Seashore Paspalum Grass

http://www.tee2greenthailand.com/turf-product/

Be aware, this is an invasive species, a weed in rice crops and mangroves.

https://www.cabi.org/isc/datasheet/110291

Summary of Invasivenes

Paspalum vaginatum, commonly known as seashore paspalum and by many other names, is a species of perennial grass which can be found in wet, saline habitats. Reported to have originated from the Americas, it can be a serious weed of rice in West Africa. In coastal habitats, it can spread at 1-2 m per year and become dominant over native vegetation. In New Zealand, it is of concern having invaded the nesting areas of the endangered New Zealand fairy tern (Sterna nereis), threatening a range of uncommon or endangered plant species, and possibly affecting fish breeding. PIER (2016) assesses it as a 'High Risk' species (score 7) for the Pacific islands and confirms it as invasive in Hawaii (on golf courses) and the Marshall Islands, also on Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean. In Spain it is classed as a species with ‘clear invasive behaviour; dangerous (causing ecological damage or alteration) for natural ecosystems’ (Dana et al., 2007). Similarly it is regarded as a threat to native vegetation in California, USA (Riefner and Columbus, 2008).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, malcolminthemiddle said:

Thanks Dr Treelove,

I was quoted 150 baht/m2 by tee2green excl delivery and laying.

Having difficulty justifying this very high price.

I don't know them or their operation, I just had the website link in my resources file. 

I'm sure its a "supply and demand" thing. Where else are you going to get it? It's not a common landscape grass in Thailand. 

I assume you want this invasive "knot-weed" because of seaside saline and maybe wet growing conditions where other grasses will not grow. Talk with Ben at ThaiGardenDesign dot com. They may have other resources or alternatives. 

One of the reasons golf courses use this grass is it's low water quality and consumption over other commonly used fairway grasses, Around 20% less. To lay it correctly using the minimum of maintenance required in the future the following method was recommended to me. As mentioned this grass is invasive. A quick summary from memory.

Strip off all existing vegetation from planting area.

Replace with ????? inches of graded aggregate then sand.

Cover and seal area and sterilize with ????? fungicide.

Wick the growing area with vertical plastic sheet to a depth of ???? to prevent invasion from surrounding native vegetation or vice versa.

This grass is fertilizer critical not too little nor too much. Needs regular soil analyzing.

Must be regularly mown to prevent surface thatch.

Grass is susceptible to disease.

The plus point is it makes a fabulous deep green lawn.

Would I recommend it for home use. No.

My seashore lawn lasted about 5 years before maintenance became too time consuming. I replanted with Malaysia broadleaf.

Edited by Toosetinmyways