Withholding Thai Passport From Thai National

without too much mumbojumbo, why are the thai police withholding my b/f's passport (he is thai)? I don't ask too many questions about people's past (cuz it is past) but i do know that b/f was "idiot"/"crazy" (his mother's words) when he was younger. he wanted to get his passport, then visa to travel to canada (where i live). but police are asking $$$$ to have his name removed from the computer (10,000 baht i think) and i also learned last night that b/f must go to "monkey house" (his mom's words again) to do "exercise" and he won't be given his passport for 6 months.

b/f was pretty upset on the phone last night telling me so i didn't want to prod any further at that time.

does anyone have any experiences or stories about stuff like this that might help me understand more clearly what is going on (aside from his bad a** behaviour when he was younger). I am obviously missing a page in the b/f's life story.

Sassie

I am obviously missing a page in the b/f's life story.

I think it's not just a page and more likely to be volumes.

By the sound of it though it will just be the first 10,000 Baht of many, many thousands that will follow.

This guy sounds like he doesn't have a lot going for him in most departments.

You might think otherwise, but if are determined to persevere with this relationship you're heading for years of misery.

Thanks, I need to hear those thoughts from outside of my own head. Yeh, just keep second guessing and third guessing. Guess the guessing is over. :D Tsk tsk, he is so sweet. Oh well, as my flight is booked for October, I guess I will see where he is at at that time. Hmmm, wonder if he will explain all this to me should I venture into his town to visit (heck maybe he would be so kind as to enlighten me over the phone). But no need to worry my head over this, October will come when it comes and I shall take it from there.

cheerio and thank you both for enlightening me. :o

Sassie

I would like to know if the THAI police told you that you have to pay 10,000 baht or it is the guy telling you that he needs to get the money to "PAY THIS BRIBE" ? If it's the guy, then you do not need to send the money as it will only go for him to party with. If it's the Thai police (and I doubt this very much) then this is just corruption and you should report this (not that it would go anywhere here). If you get this in "writing", then and only then would I believe it. :o

I would like to know if the THAI police told you that you have to pay 10,000 baht or it is the guy telling you that he needs to get the money to "PAY THIS BRIBE" ? If it's the guy, then you do not need to send the money as it will only go for him to party with. If it's the Thai police (and I doubt this very much) then this is just corruption and you should report this (not that it would go anywhere here). If you get this in "writing", then and only then would I believe it. :o

I'm with you Mr K. It sounds like the Thai could be trying a scam on the lady. Let the thing play itself out.