NO AUTOMATIC EXTENSION for people with covid extension

18 minutes ago, RloLigor said:

So you got an extension of stay until April 29. That date is after March 26, so it will be extended automatically to April 30 and later possibly one or several months more.

I got it today. The officer said I have to come back again on April 29, with a new letter from embassy. No free automatic extension for me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

@ubonjoe So my original date to exit was March 29 using extension of visa exempt. I went on March 26th to get an emergency covid extension so as not to overstay at MTT. I got an under consideration stamp until April 23rd. Do I need to go again or do I have until April 30th? I would think I have automatic extension, but these two reports are worrying, and I am wondering if CW IO has the discretion to interpret it differently.

Just now, RloLigor said:

Probably miscommunication or incorrect information.

Could be but I doubt that me (on the other poster) are the only one who experienced "miscommunication". The office wasn't totally empty, the people before and after me at counter J weren't turned away either, I didn't check their stamps so I can't speak for them, but it seemed to me pretty much business as usual. I am afraid there won't be a lot of other feedbacks to confirm or infirm this because very few people showed up today at the office.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

@ubonjoe So my original date to exit was March 29 using extension of visa exempt. I went on March 26th to get an emergency covid extension so as not to overstay at MTT. I got an under consideration stamp until April 23rd. Do I need to go again or do I have until April 30th? I would think I have automatic extension, but these two reports are worrying, and I am wondering if CW IO has the discretion to interpret it differently.

I think by the time you need to go back, other members would have had a chance to clarify the situation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, uberfarang said:

Could be but I doubt that me (on the other poster) are the only one who experienced "miscommunication". The office wasn't totally empty, the people before and after me at counter J weren't turned away either, I didn't check their stamps so I can't speak for them, but it seemed to me pretty much business as usual. I am afraid there won't be a lot of other feedbacks to confirm or infirm this because very few people showed up today at the office.

Sure. Makes sense. Why would people come? They thought the extensions were automatic, especially after checking the dates on their stamps, and they want to avoid possible infection.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

Sure. Makes sense. Why would people come? They thought the extensions were automatic, especially after checking the dates on their stamps, and they want to avoid possible infection.

Totally coherent if you check the stamp in your passport. Maybe they could have used the word stamp instead of visa.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

Totally agree. I just showed up (and glad I did) because I haven't read yet any "field reports" (at CW) since the announcement came into effect and I was probably in the first ones to have to come back for the "under consideration" stamp, more will follow next week.

Edited by uberfarang
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, audaciousnomad said:

A lot of people who do not follow ThaiVisa forums are about to screwed by this. If they are here on a previously extended visa, and do not come in thinking they have amnesty, they will be in for a RUDE AWAKENING at 500baht for each day that they failed to come in because they were MISLED by the announcement! #BaitAndSwitch

I am happily on a one year extension so much of this goes over my head, but I am puzzled by the following:-

"if they......do not come in thinking they have amnesty, they will be in for a rude awakening at 500 baht for each day". 

If they do not think they have an amnesty why would the daily 500 baht surprise them.??

46 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Better yet, use the words "permission to stay". That would be the most precise. Replace the word VISA which is ambiguous.

"Foreigners whose permission to stay in the Kingdom expires on 26-March or thereafter, will be granted an automatic extension of their permitted stay until 30-April."

That would cover all, eliminating the burden of interpretation of stamp types (Visa, Exemption, VOA, SETV, METV, Covid-Extension) because all of these ultimately get a "permitted to stay until" stamp. So IO just looks at the date stamp, checks it against 26-March, and done!

How hard would it have been to word it that way?    ????

Even more accurate. Thanks!

Ah yes, The invaluable Thai Visa...Immigration Officers...the signed documents with photos...the waiting in line to find you do not have everything they now need...the moving requirements...the inconsistencies...

All part of the lure and mystique of Amazing Thailand...????

1 minute ago, ANDREW999 said:

I just spoke through my girlfriend with one Immigration officer from Samut Prakan (the one that processed my covid extension last time).

She said I dont need to come on April 25 to apply for a 3rd. extension, and just wait for further news from the PM on April 30.

So, apparently, and after 3 cases, Samut Prakan is following what the majority of us interpreted

Thanks for the data point!  But the bigger question is why the main immigration office isn't following it! ????

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, William Osborne said:

Some guy who helps outs in CM IO just posted on FB, amnesty covers all visas including under consideration....he did point out this was for CM only....but should be same for everyone.

But he also stated that that was only for CM IO and could not be inferred as policy elsewhere when the discussion included this thread,

3 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

But he also stated that that was only for CM IO and could not be inferred as policy elsewhere when the discussion included this thread,

Well, this discussion diverted to what happened to two persons in CW. So to sum it up, at the moment we have 2 different interpretations linked to 3 offices.

Edited by ANDREW999
  • Like 1

Jesus Christ what is wrong with this country.

I thought this was all done and dusted. 

So, with this latest bombshell, I'll have to ask again:

I arrived Jan 28th on a one month visa issued at BKK airport. I extended at immigration for another month on 28th feb. Visa ran out on 28TH MARCH. and I have the extension with the help of the embassy letter until 23rd April. So.. Does that mean I qualify and don't have to go back to the visa office, since my official visa didn't expire until March 28th?

