49 cured Covid-19 patients wish to donate plasma

webfact

49 cured Covid-19 patients wish to donate plasma

805812dc8a729b4fa3b3e2dee722cb49_small.jpg

BANGKOK(NNT)-The Thai Red Cross Society has advised that 49 cured COVID-19 patients wish to donate their plasma. Cured COVID-19 patients are asked to register for plasma donation online.

The National Blood Service, of the Thai Red Cross Society, has advised that cured COVID-19 patients who wish to make plasma donations have to register online, to enable efficient screening of the donor’s health and medical records, to ensure the safety of both the donors and the receivers.

Those wishing to donate plasma must be asymptomatic COVID-19 patients, discharged from hospital and healthy. They must also have completed a 14-day self-quarantine at home. Donors will be tested for the virus 14-days prior to donating blood and must be between 17-60 years old and weigh more than 50 kilograms.

Those who have already registered online, will later be contacted for a medical record screening and to make an appointment for the plasma to be tested. Currently, there are 49 cured COVID-19 patients who have registered online.

Source: http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG200412180224939

nnt.jpg
  • Like 1

some cured patients get Covid19 again, how to recognize who is cured and who will get it again?

I don't wan't to have the plasma  of a risky "cured" patient.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, RotMahKid said:

some cured patients get Covid19 again, how to recognize who is cured and who will get it again?

I think it is being collected for research purposes rather than transfusion.

Could assit in vaccine trials, and development.

Checking immune response under lab conditions for any potential treatments

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai Red Cross Society has advised that 49 cured COVID-19 patients wish to donate their plasma

cured ??????

they mean recovered there is no cure

Maybe just lost in translation

5 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

Then don't have any plasma at all. Simple.

You might want to read more about this first before rejecting it:

https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/03/13/covid-19-antibody-sera-arturo-casadevall/

The technique uses antibodies from the blood plasma or serum of people who have recovered from COVID-19 infection to boost the immunity of newly infected patients and those at risk of contracting the disease. These antibodies contained in the blood's serum have the ability to bind to and neutralize SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19.

Casadevall—a Bloomberg Distinguished Professor of molecular microbiology and immunology and infectious diseases at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and School of Medicine—published a paper on the proposal today in The Journal of Clinical Investigation.

"Deployment of this option requires no research or development," he says. "It could be deployed within a couple of weeks since it relies on standard blood-banking practices."

So this could indeed help.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

That mysterious stories are talking about cured patients that test COVID-19 positive again.

I wished to know if they were sick again, or just test positive – luckily a Danish scientist asked the question for me – they test positive.

The scientist's theory is, that it can have to do with the test – both method and from where the test material is taken – COVID-19 tests are not fully reliable, and material from different parts of the body might give different results, i.e. negative or positive.

Seems like there's a lot we – or rather the scientists – still don't know about this virus, which results in a lot of worrying news stories...????

9 minutes ago, khunPer said:

That mysterious stories are talking about cured patients that test COVID-19 positive again.

I wished to know if they were sick again, or just test positive – luckily a Danish scientist asked the question for me – they test positive.

The scientist's theory is, that it can have to do with the test – both method and from where the test material is taken – COVID-19 tests are not fully reliable, and material from different parts of the body might give different results, i.e. negative or positive.

Seems like there's a lot we – or rather the scientists – still don't know about this virus, which results in a lot of worrying news stories...????

It is a daily evolving story for a new virus, with so many researchers, virologists, epidemiologists, laboritories, scientists working on answers, it unfolds hourly