Covid-19 Testing in Chiang Mai

Mekong Bob

Expat interested in availability of Covid-19 testing in Chiang Mai.

Is there both PCR Virus (nasal swab) Test and Antibodies (blood) Test available?

Do you need to show symptoms to be tested?  Doctor's orders?

Where in Chiang Mai are these tests offered?  Hours of operation?

How long before results are reported?

Are test costs standard?  Price(s)

Thank you.

Ram offer tests-I read 10000 baht. I guess they can answer your questions by email or phone.

Or try the Office of Disease Control and Prevention, near Rajavej. not sure what opening hours are just now.

Interested to see results of your enquiries-but not bothered about gettiing tested. Yet!

From my knowledge right now, Chiang Mai Ram is one place, but expensive, as indicated above by Beau Thai. (That might also include Lanna Hospital, part of the Ram group. I would not be surprised if Bangkok Hospital might oblige someone also at a high price, perhaps another private hospital. It might be available from some private medical clinics.  My understanding is that in order to obtain testing otherwise, you would be subject to the MPH clinical protocol.  The Thai strategy is to focus on testing selectively, which you can read about elsewhere.

My understanding is that one or more antibody tests will "soon" be available, but are not yet available. These might be helpful to confirm that a person has sufficient antibodies preventing reinfection.  That gets complicated. At this point I don't believe that protection from reinfection is a certainty from what I have read.

Maybe someone has something more specific to add. In the meantime, you know what to do: self-isolate, wash your hands, etc.