5/15 amp meter?

raptorea

Can I run one 18,000 btu haier air inverter on this type of meter? If I understand correctly the inverter system pulls about 8 amps or about 1000 watts. The only thing I have running is a floor fan, 27 inch smart tv, laptop, fridge, couple lights. Any issues with this? I also have a 9000 btu inverter in one bedroom and a 12,000 btu inverter in another bedroom that I only run at night for a few hours and have been doing so for quite some time with no issues at all. All the units have separate 30 amp breakers and never are 3 on at the same time. 

Your 18k BTU A/C will be nearly 2kW when running flat out, yes about 8-9A.

You're probably not actually stressing the meter at all (theoretically 15A max on a 5/15). They're pretty robust anyway, a 100% overload won't blow it up, but it will become inaccurate (and bet it won't read low).

What size is your main breaker?

EDIT Even if you run all your kit you're probably not going over 20A.

13 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Your 18k BTU A/C will be nearly 2kW when running flat out, yes about 8-9A.

You're probably not actually stressing the meter at all (theoretically 15A max on a 5/15). They're pretty robust anyway, a 100% overload won't blow it up, but it will become inaccurate (and bet it won't read low).

What size is your main breaker?

Not sure here is a picture of it. Thank you

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinLaunch

Well that's not going to open in a hurry, 63A on a 5/15 meter, I expect the meter would enter low-earth orbit before the breaker trips (they're not THAT robust ???? ).

Good that it's an RCBO.

With your current loads it's not going to be an issue, but if you add water heaters and the like you should consider upgrading the supply to a 15/45. This may require an upgrade to the wires from the meter.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Well that's not going to open in a hurry, 63A on a 5/15 meter, I expect the meter would enter low-earth orbit before the breaker trips (they're not THAT robust ???? ).

Good that it's an RCBO.

With your current loads it's not going to be an issue, but if you add water heaters and the like you should consider upgrading the supply to a 15/45.

Ok thank you for your time and answers. I did call the pea company and they came and said my current wiring to meter would need changed to handle a 15/45 and the cost of a meter etc.. I thought by doing the math I would be ok. I guess I just need to be careful with microwave, washing machine etc when unit is on or bite the bullet later on and pay for a 15/45.

26 minutes ago, Crossy said:

.. a 5/15 meter, ..

you should consider upgrading the supply to a 15/45.

Before running to the electric company to replace the meter, do ask your wife or other Thai relative if she/he does know something about the 'compensation' from the PEA/MEA now.

I didn't catch it all and not sure but that the bills for 5 amp meters are waived the next months..

2 minutes ago, Metropolitian said:

Before running to the electric company to replace the meter, do ask your wife or other Thai relative if she/he does know something about the 'compensation' from the PEA/MEA now.

I didn't catch it all and not sure but that the bills for 5 amp meters are waived the next months..

They've certainly increased the limit for free power from 50 to 90 units per month, not heard about free for all.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Crossy said:

They've certainly increased the limit for free power from 50 to 90 units per month, not heard about free for all.

Meanwhile I searched and got on the page with this news, and can confirm what Crossy said.

There is an additional group who use more then 90 but no more then 150 units. Can't confirm 100% what it says, maybe Crossy can, but I think the payment period is extended.

18 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Doesnt it have to do with your overall usage if you use over a certain amount of kwh you dont get any type of credit?

Just now, raptorea said:

Doesnt it have to do with your overall usage if you use over a certain amount of kwh you dont get any type of credit?

That's right, use under 90 units per month (for 3 months I think) and it's free, use 91 units and you pay for all of it.

9 minutes ago, Crossy said:

That's right, use under 90 units per month (for 3 months I think) and it's free, use 91 units and you pay for all of it.

I would think pretty hard to do to keep under 90 units per month as a Falang

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, raptorea said:

I would think pretty hard to do to keep under 90 units per month as a Falang

With me "working from home" with the office aircon running (set to 31C mind) we use about 60 units - a day ????

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

With me "working from home" with the office aircon running (set to 31C mind) we use about 60 units - a day ????

yeap maybe could do it with a 15 watt bulb and a flashlight as back up lol

11 minutes ago, raptorea said:

yeap maybe could do it with a 15 watt bulb and a flashlight as back up lol

Mwaaaaaa....  90 units in a month of 30 days that is 3000w for each day.

Something that is running 24hrs hasn't to exceed the 125wH.

You sure can use bit more then a lot of 15 watt bulbs ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

A customer under tariff No. 1.1 who used electricity not over 50 units per month is still get electricity free of charge until December 2015 and since January 2016, customer under tariff No. 1.1 who is not legal entity and used electricity not over 50 units per month for the subsequent 3 consecutive months can use electricity free of charge in the third month

So if the change is not retrospective up to 50 units in February and March gives you free power this month (and future months) if you use up to 90 units. But if you go over in any month you pay that month and the clock gets reset.

There are quite a few local houses who probably haven’t paid for power in years.

• Like 1

It would be a good time to change your meter or name on account if that applies as they are giving refunds for past deposits and not charging any for the near future changes according to my wife.  When I had our 15/45 meter installed a couple of years ago they charged 2000 baht and an inspection of the wiring by PEA was required.  The actual inspector never looked past the meter however.  So if I have been told correctly you would only pay for the  cost to replace the wire between your meter and CU at this time.

14 minutes ago, Metropolitian said:
7 hours ago, GregTN said:

charging any for the near future changes according to my wife.

Do your wife have a source for this? Where did she get that bit of information?

It could relate to the refunds of deposits that are underway for people who have paid all of the last 12 bills on time.

it maybe a misunderstanding.

14 hours ago, Metropolitian said:

Do your wife have a source for this? Where did she get that bit of information?

A neighbor had a name change that was going to cost 2000 baht last month for zero deposit this month.  She was told there was not a meter deposit for this year now.  Check with PEA to make sure this is truly the case as misunderstandings are very common for me.

• 1 year later...
On 4/9/2020 at 5:54 AM, Metropolitian said:

Mwaaaaaa....  90 units in a month of 30 days that is 3000w for each day.

Something that is running 24hrs hasn't to exceed the 125wH.

You sure can use bit more then a lot of 15 watt bulbs ????

I concur, I think 3kWh a day is quite plentiful in this modern era of energy efficient devices!

Do you pay a monthly fee or is it totally free if under 90 units?

1 hour ago, driver52 said:

If you are under the limit (it was 50 units, went up for the pandemic to 90 then 150 and is coming down) then it is free.

FWIW the service charge for a 1.1.1 tariff  is 8.19 baht & for a 1.1.2 is 38.22 baht

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, driver52 said:

I concur, I think 3kWh a day is quite plentiful in this modern era of energy efficient devices!

And you use how much?

Of course you also need to let us know where you are ???? 

With a few LED lights, a small fridge and a flat screen TV (no water heaters) Madam's family in Pha Chi do get under the limit for free power.

• Thanks 1