Worst nightmare - Daughter Speaking American!

3 minutes ago, phetphet said:

You think that's bad.

My girlfriend's daughter is picking up my cockney accent.

I keep having to correct her when she replaces "th" with "f", and dropping t's at the end of words.

Seems funny hearing a little Thai girl speak English with a cockney accent.

Learning french as well.

Regarding the American accent. I think they pick a lot of that up from watching US TV, and youtube videos.

My kids know some Cockney rhyming slang. They don't have a US accent but sometimes use US words. 

To be honest, I occasionally use US pronunciation, as I've worked with US people for many years and actually work for a US company. Schedule, banquet, and pronunciation are three I can think of at the moment.

3 hours ago, Traubert said:

There is a translator on CGTN who clearly has had at some stage an English teacher from the Leeds district. Please be careful.

I sometimes hear my flat vowels from the wife and shudder.

Leeds ?? The center  of Gods own country . If you think Leeds sound bad, try Barnsley !

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I suppose we all want our offspring to have an accent similar to ours, or at least from the country where we come from.

Look at the bright side.  You would be speaking German had it not been for the Americans saving yer butts in WW1 and WW2.  Show some respect and deference.

• Haha 2

A lot of student are exposed to so much social media that it's hard to tell what is "American", "British" or "Australian" English.   It's been blended more and more in recent years.   Add to that that new phrases and words are constantly being added and it's hard to know it's origin.  

• Like 1

Well my son spoke/speaks the queens English due to me. Unfortunately due to online games where the pride of American Youth are predominant he has started to pick up a slight American accent as well as slang and a plethora of swear words which aren't used by me (at least not at home) "feg you bitch" is mild. One can only come down on your child like a ton of bricks even for such outliers as 'tomaytoes instead of tomatoes, that works. I only converse with my son in English which his mother can't understand so he continually has to switch between Thai (which I speak) and English so when he starts to use an American accent I tell him if he can't speak English then he should speak Thai with me, this seems to shame him into self correction but puberty is subversive, he is 12 yrs old so a natural resistance is starting to show  "I can speak the way I want", I then remove his cable from my modem to his laptop and he suddenly remembers his love for the queen's English again. 

• Like 1

This isn't one bit a nightmare!  The nightmare you think you have really isn't!  The fact that your daughter want to get the hell out you should be proud jump for joy instead of worrying how she says it!  You might want to expose yourself too?

Edited by thailand49

Grammar rules change, how we Americans speak also changes depending on who we're speaking with. 

Here's a novel idea, WHY DOJT PARENTS demand to speak to the foreign teachers during parent/teachers conference? Thai students are notorious for leaving words out.  Don't judge a teacher You never met! 

I find it amusing when Brits and Australians make fun of American speaking English. We don't speak British style English, we speak American English. While similar, it's quite different than British style English. I come from California and am regularly praised for speaking in a clear and understandable voice. I've no accent and can't understand much of what Brits from certain parts of English say. There's a mumble to there speech that I find very hard to unpack. And as for Aussies, I've learned that they simply pronounce the vowels, (aeiou and y) differently that I do. Their A sounds like my I. But once I train my ear to understand their pronunciation, I've little trouble understanding them.. They are generally good natured and friendly people. But hey, how 'bout them Brits!?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, uncleP said:

All "US teachers " have questionable grammar  skills ????

The trouble is you look at most of the signage here it is in 'Americanlish'!!! Because the spelling is easier and most assume it is true 'English' anyway????????????????????????????????

My son often speaks with an American accent, but it’s not from his teachers, it’s from one of his Thai friends at school. He picked it up from YouTube and movies. My son knows it irritates me and he does it to annoy me to his great amusement. 

• Like 1

I’ve worked most of my life in many different locations, and have a sort of “international” accent, but accent apart,  I did get irritated when my daughter was in school in Thailand and her Filipino English teacher would mark up her written work with American spellings rather than what she learnt from me.

Now she’s learning in North America I’m sure I’m going to have the same issue when she comes back. I keep telling her the reason it’s called English is because it’s from England !!! ????

• Like 1

Sure she might be speaking American and as disgusting as it is, at least you are letting her know it is not English.

Never was it so well put as in the musical "My fair Lady" when Rex Harrison declared:- "the American's haven't spoken English for years.

Unfortunately even in Australia some "uneducated" journalists are using the American bastardization of English  intrude into this country.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ehs818 said:

I find it amusing when Brits and Australians make fun of American speaking English. We don't speak British style English, we speak American English. While similar, it's quite different than British style English. I come from California and am regularly praised for speaking in a clear and understandable voice. I've no accent and can't understand much of what Brits from certain parts of English say. There's a mumble to there speech that I find very hard to unpack. And as for Aussies, I've learned that they simply pronounce the vowels, (aeiou and y) differently that I do. Their A sounds like my I. But once I train my ear to understand their pronunciation, I've little trouble understanding them.. They are generally good natured and friendly people. But hey, how 'bout them Brits!?

The other thing is that accents are very diverse in any given country. In the US, for example, someone from Alabama does not sound like someone from NYC.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Goong Ying said:

"the American's haven't spoken English for years.

Can be said for the many British staying in Pattaya.

Ok, I am 71+ and Belgian, English is my 4th. language,

when I went to school it was mandatory to learn the 3 nationals Belgian languages, then English.

So I may not understand everything in English.

However I have no problem at all to understand Sir David Attenborough in his documentaries.

• Haha 1