Touring caravan. Anyone tried it?

2 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Really, You see many Rangers/Hiluxs/D-Maxs/Everests/Fortuners/ ETC ETC in Aus with V8's in them ?

90% in the Northern Teritory where real Diggers n Offroaders live. Dont need them V8s in Cities for parking outside Starbucks

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

90% in the Northern Teritory where real Diggers n Offroaders live. Dont need them V8s in Cities for parking outside Starbucks

Really they have V8 Rangers/Hiluxs/D-Maxs/Everests/Fortuners in the NT ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

None of the vehicles mentioned has a V8 engine

I have an "old" ( 11 years ) Dmax of 3000cc, it's a 4 cylinder of 172 HP

I know this, you know this... people don't want to acknowledge what I posted though.

FWIW the Ranger Raptor in Aus is getting a V8 however it is limited to 2500kg towing capacity.

On 4/12/2020 at 3:15 AM, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

⁶You serious. Go to USA if you want to RV. Be plenty available  at discount rates after CV-19. Small funigation fee. 

Thailand not caravan or RV friendly. 

Most places look same. Where you going get water and dump waste. 

After all #hit over go USA  and enjoy. That coming from an Aussie, buy 1 year national parks pass.

They make lots 'markups but best National parks worldwide. 

Correct, caravans are rarely seen here in Thailand and there are certainly no caravan resorts/campsites as seen in Australia, Canada or USA. So it will be a very difficult journey. I have lived on Koh Samui for over 10 years and only ever seen one camper van in that time. Up to you but i would never advise it and i doubt if you could find a caravan to buy anywhere here.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, steven100 said:

your partly right, very few caravans in Thailand. I've seen a couple of caravans, a campervan, a 5th wheeler in 20+ years of traveling around Thailand. So while there is a handful, they just never took off as hotel rooms are a pittance compared to rates in Australia or US. Why would anyone bother towing a van around, if something break and you need a part urgently you will have buckleys chance, there are no parks,  no showers, no wash facilities, no electric plug in parks, no toilet waste dumps ... 

It would just be a nightmare imo.

steven100 knows what he is talking about. I did 5000 klm last year stopping at very cheap but decent guest houses and hotels. I never saw one caravan on the road, so if you import one where are you going to park it.

Edited by Huckenfell
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Fruit Trader said:

Probably ok if you have a well equipped vehicle, regular caravans would be hot box torture.

Photo taken from the site of a RV stop in Nongprue M1 Chonburi. I pass this place often and it always looks busy. I guess there are other stops similar around Thailand.

Truck.jpg.a4412223a05d095bc389bcdd75d5972f.jpg

I wonder how much it cost him  to import that lot 

5 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Lack of tow bars fitted ????

In most countries one an get a towbar ready made for any specific make of vehicle. In Thailand , one has to make one, and believe me i have seen one or two botched jobs !

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

steven100 knows what he is talking about. I did 5000 klm last year stopping at very cheap but decent guest houses and hotels. I never saw one caravan on the road, so if you import one where are you going to park it.

5000 km in a year........ did you walk ?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

I wonder how much it cost him  to import that lot 

I think most of these heavy purpose built trucks are just passing through on a tour of Asia. Possible they came from Europe through China which would require a robust vehicle.

5 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Thanks again for the sensible replies.

Just a note: Having put the question out there was not meant to indicate I was going to buy caravan later that day, fit a tow bar tomorrow and then start touring the same afternoon. It's called planning ahead.

So for your sake mate i do hope that you scrub the plan and just use the already mentioned cheap hotels etc and enjoy your time here in LOS

1 minute ago, Huckenfell said:

In most countries one an get a towbar ready made for any specific make of vehicle. In Thailand , one has to make one, and believe me i have seen one or two botched jobs !

one or two botched jobs....... shows you ignorance of Thailand and both whats available OEM or aftermarket.... but you just keep spewing forth  the same bulll<deleted>  aye.

14 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

What nonsense, of course you can get them ready made, got one for a Fortuner from Toyota.

OK your first step, have a look at the facebook site: https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Automotive-Manufacturer/Motor-Home-Rv-Thailand-1719440958077739/.  They also have a members community map with locations (outside of National Parks) that you can stay at.  You could look at http://www.carryboycaravan.com/motor-home/ to see what your money can get you, they are a tad expensive but well suited for the roads around touring spots.  There is also a healthy VW group that pimps VW's for camping in, mainly T3s but the occasional T2.  Obviously it is very Thai centric and there is a lot of information out there about using RV's in Thailand, all Thai language (obvious google translate is available but 'cuddle' 'cuddle' 'cuddle' ) we all now how good that is.  https://www.campervan-thailand.com/ gives you the ability to hire one, to see if its what you're looking for, but again, not cheap.  If you need anymore info, hit me up and I will let you know all the information Ive gathered

• Like 2

I've done some RVing in the USA mostly in the western USA.  It is fabulous.  September is a great month as the kids go back to school so the National Parks are less crowded and the weather is still great.  

On another note, since RVing in Thailand is logistically a nightmare you could do the next best thing which would be to just drive and stay at small hotels and bypass most of the bigger cities.

Many of you here, judging by your comments, don't seem to know there are many campsites in Thailand where you can stay with a caravan and they have facilities such as toilets, showers, power plugs, (some) etc. Check out some of RetirecheapJC's youtube videos of his annual camping trips to the north.

The MAN 4x4 Expedition truck obviously has not been imported, its on foreign plates.

In the UK I pull a 3.5 tonne tri-axle flat bed trailer with a 2.5 4cyl TD Isuzu D-max auto ….. and it pulls it very well. Plenty of power. A caravan is very light in comparison.

On 4/14/2020 at 6:10 PM, Huckenfell said:

Urm, no. The one on the back of my Vigo, all electrics included, pulls a twin axle trailer.

towbar.png

• Like 1