Chinese dams held back Mekong waters during drought, study finds

webfact

3 hours ago, misterjames said:

This is why they follow the CCP on everything they know who holds the cards this is not the only way that they have been snookered. They either suck up to CCP or they turn the tap off and this is not the only thing the CCP holds over them so when the CCP says jump they say how high it's that simple.

Meanwhile in the West we jump to the USA and the Chinese.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Surely not many people are surprised at this revelation.  Satellite photos taken over many months of the whole region hold the final truth, and I am guessing that is the simple and obvious evidence they are working on.

Ask NASA and ESA for comparable photos and compare THEM to Chinese ones!

Edited by The Deerhunter
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

China, which has the sources of the Mekong, has always done what it wants with this river.

Laos is building 11 dams along the Mekong. China has 7 dams. So yeah let's all condemn China as we do exactly the same thing meanwhile we don't talk about it, do studies on it, and just pretend it isn't happening. I am for equality. No country should get a free pass to destroy the Mekong, period.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

No, China is building 11 dams on Mekong in Laos ...

Parts or even all of the computer you are using to write with were probably built by Chinese. It was your choice to buy the product. It's simply smart business by Laos to leverage the incredible know how next door. China has excellence in engineering and experiences with dams. What would you have Laos do, try start from scratch which would be a far more expensive and lengthy procedure to try to achieve the same thing and probably come up way short? Even America looks to outsource mega projects to China. Stop playing the Chinese card, it doesn't hold up.

7 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

And nearly 95 % of electricity produced by these dams is or will be sell to Thailand

Big deal. Is that some sort of excuse that we shouldn't study it to make sure Laos doesn't become the giant wrecking ball of the Mekong with 11 massive dams on it? By not studying other countries dams it questions what are we trying to hide. If we knew they were squeaky clean maybe they would have been included in the study. I am against bias towards any country damaging the Mekong in any way.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, canopy said:

When you restrict your "study" to dig up dirt on China and ignore what other countries like Laos are doing to the Mekong it questions whether the results are fair and unbiased.

Agreed its not like the US has no agenda. The time that i believed the US blindly is long gone. They lost loads of trust and now with the president they have its at an all time low.

Not that i trust China more but both sides got something to gain from this so i doubt that either rapport is without bias. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Unless USA owns the Spratlys they won't be taking back anything from anyone or giving it to someone else.

If someone has documented evidence they are the owner let them go get it!

But the United States, which has been challenging China's growing influence in Southeast Asia,

So, The United States is not really challenging China's growth at all? Right? Or are they just capitulating?

5 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

There's a really great book about China's policy called The Hundred-Year Marathon - China's Secret Strategy To Replace America As The Global Superpower by Michael Pillsbury. The main thing I took away from the book is that if China says anything, assume it to be a lie. They do nothing that isn't self-serving.

The Hundred-Year Marathon - China's Secret Strategy To Replace America As The Global Superpower - Pillsbury, Michael.azw3 706.36 kB · 1 download The Hundred-Year Marathon - China's Secret Strategy To Replace America As The Global Superpower - Pillsbury, Michael.epub 426.13 kB · 0 downloads The Hundred-Year Marathon - China's Secret Strategy To Replace America As The Global Superpower - Pillsbury, Michael.pdf 2.51 MB · 1 download

And that's different from other countries how? Not saying give them a free pass but if that's the biggest take away from the book it's hardly mind-blowing is it? How much would you trust anything that comes out of the US? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2