On a 60 days visit Thai family extension

Hi all,

I'm a UK citizen, have been on a 1 year non-o multiple entry visa based on Thai wife, this ran out February where I then extended it for 60 days in Bangkok, and was planning on going out to get another one when it expires April 30th.

Just wondering what my options would be now? I don't have the 400k requirements met therefore would I be able to extend my current 60 day extension? Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

You can apply for a special 30 day extension. You will need a letter from your embassy.

Or you could try applying for another 60 day extension under 3 of the memorandum for the extensions under this in the police order for extensions of stay.

"5. In the case where an alien applicant does not meet the full qualifications stipulated by the criteria herein or in other cases not specified in this Order but a competent officer equivalent to or higher than inspector is of the opinion that the alien has legitimate reason for staying in the Kingdom of Thailand, the application shall be forwarded to the Commander of the Royal Thai Police or an authorized competent officer for further consideration of the alien's application."

That would be a waiver of the one per entry part of the clause for 60 day extensions in the police order,

I am in a similar situation as the OP, married with family here. My Retirement extension expired in January while I was unavoidably out of Thailand. I returned in early March on a 30-day visa exempt with the intention of getting the 1-year multi-O in Ho Chi Minh City (then Vietnam initiated inbound quarantines) then the backup plan was for the same visa in Savannakhet (they stopped issuing visas without a Covid-19 free certificate). I re-entered on another 30-day visa exempt before all the borders were closed but that expires late next week.

Should I get the UK embassy letter and just apply for another 30-day extension as a basic tourist?

Will they consider a 60-day extension due to having a Thai partner and family? Is that further extendable? I have had marriage extension before but switched to retirement extensions several years ago. I already have about 9 years of consecutive, uninterrupted marriage or retirement extensions in their database.

As I understand it, they can only issue one 60-day extension against any single entry permission so would they issue 30-day extensions after the 60-day extension expires?

Typically I would visit the office this week and ask but they may be prioritizing those that already know what they need and are there to get it done. They are already busy with the temperature checks and social distancing stuff and only allowing 3 people inside the busy office at time.

33 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for a special 30 day extension. You will need a letter from your embassy.

Or you could try applying for another 60 day extension under 3 of the memorandum for the extensions under this in the police order for extensions of stay.

"5. In the case where an alien applicant does not meet the full qualifications stipulated by the criteria herein or in other cases not specified in this Order but a competent officer equivalent to or higher than inspector is of the opinion that the alien has legitimate reason for staying in the Kingdom of Thailand, the application shall be forwarded to the Commander of the Royal Thai Police or an authorized competent officer for further consideration of the alien's application."

That would be a waiver of the one per entry part of the clause for 60 day extensions in the police order,

Cheers ubonjoe, that's what I'll do then, get the letter and documents prepared but take the Mrs with me, see if can do the 60 days.

14 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I am in a similar situation as the OP, married with family here. My Retirement extension expired in January while I was unavoidably out of Thailand. I returned in early March on a 30-day visa exempt with the intention of getting the 1-year multi-O in Ho Chi Minh City (then Vietnam initiated inbound quarantines) then the backup plan was for the same visa in Savannakhet (they stopped issuing visas without a Covid-19 free certificate). I re-entered on another 30-day visa exempt before all the borders were closed but that expires late next week.

Should I get the UK embassy letter and just apply for another 30-day extension as a basic tourist?

Will they consider a 60-day extension due to having a Thai partner and family? Is that further extendable? I have had marriage extension before but switched to retirement extensions several years ago. I already have about 9 years of consecutive, uninterrupted marriage or retirement extensions in their database.

As I understand it, they can only issue one 60-day extension against any single entry permission so would they issue 30-day extensions after the 60-day extension expires?

Typically I would visit the office this week and ask but they may be prioritizing those that already know what they need and are there to get it done. They are already busy with the temperature checks and social distancing stuff and only allowing 3 people inside the busy office at time.

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm also married, I could have applied for the 60 days, but I never, I got 30 days based on tourism, becuase I've previously got 30 days based ot tourism, and then returned to immigration to get the 60 days based on marriage. I'm banking on that still being the case. And if I'm correct you must apply for 30 days, then 60, you can't do it the way round.

That's at Jomtien, if I'm wrong and things have changed that's obviously cost me 30 days and potentially lots of hassle.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Will they consider a 60-day extension due to having a Thai partner and family? I

No reason not to be able to a 60 day extension if married to or the parent of a Thai.

Read my post prior your's where I wrote it should be possible to get a 2nd one.

If not you could get a 30 day extension if needed.

A letter from the embassy would be needed to get 2nd 30 day extension.

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No reason not to be able to a 60 day extension if married to or the parent of a Thai.

Read my post prior your's where I wrote it should be possible to get a 2nd one.

If not you could get a 30 day extension if needed.

A letter from the embassy would be needed to get 2nd 30 day extension.

Thanks uj... solid advice. I will update with my experience.

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

but how many people ever did get this exception ?

I wish I could go appeal the immigration officer SOMEWHERE in Thailand, outside of court, but a HIGHER rank that denied my extension based of my ex-wife not following a court divorce agreement (provide me with papers for my visa) that clearly stated I can live in the house owned by my ex-wife, but now IO asking for an extra paper that my ex have to sign, which she never will and even I go to court, she cannot be made to sign it anyway and there is no appeal to that either...

but such place does not exist, to challenge such exceptional thing

On 4/7/2020 at 6:52 PM, stevefb23 said:

Cheers ubonjoe, that's what I'll do then, get the letter and documents prepared but take the Mrs with me, see if can do the 60 days.

Or you can wait a couple of days and see if the PM accepts Immigrations proposal for automatic extensions for everybody with a visa/visa exempt and extensions.