Why is there such a disdain of foreigners

Bangkok Barry

5 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

From the tone of your posts it is obvious you go searching for things to be angry about, looking for discrimination where it doesn't exist, seeking out slights, persecution and building your own paranoia.

A perfect example: the Thais call us alien which is insulting.  Aaaaw, poor nasty word.  An "Alien" is actually a legal term for someone who is not a naturalised citizen of a given country.  It is used globally in national and international law.  It is no more insulting than any other legal term, unless you are a ridiculously oversensitive person who sees meanings that aren't there.

And in my 24 years of living and working here I have never, not once, been asked for money by any immigration office or official.  Nor does anyone else that I know - including several who have obtained permanent residency.  Were you perhaps asking someone to bend the rules?

i'm with you on this, i have never been treated rudely or disrespectfully by any IO, i have never been asked for a bribe. in fact i have always found them to be patient and helpful, some even have a sense of humour. i have seen the way some people behave and dress when visiting immigration offices and such attitudes could well result in a negative reception from an IO in any country.

a friend is in thailand on holiday, basically he is a sex tourist, he could have changed his flight and returned home but he chose to stay, claiming incorrectly he was 'stuck' in thailand. when he went to the immigration office he hit the roof about having to provide a photo of where he is staying and of him outside, i mean how hard is it to provide that? he then complained that the IO was rude to him, he somehow feels that because he comes to thailand and spends money on prostitutes he expects to be treated in some special way. he needs to forget his self importance and realise he is just a sex tourist among thousands of other sex tourists that have chosen to stay here.

3 minutes ago, samsensam said:

i have never been treated rudely or disrespectfully by any IO, i have never been asked for a bribe. in fact i have always found them to be patient and helpful, some even have a sense of humour. i have seen the way some people behave and dress when visiting immigration offices and such attitudes could well result in a negative reception from an IO in any country.

My wife on the TM28 thing was invited to come to an arrangement to reduce a maximum fine for reporting I had returned home from a trip (to the same address I'd given on my entry form at the airport) as she was a day late reporting me. 2000 was reduced to 500, which went into his pocket. I have tried in vain to get a local official to sign a form saying a photo was a likeness of me, and I gave up trying to get a pink card because of the hoops they wanted me to jump through which required a 1600km round-trip to Bangkok. I'm sure that a donation would have made the problems vanish, but I don't play that game. Just imagine if everyone, Thai as well as foreigners, did the same.

And when I attend any government office I always dress smartly, trousers, black shoes, good shirt, as we all know that in Thailand image is everything.

12 minutes ago, samsensam said:

when he went to the immigration office he hit the roof about having to provide a photo of where he is staying and of him outside, i mean how hard is it to provide that?

Can you think of any other country that would demand such nonsense? How would they even know that the photo matched where he was staying? Just totally pointless harassment. Another tourist who will now go elsewhere. Well done, immigration, ridding the country of someone who came with money to spend, some of which by your statement he used to help a member/s in one of Thailand's most well-known and successful businesses,

Uh many good things about this country. Many bad also. Honesty and racism for instance is one of things I dislike Thai people. And also how they rank people by perceived wealth and often lie me to try to scam me. also dislike how they always fear losing face to their neighbors but then do disgusting acts agaisnt forgeiners because they think it’s not losing face despite fact they’re losing face. 

But gotta say I enjoy some of their convenience such as how they build condos malls and bts (could be improved if mrt bts and buses were all same card), and also how most of the rural areas  people are honest and friendly. 

if anything it’s the larger city and tourist area people I’ve grown a dislike for due to their behavior. 

but I have to say... some forgeiner countries act same way with Thai people and even against people from my country (Portugal). What I feel is that thai people copy these bad forgeiners behaviors because they dislike them. 

Well I definitely notice it. People often act superior arround me when they find my nationality. These same people then act jealous if I let them find how rich i am. Usually I don’t care but sometimes it’s annoying. 

Edited by Drax

14 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

Demonizing foreigners is rampant in the political sphere.  America is unfortunately experiencing a short term epidemic of that tactic.

When there is clear evidence of someone's attitude and actions, it is correctly called critiquing rather than demonizing.

Do you think it is unjustified for KhunFred to claim Trump demonized Mexicans?  You definitely aren't an American if you're unaware of Trump's attitude towards and treatment of Mexicans.  Uninformed opinions are legal but don't garner much respect.

I've never been in a discussion about Trump vs Mexicans, nor did I claim to be an American.

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The problem is, in its effort to keep those who would exploit the previous easy-going attitude at bay, the authorities treat everyone as a potential criminal even though there are clearly no grounds to do so.

Well and that is the downside. Many have to fight through the rules in place because of the problem folks. I however do not feel like a criminal. My 90 day check in takes about 10 minutes, my annual takes about an hour or so including the paperwork package

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I mentioned the absurdity of my still having to apply for a visa, and then only being allowed to be in Thailand for a limited time, despite being married for nearly 30 years to a Thai. The 90 day report nonsense is like being on probation and having to report yourself to the authorities, and having to apply - at a price of course - to be considered to be allowed to stay beyond 90 days.

