Changing Gbp To Usd

Hi I'm going to be coming to Thailand shortly and wondered if I was better off changing GBP into USD in UK - exch rate 1.907 as of today. Or am I betting off withdrawing baht when I'm in Thailand at the offshore rate and then buying dollars with my baht?

I know last time I went into the bank with GBP to change into USD in Thailand they didn't have a direct GBP/USD rate so charged me a rate for GBP into THB and then THB to USD which I'm sure proved more expensive.

Obviously I can withdraw THB at the offshore rate whilst in Thailand but I was wondering would this be better than doing a straight GBP to USD in UK?

Thanks

Hi I'm going to be coming to Thailand shortly and wondered if I was better off changing GBP into USD in UK - exch rate 1.907 as of today. Or am I betting off withdrawing baht when I'm in Thailand at the offshore rate and then buying dollars with my baht?

I know last time I went into the bank with GBP to change into USD in Thailand they didn't have a direct GBP/USD rate so charged me a rate for GBP into THB and then THB to USD which I'm sure proved more expensive.

Obviously I can withdraw THB at the offshore rate whilst in Thailand but I was wondering would this be better than doing a straight GBP to USD in UK?

Thanks

"Obviously I can withdraw THB at the offshore rate whilst in Thailand " ??????

Thanks

"Obviously I can withdraw THB at the offshore rate whilst in Thailand " ??????

Yes you got me. I was thinking offshore for England but of course that would be the onshore rate whilst in Thailand. I meant the rate around 68 which you can withdraw from ATM's over there if that makes sense! ;-)

Where's Topfield and co. when you need them?

It's normal practice for banks in most countries to change your source currency into their native home currency before changing into the customers destination currency. Each time you exchange into another currency you pay a margin.

Edited by chiang mai

Sounds like the majority of your spending will be in THB.

I'd pull the money out of the ATM when you get here, or, bring over GBP cash and change it at the currency exchange when you get here into THB.

I'd never use a travelex or any other currency changer in the UK, their spead is way too huge between buy and sell, and they like to charge a mimium 3pounds service fee at least. You won't get any value there.

Once in Thailand, figure out how much USD you'll need and transfer your baht into US, again at the 'onshore rate' and withough the ridiculous fees charged in the UK.

Remember, if you are travelling around Western Cambo and most of Laos, baht is just as readily accepted as USD or the local currency. They are part of the 'baht bloc'.