How long until the Pubs open again?

WineOh

22 hours ago, VBF said:

So do i but with a little imagination, it's possible to invent walks depending on where you live of course. Yes it's boring but you can always have your beer when you get home.

And why people are confused over my earlier thread is beyond me - yes walk is better with a beer but the walk is the important thing

Alcohol is banned fyi

3 minutes ago, ThaiWai said:

Alcohol is banned fyi

Only buying it! Nothing wrong with drinking at home if you've had the foresight to stock up "FYI"

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

I'm not. 

I like walking to a final destination (that being the pub).

Kinda like a reward for walking a long way.

Not the same when there is not an ice cold pint at the end of it.

Wouldn’t you rather have a life than an existence?

Try a circular route so that you have your destination as home. If a beer is that port important have it at home.

• Like 1

I know the OP will disagree but IMO you could live without beer forever but stop taking exercise and you will pretty soon experience a drop in both physical and mental health.

And yes...I like a beer or 3.......but I need exercise

7 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

Well, seems to be a hard time for drunkards... ????

Yes indeed, and has been coming on for a few years now as this Government increases even more bans on alcohol for religious festivals - like Songkran! 

19 hours ago, steven100 said:

and that's going to be a problem world wide .... I expect at least 50% of businesses will not open again, and they will mostly be the small - medium business owners. 

This will put hundreds of millions of people out of any long term job prospects and it will continue to affect every economy for years .... It will never be the same again as the population growth is much larger now than say 30-40 yrs ago, and as such there are just not that many jobs to go around. imo

The problem is nature is trying to cull the herd. However the herd is destroying itself to protect its weakest members. No other species does this. The media and the internet has made this way overblown. Yes, it is terrible. However the cure is worse. If we were looking at a death rate of 10% straight across the entire global population this sort of action would be warranted. 

The death rates aren't that great but you look on the net and TV and every image is biohazard suits and doom and gloom. Emotions aside in most places a 10% reduction of human destruction/population would be a good thing. 

Thailand is going to lose 90% of its foreign run pubs. Good luck getting that English breakfast after this. The draconian ban will go on long enough until Prayuth manages to rid of all Farang that have to subsist based upon earning money in the kingdom. Those bringing their government pensions will be okay.

The government in control hates alcohol, smoking, and nightlife. Here is the perfect chance to stamp it out for good. I have my doubts if the gogo bars will ever open again. Maybe after all the Farang leave they will sprout up for Thais or just the karaokes Thais prefer.

I am sure near the end of this the government will begin to aggressively test anybody left and come up with a solution to those that remain. Western countries with more robust economies will have it tough but this is a knock out punch for Thailand. 

My guess is they will make the insurance thing an issue for the farang that remain. There is going to be a glut of empty houses formerly occupied by foreigners.  In that sense it will just be the transfer of land back to Thais who are the rightful owners anyway.

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Opinion: Before reopening businesses, we need an inexpensive rapid test for Covid-19, available to everyone. Those who are virus free can open their business and customers who test virus free can visit and frequent those businesses again. Those that test positive must continue to self-isolate whether asymptomatic or not. Rapid test are already available for many infectious diseases such as ebola, zika, malaria, dengue, and hepatitis. BioMedomics and a few other companies have them for Covid-19 already.  Once these tests are available everywhere for $1 or 30 baht the people can feel safe to go out and get back to work and play...  Shouldn't be so difficult, every 7-11 has cigarettes, beer, and condoms available.  Why not have an infectious disease test available also?

CV test.jpg

• Like 1

I see a staggered approach to re-opening of businesses. Already some evidence of this is happening at the provincial level. In Phetchaburi, hair salons and hairdressers were allowed to re-open the other day, while those in Bangkok should re-open on May 1.

Clearly, bars and clubs are likely to be the last venues allowed to re-open. My feeling is they could open sometime between May 1 and June 1, but more likely to be the latter. Depends entirely on whether the state of emergency is extended or not. Too early to tell at this stage, but there is some hope it will be lifted after April 30 when the current one expires. If it's extended, then probably for another 2 weeks or so until mid-May and not beyond that.

Can't give a better estimate than that...but most likely, they'll be re-opening 2-4 weeks after other businesses. If you're currently in Thailand, there is a reasonably good chance you can hit the bars again in June, and a very good one in July. That being said, there will probably be slimmer pickings as many will have gone out of business permanently.

11 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

The problem is nature is trying to cull the herd. However the herd is destroying itself to protect its weakest members. No other species does this. The media and the internet has made this way overblown. Yes, it is terrible. However the cure is worse. If we were looking at a death rate of 10% straight across the entire global population this sort of action would be warranted. 

The death rates aren't that great but you look on the net and TV and every image is biohazard suits and doom and gloom. Emotions aside in most places a 10% reduction of human destruction/population would be a good thing. 

Thailand is going to lose 90% of its foreign run pubs. Good luck getting that English breakfast after this. The draconian ban will go on long enough until Prayuth manages to rid of all Farang that have to subsist based upon earning money in the kingdom. Those bringing their government pensions will be okay.

The government in control hates alcohol, smoking, and nightlife. Here is the perfect chance to stamp it out for good. I have my doubts if the gogo bars will ever open again. Maybe after all the Farang leave they will sprout up for Thais or just the karaokes Thais prefer.

I am sure near the end of this the government will begin to aggressively test anybody left and come up with a solution to those that remain. Western countries with more robust economies will have it tough but this is a knock out punch for Thailand. 