I have been in Thailand for nearly 15 years. Married to my Thai wife for 10. I work and pay Thai taxes here. I do wish that they would revisit the current process and adjust based on the individuals status etc. Years back, I couldn't understand why if you married a Thai and lived here that you would be reviewed differently. Well just like the US, Many would come here and marry to be given free pass and you know how that works out. Thailand just doesn't have the infrastructure in place to review foreigners based on varying situations. Maybe in the future. For now we are all reviewed by the same rules which is necessarily fair but it is what it is.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Many would come here and marry to be given free pass and you know how that works out.

That has happened in the more developed countries, but I don't think many would take that path in Thailand. It might usually mean a lowering of personal standards, and Thais marrying to move overseas is much more the norm.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Another "Thais hate us" post.

Thais reflect the temperament of the observer. Treat them with contempt and they'll do likewise. Show friendship and courtesy, and you'll find how nice most Thais are.

You are right.

..but this nicety will be very superficial

You will never have any friends here

I surely don't and I tried.

12 hours ago, samsensam said:

i'm with you on this, i have never been treated rudely or disrespectfully by any IO

An opinion of  one, I  have on   my first marriage extension about 7 years  ago my Wife had to go into the head man's  office to complain where the guy WAS  reeled  in about it, since then  only on slight  issue which was dealt with by another officer  having a word with the other  officer briefly  ad after that there was  an immediate change. That's two incidents in 7  years.

We live a  long way from immigration and the first man was a  complete moron.

On 4/1/2020 at 9:59 PM, GalaxyMan said:

It seems to be a pretty prevalent attitude in Asia in general. They all think that they're the best, that anyone and everyone else is lower on the scale, an inflated superiority complex which is really just a cover for their basic insecurity about themselves. Thank you, Dr. Freud! ????

I can't agree to that any more. It is all same in Asia. I just exchanged a mail with Chinese PhD who wrote to me about the superiority of East over west after I said 'no' to Thai lady listening to ThaiVisa forum opinions. It is like an ancient Chinese proverb, a frog in the well.  

Edited by Retarded

1 hour ago, Retarded said:

I can't agree to that any more. It is all same in Asia. I just exchanged a mail with Chinese PhD who wrote to me about the superiority of East over west after I said 'no' to Thai lady listening to ThaiVisa forum opinions. It is like an ancient Chinese proverb, a frog in the well.  

Read Michael Pilsbury's China - The Hundred-Year Marathon if you want to learn about Chinese attitudes towards anyone else.

On 4/6/2020 at 8:39 AM, Vigilante said:

You are right.

..but this nicety will be very superficial

You will never have any friends here

I surely don't and I tried.

Making friends is a matter of chance anywhere. 

20 hours ago, baansgr said:

Ask those tons of foreigners how they feel once they have lived here for a while

In general I find the Thai people similar to everywhere. Stereotypes are dangerous. I spent over 5 years in China so I am not just comparing to my home country.

The problem for us long-stay foreigners has become the government especially the immigration department. They are becoming draconian; the recent example of needing 10 items to get a 30 day extension that should have been a piece of cake is a good example. "For national security" was their excuse. Even the Bangkok Post took them to task for that line. The chief of Immigration harangued Richard Barrow for revealing that changes were waiting on the PM's desk and even then he had to fire one more shot at him ("Who is this Richard Barrow?")  and at farangs for listening to rumours. Next day the easing order was signed and the Immi chief knew it would be. So revealing of his attitude. Meanwhile the Tourism department trumpeted the changes. So contradictory.

many Thais have a limited view of the world. they think Thailand is the best country in the world, that the Thai people are the best people in the world. my thai friend wants to fly with thai airways only, despite the fact that there are better international airlines on the same airline. thais think since childhood, all Thai is better than abroad. Thai people do not see that Thailand has the highest corruption, high crime rate, food in 7/11 poor quality, uncritical thinking. I have to talk a lot with my girlfriend to convince her. A typical example of Thai nationalism and superiority is the FB group's Spotlight Phuket ( now Spotlight Thailand2) admin. He despises tourists and foreigners. is incredible, he presents himself as a benefactor, and a person with a good heart... but, he did this video,where he speaks vulgar to tourists.. yes, this is the look of some thais to us ... https://streamable.com/jckp6l?fbclid=IwAR2U_DrAq-30SvZFoU5g_p2BAle0FA3VyyMCJ8dRZPBpB9cqzzCIgQFtON8  

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/crime/facebook-page-advocates-violence-against-<deleted>-tourists-in-phuket

• Thanks 1

Reading the majority of posts on TVF, it is not surprising at all, why there is such a disdain of foreigners.

I dread what the situation would be, if a many Thai's read this forum! With such attitudes aired herein, thank your lucky stars that still you can live and move around freely in TH.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, ravip said:

Reading the majority of posts on TVF, it is not surprising at all, why there is such a disdain of foreigners.

I dread what the situation would be, if a many Thai's read this forum! With such attitudes aired herein, thank your lucky stars that still you can live and move around freely in TH.

