Farming work abroad for Thais

A few Thai people I know are keen to work on farms abroad and some have expressed an interest in Australia. My understanding is that there is a small quota available for this type of work in Australia.

Where can I go to find information for them on countries that need farm workers along with requirements and visa costs, etc please.

Thanks in advance.

• Confused 1

Korea is the easiest option, turn up get a stamp and then become a little ghost for years working in the fields..salary 30k baht month upwards. However its gonna be a long time befor the people you know can travel anywhere....you are aware of the current worldwide situation?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Korea is the easiest option, turn up get a stamp and then become a little ghost for years working in the fields..salary 30k baht month upwards. However its gonna be a long time befor the people you know can travel anywhere....you are aware of the current worldwide situation?

Yes agreed not looking to do it for a while just enquiring about the possibility and requirements. Their preference is Australia ideally as they speak English.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, stament said:

Yes agreed not looking to do it for a while just enquiring about the possibility and requirements. Their preference is Australia ideally as they speak English.

Language isn't a problem, 250,000 little ghosts work in S.Korea, all run by Thais

OP once the travel restriction are lifted there should be plenty of farm jobs. I live in the Noosa area, always foreigners passing through doing regional farm work. Just be aware some foreign manual workers are exploited, so be careful. if at all possible avoid labour brokers. Pantip may be useful. Some links you may find interesting...

https://www.sbs.com.au/language/english/australia-relaxes-english-requirement-for-migrant-farm-workers-offers-pathway-to-permanent-residency

https://jobsearch.gov.au/harvest

https://www.agrilabour.com.au/news/agricultural-worker-visa-changes/

https://au.jora.com/Visa-Fruit-Picking-jobs-in-Australia?psi=_haHstxYXwTx2YTAig7Z-37c20a30f04b5d2bd670ebcd71bdf021-sifwdcl5Ozx2gsUHUCGQ&sp=suggested&ssr=8&sol-precursor=3d99231d-5e15-4534-b36e-f7e88e4acf40&sol-originator=rs_serp

Edited by simple1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bramley said:

UK is currently desperate for farm workers post brexit. Plus you can go there with zero tests for covid-19.

The only barrier will be the fact you will never get a Visa or manage to get a flight there. 

Edited by Muzzique
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, pdtokyo said:

In normal times, this is as good a place to start as any ...

https://www.fruitpickingjobs.com.au/

or if your friends are younger age bracket and looking for holiday/experience rather than money ...

https://wwoof.com.au/

... but as is obvious and stated above, these are not normal times and even the most optimistic estimates have Oz borders closed to incoming non-Oz citizens for 6 months.

Currently, Oz government, like all others, is encouraging non-citizens of all types to leave Australia, despite the immediate need for migrant workers.

With unemployment > 10% here, there will be great pressure on the local workforce to fill these jobs as soon as internal 'lockdown' regulations are refined to restore movement of workers from urban -> regional areas.

Bottom line, my guess is Australia will be off the map for foreign workers (except maybe doctors/nurses/ventilator technicians!) until mid 2021.

I'm not sure about the borders being closed for that long...never seen that prediction anywhere. I think borders may slowly re-open starting next month or at the latest by June HOWEVER there will be few flights and given the economic situation, foreigners simply won't be wanted until there is a shortage of local workers, and that won't happen until they're all re-employed.

Thus mid 2021 may be too optimistic. Perhaps 2025 is more accurate. In the meantime, foreign holidaymakers may be allowed in, as well as a few highly skilled workers and others who are in short supply. Unskilled labor, is easy to tap from the masses of un and under-employed locals.

9 hours ago, Bramley said:

UK is currently desperate for farm workers post brexit. Plus you can go there with zero tests for covid-19.

When the world gets back to normal,the UK would be a good idea ,the season should start in June with strawberries,then goes on with top fruit.

Some homework would be needed, visa's  and I would say a few other hoops to jump through.   

Be careful make sure get all the specifics. A couple of wife’s friends 

went to SK and worked on a farm. May not be everyone but these

two went on tourist visa. One hated it so bad came back before 30 days.

Thai's under 30 can apply for A WHV visa if they hold a degree. Thy need to be authorised by the Thai Government

If they have relevant skills and experience in Agriculture and they have a employer willing to sponsor them they can be considered for 491 or  407 training visa.  Thai's have some advantage in that they are covered by the Australian/Thai trade agreement

Edited by OffshoreMig

On 4/4/2020 at 10:46 AM, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

Forget Australia virus numbers nearly 3 times Thailand numbers.

????????????

Yes that could be the case for the short term.  (Hopefully this will be reviewed in May/June. I would not be holding my breath). Currently only Family members, Permanent Residents (Who hold a visa) and Citizens  are being allowed to fly into Australia BUT Airfares are over the top.  Price gauging. The cost of securing a visa and travel outweigh any benefits.  The government was looking at issuing an Agricultural visa a subclass 491 is possible

Edited by OffshoreMig

I'd suggest Taiwan.  They have (had) 700,000 migrant workers in everything from desperately needed farm workers to fisheries, house work and tech assembly.  

The weather and conditions are closest to that of Thailand and I'd rather have a Taiwanese boss over a Korean or Japanese.

I wouldn't recomment young women though as they have problems with prostitution like Japan, Korea, etc.