My guess is they will make the insurance thing an issue for the farang that remain. There is going to be a glut of empty houses formerly occupied by foreigners.  In that sense it will just be the transfer of land back to Thais who are the rightful owners anyway.

A bit of a gloomy prediction...I think unless Thailand wants it's population to go back to rice farming and miss out on technological development, I don't see foreigners being kicked out as you imply. It's a favorite conspiracy theory perpetrated by bar stool farang. Once the economy opens up again, they'll be begging for foreign visitors again.

Even the Chinese like drinking, so while some bars and clubs will disappear, I don't see them disappearing entirely. In fact, if anything, rather than low class farang girlie bars, we might be seeing more "hi-so" Thonglor type places emerge in their midst. Thais love their nightlife too.

Yes, many foreigners will leave, no doubt about that...similar to other countries in the region. But at some stage, people will come back.

On 4/13/2020 at 11:47 AM, steven100 said:

and that's going to be a problem world wide .... I expect at least 50% of businesses will not open again, and they will mostly be the small - medium business owners. 

This will put hundreds of millions of people out of any long term job prospects and it will continue to affect every economy for years .... It will never be the same again as the population growth is much larger now than say 30-40 yrs ago, and as such there are just not that many jobs to go around. imo

Population growth is much lower than it was 30-40 years ago. Thailand's fertility rate is the lowest in the developing world at just 1.5 children born per woman, far below the replacement level of 2.11 and below that of the USA, Australia and France. 30 years ago it was around 2.5 and 40 years ago around 3.5.

Globally, fertility rates are decreasing rapidly. The difference is that the population has increased, and continues to do so as a result of population momentum. However, in the coming years, population growth will stall (this is expected to happen in China by 2028) and around the same time in Thailand, before it starts falling, as is already happening in Japan.

Business closures and fewer economic opportunities for the world's population go hand-in-hand with the AI/robotics agenda and a declining future global population. Universal basic income is a likely outcome in the interim...those who lose their jobs working in "frivolous" unsustainable industries such as tourism will likely be recipients of such schemes.

On 4/12/2020 at 6:02 PM, LordSomchai said:

I really cant seen anything until at least the 1st of June, even then not entirely sure. Thai authorities are putting in more strict measures even now. So they are taking it seriously.  It's not even the alcohol but that bothers me, I just miss the social part of catching up with friends and having a laugh, watch a bit of sport. Same as . now no sport to play here as well - but it's the social bit. 

They will start to ease up towards the end of this month. Already Phetchaburi is allowing hairdressers to re-open.

Pubs and clubs won't re-open fully until around June I'd say.

1 hour ago, drbeach said:

A bit of a gloomy prediction...I think unless Thailand wants it's population to go back to rice farming and miss out on technological development, I don't see foreigners being kicked out as you imply. It's a favorite conspiracy theory perpetrated by bar stool farang. Once the economy opens up again, they'll be begging for foreign visitors again.

Even the Chinese like drinking, so while some bars and clubs will disappear, I don't see them disappearing entirely. In fact, if anything, rather than low class farang girlie bars, we might be seeing more "hi-so" Thonglor type places emerge in their midst. Thais love their nightlife too.

Yes, many foreigners will leave, no doubt about that...similar to other countries in the region. But at some stage, people will come back.

The Chinese will keep coming. But many of those mom and pop faring run places that were barely hanging on all over Thailand will close. Foreigners won't be forced out as much as they will see the writing on the wall. The businesses that close won't come back.

There isn't enough new life in the Farang community to reopen them. Most were barely hanging in before this. For years Thailand operated on word of mouth. Your friend had a beach bar, your uncle had a guesthouse etc. The talk of Thailand these days is mostly negative. I have a place in Laos and in the last few years you ask how was Thailand you would get an answer like glad to be in Laos didn't like it. Years ago they would say they loved Thailand.

The Chinese will still come for the malls. I just don't see a new crop of backpackers coming through that are going to look to settle down. 

Pub?  Heck, I will be glad, when it is once again safe to sit out at the pier quaffing hand stinging cold beers from my esky, while nibbling on some grilled squid or chicken satay.  Took me a year to find a pub in my area that actually serves cold ones, unfortunately, they are too lame to understand that letting them freeze in their forty year old frig, makes them as flat as a cup of tea.

On 4/15/2020 at 1:10 AM, moontang said:

Pub?  Heck, I will be glad, when it is once again safe to sit out at the pier quaffing hand stinging cold beers from my esky, while nibbling on some grilled squid or chicken satay.  Took me a year to find a pub in my area that actually serves cold ones, unfortunately, they are too lame to understand that letting them freeze in their forty year old frig, makes them as flat as a cup of tea.

A very busy (in the past that is) restaurant chain near me serves frozen beers and the locals think it's 'nectar'. When you can finally (after 30 minutes of de-frosting) drink it, the beer that has defrosted first tastes awful. I miss good British landlords that know  a thing or two about serving beer.

4 hours ago, DaLa said:

A very busy (in the past that is) restaurant chain near me serves frozen beers and the locals think it's 'nectar'. When you can finally (after 30 minutes of de-frosting) drink it, the beer that has defrosted first tastes awful. I miss good British landlords that know  a thing or two about serving beer.

This is a common site in Mexico.  My kind of "bucket.". That is a bottle opener chained to the bucket.  The beer is Pacifico.

1498067_745045508858534_1048311461_o.jpg

Edited by moontang