Renovate old wood furniture, what can you buy and use in thailand ?

rech

hello, instead of staying home watching TV I will train to paint an old furniture.

I will buy a sanding machine and painting, but what else do I need that I can buy at Homepro to renovate the furniture ? Names and brands of products please.

I guess that after sanding I need to prep the wood, what should I use before painting ?

Thanks to all the DIY experts.

Good advice above. I would just add that gloves and glasses are a must when using paint stripper as is a shaded, well ventilated area. 

Be sure to leave the stripper on long enough to do the work.

Once it's soft, the paint should come right off with a scraper. You should not have to scrape hard, and if you do, you can easily damage/gouge the wood. The stainless steel pot-scrubbers are good for tighter areas as are the brass "toothbrushes"

Painting is generally much easier and more forgiving than stain/clear coating, particularly if you have to fill holes and or have damaged veneer. If you are going to paint, there is likely no need to remove the original finish. A chemical deglosser (or acetone & steel wool) and light sanding is the way to go after the initial cleaning.

Trying to get a good wood finish is much more difficult. 

Spraying generally results in a nicer finish than does brushing.

• Like 2

Just to add, as far as DIY labor hours bang-for-the-buck, wood-grain furniture refinishing is way down on the list, particularly if it wasn't that nice a piece to start with. An old solid teak table may be worth the effort. A table from Index with a veneer top? Not so much.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Be sure to leave the stripper on long enough to do the work.

Once it's soft, the paint should come right off with a scraper.

Covering the stripper on the item with plastic is a way to extend the time for it to work.

This kind of scraper is the one to use.D639295E-E869-4B6F-A8AB-F5B0E0390EDE.jpeg.8f2260542232f2b26e7c1a4752be41a9.jpeg

an alternative to stripper is

4A69F7E1-F7F0-43E8-8B98-3FC81AF33100.jpeg.75a21641e30d2ae259b1675252a0f3a5.jpeg

• Like 2

23 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. Why would you sand the furniture until nothing was left?

If you don’t want it just throw it away or give it to someone, don’t sand it away ????

Or try to sand this

3E8FD6D7-A404-4D43-AB05-1535BF5F9D05.jpeg.f198db5fcffa7e77b74e4767a3137800.jpeg

ill come back next year and see how far you have got. 555555

hello, thank you for replies but I renovate a desk / flat furniture, so is it true that sanding and painting without spending more money / time is enough ? I am not an artist and whatever I will do, I will do it better than any Thai. Just wondering as said above, why using chemicals when sending already removes all ?

and do you think that this cheap sander can be enough ?

https://www.homepro.co.th/p/1062216

image.png.e071134ba790774e5d52c43553fc8f6c.png

thanks again.

Edited by rech

32 minutes ago, rech said:

and do you think that this cheap sander can be enough ?

https://www.homepro.co.th/p/1062216

It depends how much paint you want to remove. I sanded a painted dresser, first by hand with a coarse sandpaper, very hard work... and finished with a similar sander (Black&Decker with a little bag to collect dust). I spent days and had to sand a lot because, instead of paint, I replaced by a clear lacquer two-part polyurethane Berger (HomePro BKK). Not very shiny, just perfect. I also used the same product on an armchair.

5 hours ago, rech said:

hello, thank you for replies but I renovate a desk / flat furniture, so is it true that sanding and painting without spending more money / time is enough ? I am not an artist and whatever I will do, I will do it better than any Thai. Just wondering as said above, why using chemicals when sending already removes all ?

For just the flat top you may be able to sand it, but it depends on what the top is made of. Many “wood” tops have wood veneers that are just microns thick and you will sand through it instantly.

Most furniture has legs and they are usually difficult to sand.

so; can you sand the finish off? Yes you can.

is that sander the tool for the job? Not really.

There is only 1 sander that I know of that can both remove finish quickly and then be set to produce a really good surface and you would not want to buy one. I do have one of them together with a dust extractor and the kind of dust mask that you need to use. Unless it were a very small area or just a table top I would not be using it. I would use paint stripper if the heat gun didn’t work.

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Make sure you got good mask and extraction for dust, some woods are carcenogenic if inhaled !

And even if the wood is OK the finish can be nasty.

If the surface is currently in decent condition, and all you want to do is change the color light sanding (after it has been cleaned) will do. 

A sander is nice if there are large flat surfaces, but as others have indicated they are useless for anything else.

If you are just changing the color:

Wash it and let it dry completely 

Wipe it down with acetone/thinner

Sand it with Scotch-brite pads, making sure to get the gloss off everywhere 

Spray paint it

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/20/2020 at 2:22 PM, scoupeo said:

why renovating old furniture when you can just buy new one for cheap ? i am not sure that painting old furn can bring a good result...

Not everyone likes cheap furniture. 

• Haha 2