Brits in Thailand wanting to return to UK should go NOW - expats urged to register with Embassy

1 hour ago, SwampyThai said:

now the moaning old gits have no excuse to return to the UK and start whining as soon as they step off the plane

Why would they be stepping off the plane if as you say they have "no excuse to return to the UK"?Perhaps before you start moaning and whining you could learn some comprehension skills.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, hobobo said:

Having worked at an Embassy many years ago (though not in the Consular Section), I still find it unbelievable that so many people in general, and TVF members in particular, believe that the Embassy's main role is to be a mummy to everyone who is as irresponsible as possible and who IMHO, should never have left the home shores.

I can imagine the hate mail that will surely follow, but after reading the constant barrage for many years, I had to have my say.

Most people don't realise and especially here blame them for the income letters being stopped. Let some of them be arrested and imprisoned then see their attitudes change. I find they have been outstanding during this crisis with updates etc

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clarky cat said:

Thailand is the lesser of two evils, better to stay and jump through the hoops

Unless one risks running out of money, which is I think at the root of why so many farang run into big problems in the LOS. Lots of tourists in Thailand will have "limited resources".

(No s**t Sherlock!????).

Edited by Andrew65

1 hour ago, SwampyThai said:

Good news for all us expats, now the moaning old gits have no excuse to return to the UK and start whining as soon as they step off the plane whilst the rest of us can carry on enjoying life in a country we have chosen to live in. Yes, life in Thailand is somewhat different to the UK but that is the reason we decided to live here. 

yeah, everybody who choses to stay (because its safer hereetc) should officially now shut the <deleted> up complaining about Thailand. Would be a nice change, adult ppl who chose for something and NOT complaining about their own choiche...like living in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, misterphil said:

Statistics show far less cases in Thailand than the UK. The NHS is run ragged with hospitals flooded with Corona patients. If you know of any health workers in the UK discuss the situation with them before leaving. 

E7D80E60-F9FB-43B1-8ADB-834730284FCE.png

Not play down your chart, but I check this daily / weekly against my own country's daily numbers and they are not always current or correct.

The big issue i worry about is these tables are based on reporting.

I suspect just on scaling factors that Thailand with a population of 60 million the numbers for Thailand in this table just don't add up. 

Although the chart below is early March 2020 until you see Thailand here with a comparison of test cases with countries of similar populations the numbers of infected cases reported by Thailand will not be representative of the actual infections. 

image.png.f60c5e95efc4d24f5e446b086e84a29f.png

Take a look at the H1N1 Thailand facts as a comparison. 

For the 2009 H1N1 virus, the mean Ro (R-nought) value was 1.46, according to a review published in the journal BMC Infectious Diseases. For the novel coronavirus, the R-nought value is estimated to be between 2 and 2.5, at the moment. 

There is another important factor called the SI index, the spread of number of days an infected person transmits the virus to other persons. 

A high R0 and low SI causes a spike in infections (Italy); a low R0 with a high SI spreads out the infection over a longer period; not an expert but maybe Thailand has a low R0 and a high SI, by luck or chance and the higher number of infection are still coming?

I certainly hope I am wrong but an explosion of the number of infected people in Thailand is possibly on the horizon. 

That said, I am staying put in Thailand as I believe any travel and unnecessary contact with people will only increase the chance of contracting COVID-19. 

Good bless everyone and keep yourself and families safe. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Are they paying for our flights?

Last I looked they were going for 80,000 one way.

Think i'd rather stay here.

They are 3500 THB with Condor direct one way to Frankfurt from Bangkok or Phuket and this price is fixed. You have to make your own way to the UK from there though. All flights will stop on 10th April however.

Edited by Muzzique
  • Thanks 1

Returning to the UK points to consider 

1/ Mode of transport from your province to your airport , coach , mini bus , train , taxi , all have the potential to carry the virus either by contact with other travellers or the fabric within the vehicle .  Your own personal car would be the safest choice if the authorities allow you to travel outside of your province .

2/ Airport ,  Is your flight still live or cancelled ? would you use the seating within the airport , touch the handrails on moving walkways , elevators and lifts ? Are the restaurants and bars still open ? 

3/ Aircraft , stuck in a tube with 3/4/500 passengers in close confinement with maybe 4 toilets that all folks will use . 

4/ UK airport ,  same risks as 2/ BTW there are no virus tests for arrivals in UK airports would you believe ?

5/ Transport to your destination same as 1/  Can you self isolate in the UK for 14 days ?

6/ The UK is right now at a crisis point with new virus infections and death rates . Doctors are having to make a decision of priorities to who gets the ventilator / respiratory equipment . The NHS are overwhelmed with front line doctors dying from exposure to the virus . The cost of a flight can be starting at £800 one way economy with a risk of cancellation .  Given all of the above versus the visa problems here I have decided to stay  .    Keep safe  

• Haha 1

Yes agree it's mainly the tourists who are on 30  day visas and at the  moment

Are having problems with their flights being cancelled ect

Nows their chance to log on to the British Embassys website and hopefully get a flight out

No doubt there will be some who want to stay up to them dont complain when the country proberly goes in to full lockdown you had your chance to leave

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Muzzique said:

They are 3500 THB with Condor one way to Frankfurt. You have to make your own way to the from there UK though.

oh great, so I will be stuck in Frankfurt for god knows how long whilst the whole of Europe is on lockdown.

Use your noggin mate.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan said:

oh great, so I will be stuck in Frankfurt for god knows how long whilst the whole of Europe is on lockdown.

Use your noggin mate.

Flights from Frankfurt to the UK run regularly. The airports are not closed here. Its about €120 one way though.

image.png.87b83f7448538f132ea1b0283af5541c.png

Edited by Muzzique
  • Like 2

moan, whinge, complain, absolute numpties. Like the numpty who is stating 2800 deaths a day in UK and numpties who are disorganised, you all put yourselves wherever you are and now you expect to be rescued at a cost to others or a foreign government to treat you as special. Families stranded in South America who ventured out of their hotels were told by the police to go back to their hotel and die. Do you really think that you will get a ventilator before a Thai, if your life isn't worth the flight money then fine that's your decision. As I said previously count the ventilators in your nearest hospital. Then calculate your odds of getting one and then risk assess your actions.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

The UK is a disaster right now.. far far worse than here.

My sister can’t even buy a packet of nappies for her little one, not to mention the shops have all been raided. Nothing like that here..

I even saw a picture that some of the Indian corner shops are trying to sell 2 rolls of toilet roll for £13 !

29 minutes ago, Muzzique said:

The Germans have been sending daily direct repatriation flights from Phuket and Bangkok to Frankfurt at €99 one way for the last 2 weeks. This includes, hand luggage, one suitcase, meals and basic entertainment. Check the Condor Airways site to book.

They are open to Brits and EU citizens and most of the planes have been going back half empty. Its a pity the UK embassy never told anyone about them. I've been writing on these forums for weeks about them. As always with the UK its too little too late.

All gone now

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Matzzon said:

So, now you are all given an option and your government is trying to help and assist you. Then there is no need for staying and complaining over that everything get so hard and Thailand is making you jump through hoops.

Now there is a chance to get information and get help as well as register for the last plane out. 

Cheeky ........  Many "Farangs" have done a lot for Thailand, don't forget that........ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I returned 2 weeks ago to the UK - mainly for other health reason that I need to sort in June - but the writing was was on the wall. 

My issue with statements like this is 'exactly how do get home if the flights ARE cancelled or  you are constantly bumped off a flight until your credit limit is busted and you cannot book more. Seems better option stay until government do repatriation flights, though last i heard you had to pay or them too which does not help the maxed out credit cards lot