numbers they did report should have been sufficient by themselves.  Add the collective skeptical bias that the numbers were under-reported, and the alarm bells should have been ringing  even louder.  

You can call the Chinese whatever adjective you like and swear to never buy another made-in-China product if it makes you feel better. But don't exclude the butts found in the governing chairs of Western world from your list of asses that deserve a swift kick as a result of this sorrowful tale.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tropo said:

Obviously if they have conquered the virus, all other countries should know exactly how they did this

It is quite obvious how they did this, by locking a whole population in their room for a month, so the virus could not spread anymore. Though that doesn't mean they've defeated the virus, because there is no vaccine yet.

The coming weeks gone be interesting, as they have unlocked the country again, so giving the virus a chance to spread again.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ireland32 said:

More Commie Lies , Watch they come out with Cure So World doesn’t Despise Them 

To be honest, China has the most chance to come out with a cure, because they started studying the virus at least 2 months before any other country

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Susco said:

It is quite obvious how they did this, by locking a whole population in their room for a month, so the virus could not spread anymore. Though that doesn't mean they've defeated the virus, because there is no vaccine yet.

The coming weeks gone be interesting, as they have unlocked the country again, so giving the virus a chance to spread again.

You just said earlier it doesn't matter if we have the correct numbers from China or not, so how is anything obvious? Obviously with incorrect or false information we cannot know if things have improved there or not.

You say "the coming weeks gone (sic) be interesting". If we cannot rely on information from China, there won't be anything interesting at all coming out of there.

3 minutes ago, tropo said:

You just said earlier it doesn't matter if we have the correct numbers from China or not

Did I really say that?

Maybe you can point me to that post.

3 minutes ago, tropo said:

You say "the coming weeks gone (sic)

This is why I should have known better to reply to your comment, because you will even use spelling mistakes to prove you are right and everyone else is wrong.

BYE

2 hours ago, Susco said:

Did I really say that?

Maybe you can point me to that post.

This is why I should have known better to reply to your comment, because you will even use spelling mistakes to prove you are right and everyone else is wrong.

BYE

My apologies. I confused you with the person I originally replied to. This is a common error in active forums, and certainly not my first. It often happens when you quote a post that was a reply to another member. If I make such an error, I will most certainly offer an apology.

When I use quotes, I quote exactly as originally written, which will include spelling errors. Using "(sic)" is an accepted way to point out that the quoted spelling error was intentional and from the original source. If I correct spelling in quotes, then it is no longer a quote.

Edited by tropo

Golly from all China haters's hatred I know China did better. And hurts some stereotypical pride too. 

Also China reacted fast. Scientifically determine whether an epidemic dicease transmitt asympotomatic, could take literally years like case in several types of flu. Yet China almost jumped gun suggest to world the virus could transmit even within mild symptoms. Despite immense skeptism(me too didn't believe).

It is almost comical the US & Italy were two countries first issued Chinese travel ban in January. They HAD THREE WHOLE WEEKS before themselve report any meaningful infection number(according worldometer/JHU, after Feb 21). Yet they DIDN'T PREPARE equipment, planning, social distancing, and became 2 hardest hit. 

Now some hurt souls blaming China for cover up, and claim they homesoil had hit because virus spreaded before travel ban. Let's just ignore incubation period is for most part 2 weeks - you had atleast 3 weeks to prepare yourself, if you really think virus spreaded before travel ban why don't you start quarantine, locking down, and immediately prepare equipments yourself? You already issued travel ban which is a huge, serious, insulting move despite WHO voiced not to. HONESTLY admit it, ain't everyone(includes myself) were thinking: let Chinese messing them selves at home, travel ban 'em  and we're safe. Some don't understand magic of epidemic dicease is one single returnee could infect whole country, so travel ban is very much meaningless without internal preparition, China just got the balls to sacrifice industry for total lockdown. 

Realistically let's examine how fast we could reacted to virus without prior knowledge. Suppose incubation period is 14 days, suppose the D0 patient 0 almost immediately infected another person D+1 or D+2, and collectively several people(you really need sizeable disturbance to notice an edipemic event) showed similar symptoms D+16 to D+18. At this stage you could suspect a transmission but that alone doesn't warrant any lock down measure so won't help stop infection incase of higher stealthier R0. And scientifically, evident-based, statistically meanigful conclusion takes time. In best case we get sequencing or spread is violent so could make sure. That means D+20 is as fast as we could get to confirm the COVID epidemic, then start taking serious measure. 

Trace back to wet market, let's say the first patient could be contraced as early as Dec 10 - even if any earlier case, no one in the world really knows - at Dec 31(D+21) Wuhan publically reported 27 pneumnia case from unknown origin, around sametime there were guesses of a new SARS-like transmission. At Jan 9(D+30), China officially annouced new coronavirus causing pneumnia-like symptoms. Only 1 day later Jan 10(D+31), they realeased virus sequencing from 2 institutes indepedently working to clock. At Jan 20(D+41), they had ironclad evidence of human transmission and jumped gun suggesting asymptomatic transmission. Immediately 3 days later Jan 23(D+44), they imposed national lockdown sacrifice industry to stop virus transmission. before Jan 30(D+51), both US & Italy & several countries imposed travel ban on Chinese passport and/or who traveled to China. Finally only at Feb 21(D+73) did Italy report more than a single digit total cases and China then had passed its peak. Rest is current. From this whole picture you could say China behind 10 days from an absolute optimal. Actually not too bad and if you consider errare humanum est - you could even say it's impressive fast(remember FIint's lead water causing legionaire infections was 'covered up' 1 or 2 years?). What's not impressive is collateral damage due to health overwhelming, industries shut down, arbitrary police enforcing, fortunate the virus contained relatively quick to China's draconian lockdown measure.

And quoting RFI quoting panic-enabled citizen to prove arbitrary death numbers. Genius. You know I could prove either Italy going strong from twitter or proove North America died out using Youtube or Earth is flat according to random citizen. Don't even mention RFI is known maybe biased as adamantly against China, just as some of you blaming WP, NYT as "left" "fake news" "impeaching potus". Double standards leads nowhere. 

Edited by Coremouse
grammar & correction

11 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

All China is interested in is regaining its economic wealth.

Whatever the numbers that died, those still with the virus, those still being tested positive, we will never know.

China doesn't care - the Communist machine must continue to grind forward and suppress the people.

Who cares if it's 40K - 140K - 140million dead. China doesn't.

They've still got one billion + left to do the work.

China is waking up again. China will re-open soon.

China will save the world. 

China needs to be punished and held responsible!

• Like 2

If you STOP TESTING,   then there are no new cases to "report".

That would be like saying... 

"Marijuana Arrests in Colorado have drastically declined"....  after Colorado legalized it.... 

1 hour ago, Xavnel said:

If you STOP TESTING,   then there are no new cases to "report".

That would be like saying... 

"Marijuana Arrests in Colorado have drastically declined"....  after Colorado legalized it.... 

The problem is, unless you tested every single person, sick or healthy, you would never know the true extent of the infection rate.

Just testing sick people gives a very exaggerated mortality rate.

There's no easy solution to this conundrum.

Bill Gates mentioned a partial solution to this problem, in research he funds - Doing random tests in a population.