Baht bus covidential (sic) -- are the new spacing rules being respected or not?

Jingthing

Pattaya has reduced the number of baht buses greatly and is now trying to "suggest' that there be only FIVE people on each bus, plus disinfecting.

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/03/29/pattaya-city-reduces-songtaew-fleet-from-712-to-200-limit-of-five-passengers-a-bus-due-to-covid19-and-social-distancing/

Pattaya City reduces Songtaew fleet from 712 to 200, limit of five passengers a bus due to Covid19 and social distancing

I haven't actually ridden a bus in weeks now because I'm doing my best to stay home as much as possible so even though there are things I do want in town (Pattaya) even with malls and restaurants closed, I've resisted so far.

But I hope to ride again.

So for people that are riding the buses in these difficult times, please share your experiences with the new spacing rules. Are people respecting them? If not, are passengers trying to enforce the rules, or even drivers? I've been skeptical that people will really follow these rules but I have no personal experience yet to really know.

Also is the fare still 10 baht? 

Personally I think they should require all riders to wear masks as well. 

I haven't been on a bus lately but I was on a bus some weeks ago and some maskless bozos were coughing on it and not even really trying to deflect their sprays. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

In my experience people are self distancing. I wouldn't have known that the number of busses had been so reduced without you posting as such. I am sometimes sat alone on a bus. Masks are de riguer and rightly so. I use a baht bus to go to the supermarket or pharmacy.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, champers said:

In my experience people are self distancing. I wouldn't have known that the number of busses had been so reduced without you posting as such. I am sometimes sat alone on a bus. Masks are de riguer and rightly so. I use a baht bus to go to the supermarket or pharmacy.

Is there are signage on the buses (and or those X marks on the seats as in the article) to inform people of the new policy?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Jingthing I dont know why you have such a hard-on for Conrona and baht buses....Do we really need more threads on the subject?

Even if  someone believes in Corona just the way its presented in the press , the baht buses are open air and not a threat to anyone.....

And just to fill you in there are hardly enough riders left in Pattaya to even have 5 people riding at once any more....

I'll ignore your obvious attempt at yet another stalking / baiting post (this time oddly sexualized) and address the content which is actually serious and important. 

Social distancing is in effect basically globally. 

Indoors and outdoors. 

Why? 

Because this new virus is massively infectious. 

Much more than flu. 

Besides being spread via the obvious coughing and sneezing it also spreads via speaking, singing, and yes even just breathing. 

Masks are good but people must practice social distance as well. 

If baht bus riders are not aware of the new rules of 5 on a bus they are just going to board the next bus as usual and sometimes crowd the busses. 

So not putting up signs was negligent. 

Also of course virus stays on public surfaces that people touch and then other people touch and then touch their faces. 

Metal is particularly bad as the virus may remain active for multiple days on metal and people tend to touch the rails and outer metal on the busses when getting on and off.

So if they really are disinfecting the busses occasionally that's better than nothing. 

• Like 1

Sorry if you think I was stalking I was not.....With so many people unemployed the baht buses are needed more than ever.....The baht buses are much safer than taxis being open air and all.....I ride them every day with no problems at all...

Edited by fforest1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Sorry if you think I was stalking I was not.....With so many people unemployed the baht buses are needed more than ever.....The baht buses are much safer than taxis being open air and all.....I ride them every day with no problems at all...

No. 

You were. 

I know you were because of a persistent pattern of such personally insulting posts. 

Again I know you aren't listening but for the sake of others social distancing is supposed to be observed both indoors and outdoors. 

Yes even walking and standing on streets, in parks and beaches, and certainly on public transportation open air or not. 

In fact on a moving vehicle I would assume droplets would tend to often travel even further. Yes some may fly out of the bus but others would go further within the bus. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, tifino said:

thinking of that shiny chrome surface, for the virus to cling to!

image.jpeg.98fd907a7d5edfcd16f66e77c233c305.jpeg 

If thats the cases then these grocery baskets must be ticking time bombs....Friendship, Tops, Big C, Tesco all have them.....Many people touching them all day long....

Plastic Grocery Market Shopping Basket

Edited by fforest1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

If thats the cases then these grocery baskets must be ticking time bombs....Friendship, Tops, Big C, Tesco all have them.....Many people touching them all day long....

Plastic Grocery Market Shopping Basket

It is definitely the case and thats why in the US and I presume other countries it's now common for people to wipe such surfaces with disinfectant wipes. But avoiding touching your face and hand washing after such exposure would work too. 

