Why is there such a disdain of foreigners

Bangkok Barry

46 minutes ago, wotsdermatter said:

There is no such thing you mention, an inflated superiority complex.  A superiority complex is defined as an inflated sense of being better than others and a prime example of such is a person having the feeling of self-importance to always talk about how they can do everything better than others.  The best way to deal with such people is to not pick a verbal fight with them because you will lose.  Instead aim for short, sharp responses that will make them think hard about what they are doing (and give them time to do this).  In the end, if they cannot move from their self imposed position of superiority and insist on taking more than they give, then go elsewhere.  If they are friends, dump them.  The same goes for never arguing with an idiot, a person on the lowest level of any IQ scale.  Such a person will beat you down and win by experience.

Clinical Psychologist, retired.

good point....no idea why reading it made me think about Yinn 555

Edited by Mavideol
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Reading these comments made me think the easy answer to get respect would be to insist on a Farang uniform for all foreigners. I favour the white formal military ones but without all the epaulettes, medals and ribbons.

Teachers at Government Schools have that same uniform for after school and formal events....

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil, trust us, farangs are dirty because we know and say so !

My wife has never seen Thailand so clearer since she lived with me abroad for 9 years, she hates it !!!

So has mine. Her rose-tinted glasses had shattered. 

In fact, she is the one who would like to leave and move back to Europe. Lol

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KhunFred said:

When you lack intelligence and the rule of law, the obvious path of least resistance is to blame non-Thais. This basic concept works well for people like Donald Trump, who demonizes the hardest working people in America. (Mexicans) In like manner, the Thais are past masters of scapegoating farang. The hatred for advanced legal systems and enlightened economic practice is an integral part of Thai thinking. 

Never miss an opportunity to demonize Trump, hah? Believe it or not we don't all come from the USA...

Ironically, you're doing exactly the same with Trump as what Thais do with Farang. You blame him for everything that goes wrong.

People always like to blame someone or something for their suffering. That leaves Thais with a choice between an invisible virus or very visible Farang. We are the obvious and easy target.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Britain directly and indirectly had a massive amount of influence on Siam's modernisation during the late 19th early to early 20th

Yes, and complete control of the Teak trade was what they got in return.

1 hour ago, tonray said:

Yes...I can imagine them leaving it like India and parts of Africa, pillaged for her resources and left with some neat old colonial buildings for postcards

But they left India much more CIVILIZED than they found it. Conquest and brutal subjugation WORKS, unlike the wimpy, politically correct approach. Contrary to popular belief, you DO NOT have the right to be uncivilized.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, garrya said:

So has mine. Her rose-tinted glasses had shattered. 

In fact, she is the one who would like to leave and move back to Europe. Lol

Same, same, I said ok then, you come up with 700,000 baht a year for the rent and I will pay for the rest, i.e. I am not going to waste my savings on rent when it cost us nothing to live in our 6 bedroom house, she said she would get a job, I said forget it as I wouldn't have anyone home to bust their balls ????