Edited by theVenerable

Hi,

Hoping this helps others: I went to immigration today (Friday) morning in order to solve the situation with my visa expiring soon, and they told me that nothing has to be done: the extension is automatic until April 30. More information here: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385641.

The important part:

As per the relief measures, visas that have expired from March 26 onwards will be automatically extended to April 30.

They also told me that they might extend this automatic extension till May 31, if the situation requires it, but this has not been confirmed yet and of course depends on how things develop.

Hope this helps.

Edited by andux

2 minutes ago, andux said:

Hi,

Hoping this helps others: I went to immigration today (Friday) morning in order to solve the situation with my visa expiring soon, and they told me that nothing has to be done: the extension is automatic until April 30. More information here: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385641.

The important part:

They also told me that they might extend this automatic extension till May 31, if the situation requires it, but this has not been confirmed yet and of course depends on how things develop.

Hope this helps.

What kind of visa/extension are you on? vital info ???? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, greggraham said:

What kind of visa/extension are you on? vital info ???? 

Standard tourist visa.

Edit: According to the news though, the extension applies to all visas, and even 90-day reporting is not required during this time, with no fines.

Edited by andux
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, andux said:

Standard tourist visa.

Edit: According to the news though, the extension applies to all visas, and even 90-day reporting is not required during this time, with no fines.

You mean SETV? Did you already apply for an extension before or was it your first attempt (without embassy letter)? And most importantly, which office did you go to? Thanks ????

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, uberfarang said:

You mean SETV? Did you already apply for an extension before or was it your first attempt (without embassy letter)? And most importantly, which office did you go to? Thanks ????

First attempt, no letter. Here is the information from the immigration bureau official website:

???? Announcing the latest visa relief measures on 7 April 2020
????‍♂️ The person whose visas has expired from 26th of March 2020 will be automatically extended to 30th of April 2020. There is no need to apply for a visa extension at Immigration Office for this period and will not be fined THB 500 per day for this case.
????‍♂️ Aliens who are due for 90 days reports between 26th of March 2020 and 30th of April 2020 are temporarily exempted from reporting in this period until further notice.
????‍♂️Aliens who are holding Border Passes will be allowed to stay in Thailand for now. However, Aliens with Border Passes must depart Thailand within 7 days of the border crossing points opening date.
????‍♂️Aliens are advised to follow announcements regarding Immigration measures closely for updates. (Currently measures announced until 30 April 2020 or further updates)

Source: https://immigration.go.th/content/visa_auto_extension?click=1

3 minutes ago, andux said:

First attempt, no letter. Here is the information from the immigration bureau official website:

Source: https://immigration.go.th/content/visa_auto_extension?click=1

Hi @andux, thanks for your report. It is a valuable data point in light of the current situation.
Others here are trying to determine precisely what visa you entered with so that they can match that to their own situation. So that we might discern the exact type of visa you have:

1. Did you apply for a Tourist Visa at a consulate outside of Thailand before you came here?
2. If no to #1, when you arrived at the airport in Thailand did you simply go through the standard immigration line and get a free 30-day stamp?
3. If no to #2, were you sent to a "Visa On Arrival" desk at the airport to pay a fee before receiving your 30-day visa stamp?
4. What date did you arrive in Thailand?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, audaciousnomad said:

Hi @andux, thanks for your report. It is a valuable data point in light of the current situation.
Others here are trying to determine precisely what visa you entered with so that they can match that to their own situation. So that we might discern the exact type of visa you have:

1. Did you apply for a Tourist Visa at a consulate outside of Thailand before you came here?
2. If no to #1, when you arrived at the airport in Thailand did you simply go through the standard immigration line and get a free 30-day stamp?
3. If no to #2, were you sent to a "Visa On Arrival" desk at the airport to pay a fee before receiving your 30-day visa stamp?
4. What date did you arrive in Thailand?

Thanks!

It seems that all of the information here is pretty clear: https://immigration.go.th/content/visa_auto_extension?click=1. Is there anything about your specific situation that doesn't match the requisites mentioned in the Immigration Bureau update?

Here's a diagram too:

1586420264281.jpg

Edited by andux
  • Confused 2

Well this is interesting.

I arrived Feb 25th (visa exempt), extended for 30 days (non covid extention) until April 24th and planned to do another 60 day after this for visiting Thai wife/child.

Reading the announcement i assumed my permission to stay is automatically extended until April 30th and probably until May 30th as i do expect them to extend this as country is on lock down and then after that get a 60 day extension if i can or leave the country if not possible. Now technically i arrived before March 26th but did a normal extension until April 24th.

Maybe I should just try the 60 day extension before April 24th then ????

13 hours ago, vermin on arrival said:

So my original date to exit was March 29. I went on March 26th to get an emergency covid extension so as not to overstay at MTT. I got an under consideration stamp until April 23rd. Do I need to go again or do I have until April 30th?

I also have April 23rd and I will be going in as I don't trust the varying interpretations or the each case is will be considered separately approach they take.