Trump says more than 1 million Americans have been tested for coronavirus

webfact

Trump says more than 1 million Americans have been tested for coronavirus

2020-03-30T215530Z_1_LYNXMPEG2T2CV_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-USA.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump examines a coronavirus testing kit as he prepares to speak during the daily coronavirus response briefing in the Rose Garden at the White House in Washington, U.S., March 30, 2020. REUTERS/Tom Brenner

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday that more than 1 million Americans had been tested for coronavirus and urged people to continue to follow social distancing measures through April to prevent the virus from spreading.

"Every one of us has a role to play in winning this war. Every citizen, family, and business can make the difference in stopping the virus. This is our shared patriotic duty. Challenging times are ahead for the next 30 days and this is a very vital 30 days," Trump told reporters at the White House.

He referred to the testing number as a milestone.

Trump said the United States had begun to acquire personal protective equipment from overseas.

"We're getting it from all over the world and we're also sending things that we don't need to other parts," he said.

Trump said he had just spoken with Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte and that the United State would be sending Italy about $100 million worth of medical supplies that are not needed in the United States.

(Reporting by Steve Holland, Daphne Psaledakis, Tim Ahmann and Jeff Mason; Editing by Tom Brown)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-31
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Thats the new Abbot test huh. Cool. Great job

hear hear!

Doubtful, as Abbott has said that they expect to start production of the test sometime this week.  50,000 tests per day is nice but demand will still outstrip supply. Why wouldn't they license the process to other labs so many labs could produce tests simultaneously?

https://www.pressherald.com/2020/03/30/coronavirus-tests-produced-in-maine-give-results-within-minutes/

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

2020-03-30T215530Z_1_LYNXMPEG2T2CV_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-USA.JPG

"Made in China! Did we pay for this?!?"

I think they are made up in New England, but Im sure China is involved in the supply chain. For now.

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

"US had begun to acquire personal protective equipment from overseas."

In February 2020 Trump announced US was transporting to China nearly 17.8 tons of masks, gowns, gauze, respirators, etc. Https:/edition.cnn.com/2020/03/29/opinions/coronavirus-personal-protective-equipment-obeidallah/index.html

Certainly a testament to Trump's generosity but - Trump considers 100,000 Americans dead from proper interdiction of the virus to be win?

May I add almost all aids to China are from overseas Chinese' own purse. The Chinese commerce chamber in Thailand did donate to China too before Govt. banned alcohol and mask shipping. And back then many of us just laugh at how those Chinese and Govts. are overeacting...

China did stress they Never recieve Any aids from US gov-affliction. 

https://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/xwfw_665399/s2510_665401/t1758992.shtml

Quote: "US officials said on many occasions that they are going to offer $100 million to assist China and other countries impacted by the coronavirus. I'm not sure whether others have received it, but I can clearly tell you that so far, China has not received any funds or supplies donated in the name of the US government.

The US Agency for International Development once said it would provide masks, protective suits and other medical supplies to China, but it only notified us on March 11 that those supplies were ready. 

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Coremouse said:

May I add almost all aids to China are from overseas Chinese' own purse. The Chinese commerce chamber in Thailand did donate to China too before Govt. banned alcohol and mask shipping. And back then many of us just laugh at how those Chinese and Govts. are overeacting...

China did stress they Never recieve Any aids from US gov-affliction. 

https://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/xwfw_665399/s2510_665401/t1758992.shtml

Quote: "US officials said on many occasions that they are going to offer $100 million to assist China and other countries impacted by the coronavirus. I'm not sure whether others have received it, but I can clearly tell you that so far, China has not received any funds or supplies donated in the name of the US government.

The US Agency for International Development once said it would provide masks, protective suits and other medical supplies to China, but it only notified us on March 11 that those supplies were ready.

Ah, Chinese government says.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Trump’s claim of 1 million Americans having been tested are a claim for which no evidence has been presented.

Even if true, this represents around a 1/4 of one percent of the population while the predictions for total expected infections are as high as 80%.

Let’s see what the fact checkers have to say.

I have just been talking with a friend in the US diagnosed with Covid 19. This diagnosis was made via an internet interview, no test. I wonder if the ‘tested’ numbers should really be ‘tested or diagnosed’?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

At today's "briefing" where the president discussed the title/topic of this thread, My Pillow CEO Michael Lindell detailed how his company is fighting the COVID-19 crisis, producing 10,000 cotton face masks a day and designating a portion of its call centers to the effort.

His "pitch" was quite emotional at the end...

"God gave us grace on November 8, 2016..."

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
Because the “Ratings” of my News Conferences etc. are so high, “Bachelor finale, Monday Night Football type numbers” according to the @nytimes , the Lamestream Media is going CRAZY. “Trump is reaching too many people, we must stop him.” said one lunatic. See you at 5:00 P.M.!
12:06 AM · Mar 30, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Thank you for your tightly reasoned critique of my post.

You critiqued a post criticizing your own alternate reality by proposing yet another alternate reality.

This is when they say QED.

• Thanks 1