Combo method for funds Chiang Mai retirment extention

Hi all!

Have a question for you in Chiang Mia. Are they accepting the combo method for the retirement visa?

What I mean is if I have $900 coming into my bank account every month, which comes out to around

30,000 baht X 12 equals about 300,000 baht per year, so will I be to only have 500,000 baht in the bank?

I know in other Immigration's it would pass, but Chiang Mai can be a different world so I was wondering if

anyone knows for sure?

Thanks in advance, Tim.

They do accept them but they have been very pickey on the proof of the transfers into the country part. One small glitch and they refuse to accept the application.

I got a message from a person that his was refused due to some the transfers not coming in due them only having his first and last name instead of his entire given name.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

They do accept them but they have been very pickey on the proof of the transfers into the country part. One little small glitch and they refuse to accept the application.

I got a message from a person that his was refused due to some the transfers not coming in due them only having his first and last name instead of his entire given name.

Thanks for the response.  I am now using TransferWise and so far they are coming through as out of country transfers. Maybe I will get to use more of my money this coming year!

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They do accept them but they have been very pickey on the proof of the transfers into the country part. One small glitch and they refuse to accept the application.

One more question on that:

I am using one bank to hold the 500,000 baht for the year and another to receive the payments, how would I show the payments to Imm?  The bank book would not be enough I am guessing, so a yearly print out from the bank or does it have to be certified somehow?

Thanks again!

21 minutes ago, suave said:

I am using one bank to hold the 500,000 baht for the year and another to receive the payments, how would I show the payments to Imm?  The bank book would not be enough I am guessing, so a yearly print out from the bank or does it have to be certified somehow?

You will need a one year bank statement for the transfers showing they came from outside the country and a letter from the bank and your updated bank book.

For the 500k baht in the bank you will need a letter from the bank and a 2 or 3 month bank statement proving the it has been in the bank for 2 months. If you used the 800k baht option last year you may need a one year bank stament.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You will need a one year bank statement for the transfers showing they came from outside the country and a letter from the bank and your updated bank book.

For the 500k baht in the bank you will need a letter from the bank and a 2 or 3 month bank statement proving the it has been in the bank for 2 months. If you used the 800k baht option last year you may need a one year bank stament.

Thanks a lot, very much appreciated!

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

On another subject you may be interested in, Chiang Mai Imm  has put out a news story telling people that they should keep doing their 90 and visa extensions anyway - see the story at this link.  On a happy note I put in my 90 day this morning on the web site and I already received confirmation that it is approved - usually takes two days for that.

https://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/citynews/general/chiang-mai-immigration-still-processing-visas-and-90-day-reports/

The post you refer to was not put out by Chiang Mai Immigration, but by a local visa agency, who (IMHO) would like you to continue using their services even when it isn't strictly necessary given the amnesty.

1 minute ago, PFV said:

The post you refer to was not put out by Chiang Mai Immigration, but by a local visa agency, who (IMHO) would like you to continue using their services even when it isn't strictly necessary given the amnesty.

Haha, I did not notice that, sneaky butts. But, they do have a point where all of a sudden everyone will be having to climb over each other to get all caught up.  The nice part of my post though is that the online 90 day is working great.

Last year (July), I attempted the combo method with one year of clearly documented monthly SSA payments coming through Bangkok Bank properly and submitted with a notorized bank statement - plus - another bank statement showing the difference in a lump sum having been "stewing" in a local account for more than 3 months, as required.  Was rejected because the monthly statements couldn't be affirmed by the previously issued/accepted embassy letter - because the embassy no longer issues one!   Circular reasoning, yes - but couldn't get around it.

Will be curious to see what happens this year...  Good luck!

2 hours ago, PFV said:

Referring to the article by that local visa agency > https://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/citynews/general/chiang-mai-immigration-still-processing-visas-and-90-day-reports/

The article states Anyone with a visa expiring after the 26th of March does not need to get an extension.

Hmmmm...

1 - It's not 'visa expiring after the 26th of March' but the permission to stay you obtained when entering Thailand on a Visa (or Visa Exempt) or which you obtained when extending that initial permission to stay at your local IO.

2 - Its not anyone with a visa (i.e. permission to stay).  When you are on a long-stay 1-year extension in Thailand on the basis of your original Non Imm O or O-A Visa, the amnesty does NOT apply to you.  In that case you are required to apply once again for a 1-year extension at your local IO before your present permission to stay is due to expire.

3 - To their credit the article does advise to apply for a 1-year extension when yours is due.  And rightly so, because when not doing it you will be on over-stay (the fine of which may be waved), but you would also be forced to leave the country and start again from scratch as you would not be able to extend the expired permission to stay again.  

1 hour ago, MamaSan said:

Last year (July), I attempted the combo method with one year of clearly documented monthly SSA payments coming through Bangkok Bank properly and submitted with a notorized bank statement - plus - another bank statement showing the difference in a lump sum having been "stewing" in a local account for more than 3 months, as required.  Was rejected because the monthly statements couldn't be affirmed by the previously issued/accepted embassy letter - because the embassy no longer issues one!   Circular reasoning, yes - but couldn't get around it.

Will be curious to see what happens this year...  Good luck!

That is my reason for asking around.  Just over a year ago I moved back to Chiang Mai from Phuket and went in for a letter of residency so I could change my Dr Lic and motorcycle regs and they would not give me one stating my Retirement Extension had been done in Phuket so they won't give me one.  I told them that I have done this before as I shift between Phuket and Chiang Mai every couple of years and that the extension states right on it it is good through out Thailand, but their response to that was to use a yellow marker to highlight the word Phuket in my extension as though that meant something. I even tried going to a visa business to try and they said they could not do it as I guess they had tried before, I ended up having to go to my embassy and get one form them at a cost of 2000 baht.