BOT gives advice on disinfecting cash

snoop1130

BOT gives advice on disinfecting cash

By THE NATION

800_d23f6f8ba2f4f55.jpg

The Bank of Thailand (BOT) has advised people on how to clean banknotes and coins to ensure they are not contaminated with Covid-19 virus.

The BOT said that people could disinfect the notes by soaking them in soap solution or dishwashing liquid for a short period. The notes should then be rinsed with water before being gently dabbed with a cloth and placed under the sun to dry.

The central bank advised people not to clean banknotes with washing powder or bleach, or by baking or boiling them, which would damage the notes.

Furthermore, the BOT said that people should use digital payment methods wherever possible, to avoid touching banknotes and coins which may be contaminated with the virus.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385495

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-06
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My wife has been doing this cleaning of banknotes for 2 weeks now, but she has always viewed banknotes as 'dirty' so I am not surprised.

To be honest we are hardly spending any money right now so not many notes to clean.

Is a discussion about money laundering allowed on TV? ????

Edited by Saltire
  • Like 2

What we know so far:

• traces of the virus can be found up to 24 hours on paper, boxes etc.
  • none of the infection where related to other than human to human contact
  • traces recovered in super infected areas could not be used in laboratories, so been NOT contagious

Stop creating panic and hyper sensitivity. There are simple rules to follow

• stay at home if you can
  • stay min 1.5 meter away of others
  • Cough or sneeze in tissue or better in armpit
  • was your hand properly as often you can
  • if in public wear a face mask (even as the protection is questionable) but no harm done if you wear one

Act as a grow-up adult and stay healthy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

What a load of rubbish, clean your hands before you touch, clean your hands after you touch, how much simpler could it be and if that means cleaning your hands 100 times a day so be it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Saltire said:

My wife has been doing this cleaning of banknotes for 2 weeks now, but she has always viewed banknotes as 'dirty' so I am not surprised.

Is a discussion about money laundering allowed on TV? ????

On a regular day money is filthy-nasty. These days the possibilities for infection bloom like a thousand star of death flowers.

I sat down and thought about not so much washing, rinsing and putting it out on the line to dry, but just kill and kill again.

So I took the spray bottle normally used to mist shirts before ironing and gave all the money a light spray, set the iron to Cotton Setting and got my money to sizzling like bacon on the ironing board. A few 100º higher than needed should be good to kill anything. It looks so nice and crisp!

But, does anybody know why so much money smells like dirty feet?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:
6 hours ago, fxe1200 said:

If you really want to clean your bank notes effectively, just iron them. That is enough heat to destroy the virus.

As long as the notes are not the plastic ones or they will shrink.

Which Thai banknotes are plastic?  The 20s, 50s, 100s, 500s and 1,000s aren't, is there a new note in circulation?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, PeteDaKat said:

But, does anybody know why so much money smells like dirty feet?

There are people who like to fondle their cash, over and over. Also called misers.

I would have thought the easiest way to disinfect notes would be putting them under a UV light for a couple of minutes.

I tried a toaster on a 20 baht note, results were not good.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

Which Thai banknotes are plastic?  The 20s, 50s, 100s, 500s and 1,000s aren't, is there a new note in circulation?

I did not think they were but some might try it with their own currency that is plastic.

5 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

I did not think they were but some might try it with their own currency that is plastic.

All Aussie notes are plastic. Very rarely used by most Australians in Australia, debit and credit cards have taken over.

• Haha 1