Social Security Deposited Into Thai Bank Account

I have an account with Bangkok Bank and would like to have my Social Security payments deposited directly into that account instead of into my US bank account.

Has anyone done this or know if it is possible?

Although it is possible to deposit to a special no ATM access account with Bangkok Bank it is not possible to directly deposit to a normal passbook savings account due to death fraud possibilities. The procedure is outlined on the US Embassy Bangkok web site FAQ as below. I highly advise keeping a US bank account open regardless. Most of use deposit to US account and wire transfer large amounts as needed.

I would like to Direct Deposit to a Thailand-Based Bank. What do I need to do?

Only the Bangkok Bank of Thailand provides Direct Deposit service for persons who receive benefits from the following agencies: Social Security Administration (SSA), Veterans Administration (VA), and Civil Service.

1. Open “Direct Deposit” Account at the Bangkok Bank branch nearest your home.

The Bank will assist you in opening a “Direct Deposit Account. We suggest you to clearly tell staff that this account is for receiving pension from SSA, or VA.

2. Sign up Form 1199: Please bring 3 completed forms sf1199 to a Head Quarter of Bangkok Bank. Bank will forward your completed Direct Deposit form (Form 1199 A) to SSA in US. You will be able to access your benefits from the Bangkok Bank branch near your house after your request has been completely processed. This often takes a few months. For more information please contact:

Bangkok Bank Public Company Limited

Foreign Exchange Service Section

Retail Payment Services Department

333 Silom Road, Bkk. 10500

Tel: (02) 230-1322-3

I went through the procedures to set up the direct deposit...There was only one difficulty...You have to go to the branch that you want to use and open a "Direct Deposit" account. I sat with the bank official and repeatedly explained what I needed and I got the typical "No Problem" and he opened the account. I then proceeded to the main branch on Silom Road to turn in the paperwork to be sent to SS. Well, the "No Problem" bank official at the branch set up the wrong account. We called him on the phone and explained what was needed...He had never heard of a direct deposit acct. So back to the branch, set up the acct and back to Silom for the paper work..

Then you have to go to the branch every month and update your deposit book and then get in a line to withdraw the funds...Oh yes, you also need your passport....So it is a time consuming thing...I got tired of all the hassle and after 6 months, I just changed mine back to the US bank...