Florida Highway Check Point Silliness

Just thought I would pass this on.  At the I-95 border near Georgia and Florida, the police have blocked off the route 17 exit just before the border.  At the highway checkpoint, they ask people where they came from.  If from New York, CT, or New Jersey, they are asking/making people fill out an affidavit affirming they will self quarantine, and put down all sorts of information.  I can not get a copy of the form yet but have seen blurry photos from a newscast.  One person recorded what happened as they drove into the checkpoint.  The "official" asked where were you from. and the driver said Rhode Island.  The official said OK, go on.  I am working in New Jersey but was born and raised in Rhode Island.  It is kind of hard to get from Rhode Island down to Florida without passing through NY, NJ, or CT.  It can be done.  Also, similar things are supposedly happening in South Carolina.  Now the executive orders don't really say if they mean drove through one of those states, stayed there, or what.

So can one drive through South Carolina if not stopping?  Or would SC require a traveler through to stop and self quarantine for 14 days?  I am contemplating driving back to Florida soon as even though I am working in the defense industry, and we have been declared essential workers and have been working through the lockdown, the plant is sporadically closing for deep cleaning. Right now we got told last night closed for three days.  If they keep closing, it is not worth it for me to stay up here, and I will just head home and hang out at my pool.

36 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

So can one drive through South Carolina if not stopping?  Or would SC require a traveler through to stop and self quarantine for 14 days?

In Texas, the quarantine period is 14 days, or until you leave the state- whichever comes first.  That's for people coming from Louisiana, who allowed Mardis Gras festivities to go ahead in spite of the CoVid19.  Who'da figured NOLA would then become a hotspot?

Seems simple enough to self quarantine for a few hundred miles in a car, if you're just passing through.

Edited by impulse

I would advise heading for home (or wherever else you prefer to be stuck for as much as a few months in) as soon as possible.

Travel restrictions are going to grow IMO. While it is hopefully near ts peak in the current hotspots, the virus is just getting started in some states and the states not yet badly hit are likely to increasingly resort to border closures and the like.

• 2 weeks later...

Florida has opened up and is opening up many beaches.  So if one were told to self quarantine for 14 days, can one now go to the beach for a few hours?  Doesn't the beach openings contradict even the current stay at home,  travel for essential things only order?