• Like 1

And how social distancing considered as is in case with using moto taxis, especially is it "finable" too by RTP ?

Or is only baht bus use allowed , confusing times …. 

1 minute ago, david555 said:

And how social distancing considered as is in case with using moto taxis, especially is it "finable" too by RTP ?

Or is only baht bus use allowed , confusing times …. 

I don't think social distancing is being enforced by fines here. 

But you are right that riding motor taxis would be very close contact and an infection risk for both. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

But you are right that riding motor taxis would be very close contact and an infection risk for both. 

As I just now saw the first moto taxi coming ,and sit on his stand, normally  4 to 5 on 1 stand and opposite road 3 , now only one whole area 

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

And not forgetting we are putting that salad bowl helmet on our head that had many before us on (sweating ) head 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, david555 said:

And not forgetting we are putting that salad bowl helmet on our head that had many before us on (sweating ) head 

Wow. I hadn't thought of that. Not good. It was bad enough before with the risk of lice. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Wow. I hadn't thought of that. Not good. It was bad enough before with the risk of lice. 

I've ALWAYS said I'd rather walk than use one of those filthy (and basically useless) "helmets"

As I VERY rarely ride motorcycles of any sort, it rarely affects me but I have been known to keep a light baseball cap handy to put on before the helmet.

Better than nothing I guess....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It is definitely the case and thats why in the US and I presume other countries it's now common for people to wipe such surfaces with disinfectant wipes. But avoiding touching your face and hand washing after such exposure would work too. 

As you mentioned other countries, where I am in UK, the supermarket staff are cleansing the handles between users.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, VBF said:

I've ALWAYS said I'd rather walk than use one of those filthy (and basically useless) "helmets"

As I VERY rarely ride motorcycles of any sort, it rarely affects me but I have been known to keep a light baseball cap handy to put on before the helmet.

Better than nothing I guess....

Good idea , I know they are as good as useless , but just avoiding the tea money fine...,as I use them moto taxi  regularly I thought some time to buy my own.....

especially as I have bin catapulted by a scooter when by foot  crossing Theprasit rd. at the Sukhumvit traffic lights and landed on my back but backhead came second anyway in contact concrete …… dizzy , but ended all ok 

1 minute ago, david555 said:

Good idea , I know they are as good as useless , but just avoiding the tea money fine...,as I use them moto taxi  regularly I thought some time to buy my own.....

especially as I have bin catapulted by a scooter when by foot  crossing Theprasit rd. at the Sukhumvit traffic lights and landed on my back but backhead came second anyway in contact concrete …… dizzy , but ended all ok 

If you were a cat you'd be down to 8 (lives)! ????Glad you got away without concussion or worse.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VBF said:

If you were a cat you'd be down to 8 (lives)! ????Glad you got away without concussion or worse.

oh very dizzy ,the driver called her mother , they would bring hospital , I refused , they ring a friend nurse to convince me , I said no way , so they thought I had no insurance or visa , showed my 1 year ret. ext . , just called their hospitals thieves for farang …. they chuckled???? ….,just asked to bring me home with mother car , I knew I had light brain concussion as light disturbed me and like to vomit but didn't …, so sleep brought me back to normal by next day, only day & few days after got the feeling that a GoGo bouncer group could give I guess to m body .

Lucky I am not made from glass ????... but helmet needed guy's don't risk it on your "monsters" and scooters , only as by walking look stupid to carry one  55555 , however it took some weeks before I crossed there again , normal best place as 1 side of road traffic stand still on lights , and yellow line would be safe …. but not so respected by Thai crossing it  to pass waiting traffic cars as happened ….

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I haven't actually ridden a bus in weeks now because I'm doing my best to stay home as much as possible so even though there are things I do want in town (Pattaya) even with malls and restaurants closed, I've resisted so far.

Get an empty baht bus and do a private hire. The driver would maybe bite your hand off for 150 baht. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Not practical for very far destinations. So you walk from Jomtien to Naklua? 

Even before we were in total lock down the majority of baht buses I saw were empty. I walked from Foodmart in Jomtien to the Beer Garden in Pattaya a couple of weeks ago and just for the hell of it counted the baht bus situation coming out of Pattaya up to Jomtien, 20 out of 27 were completely empty and only 4 were full. Don't get on at the fill up points and choose an empty one riding along. 

It was a non issue 2 weeks ago and it's definately a non issue now.