You think it's a one way street.........?

Even a Thai senior official thinks farangs are dirty foreigners, how would he know...

Open your eyes chap...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, transam said:

You think it's a one way street.........?

Even a Thai senior official thinks farangs are dirty foreigners, how would he know...

Open your eyes chap...

Thank you, for advice that relate to many! I would like to add a wee bit more to take your advice up to a higher level...

Open your eyes and mind chaps - Because, it is the mind that interprets what the eye see!

Definitely it is not a one way street. With decades of foreign chaps settling down in TH, they have managed to spoil things for themselves with their cavalier attitudes. What the foreign chaps don't realise is that they are playing this game on foreign soil against the natives themselves!

I am sure, not a single Thai person is bringing any foreign chap to Thailand and forcing them to retire in their country. Always it is the foreign chaps that are unhappy in their homeland and shift to Thailand, and then try to 'convert' Thailand conditions to their homelands environment - failure on this, makes them frustrated, hateful, angry what not. The few who can, return to their homelands and lead a normal life... the others, who have no choice, keep bashing all around and make things worse to all foreigners - so, "a Thai senior official thinks farangs are dirty foreigners", is something they brought upon themselves voluntarily, and as time goes on, it can become worse.

This post will definitely attract a lot of sad, confused emojis, proving it's contents beyond any doubt! Any post that points out foreign chaps bad, confuses them, sadly.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, ravip said:

Thank you, for advice that relate to many! I would like to add a wee bit more to take your advice up to a higher level...

Open your eyes and mind chaps - Because, it is the mind that interprets what the eye see!

Definitely it is not a one way street. With decades of foreign chaps settling down in TH, they have managed to spoil things for themselves with their cavalier attitudes. What the foreign chaps don't realise is that they are playing this game on foreign soil against the natives themselves!

I am sure, not a single Thai person is bringing any foreign chap to Thailand and forcing them to retire in their country. Always it is the foreign chaps that are unhappy in their homeland and shift to Thailand, and then try to 'convert' Thailand conditions to their homelands environment - failure on this, makes them frustrated, hateful, angry what not. The few who can, return to their homelands and lead a normal life... the others, who have no choice, keep bashing all around and make things worse to all foreigners - so, "a Thai senior official thinks farangs are dirty foreigners", is something they brought upon themselves voluntarily, and as time goes on, it can become worse.

This post will definitely attract a lot of sad, confused emojis, proving it's contents beyond any doubt! Any post that points out foreign chaps bad, confuses them, sadly.

<snip>The Internet is full of Thai's luring farangs to set up shop in LOS.

Yes there are cavalier farang "hi-so's", but we are all different, but there are zillions of Thais who welcome ANY farang to take them out of their LOS no social security nightmare....

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Are you suggesting that the negative opinions expressed here are inaccurate. There is a very great deal wrong with Thailand, and even many Thais if they are honest would agree with that - despite being brainwashed from birth to believe that everything about the country is perfect and there is nowhere better in the entire world. Not many people, but some. And in my experience, a vast majority of Thais who become aware of the immigration rules nonsense agree that it is exactly what it is, nonsense. The people are often okay. The government often is not, both for foreigners and Thais. Not one of the 50+ friends of my wife, nor any of her family, have anything but contempt for the government. So, not all the negative comments come from foreigners on TVF.

No, I am not suggesting that the negative opinions expressed here are ALL inaccurate. 

Brainwashed from birth - happens ONLY to Thais?

What country is perfect?

Which countries immigration laws are perfect?

These questions one can argue till the cows come home, ços 'attitudes' makes it impossible to accept certain realities.

One has to make the best, in a given situation.

On 4/2/2020 at 11:18 AM, ezzra said:

Anyone who will come into your home/domain and make you see how inferior and backward they way you go about everything, you too will not have a lot of love and admiration for such person...

And I have met plenty of them.

From the Builder, to the person doing some odd jobs about the place for me and the Missus.

All of them with this " we are Asia,s answer to the Superior Race " attitude.

Well, I can honestly say that each, and every one of them with this attitude toward me is politely shown to the door, and told to F@@* Off, and not to return.

27 minutes ago, ravip said:

No, I am not suggesting that the negative opinions expressed here are ALL inaccurate. 

Brainwashed from birth - happens ONLY to Thais?

What country is perfect?

Which countries immigration laws are perfect?

These questions one can argue till the cows come home, ços 'attitudes' makes it impossible to accept certain realities.

One has to make the best, in a given situation.

Well...you are certainly a one-stop shop....that's for sure!

When perseverance becomes perseveration.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

And I have met plenty of them.

From the Builder, to the person doing some odd jobs about the place for me and the Missus.

All of them with this " we are Asia,s answer to the Superior Race " attitude.

Well, I can honestly say that each, and every one of them with this attitude toward me is politely shown to the door, and told to F@@* Off, and not to return.

Thats the way to go! More natives will love the foreign chaps more and more!

The chances are high, your last sentence will return to you in a x10 worse manner! Enjoy life...