30 day tourist visa info please

hi all

went to hia hin IO on 3rd april for 30 day extension with letter from embassy and the other hundreds of papers.got 30 days but he gave me until 22nd and said I come back again on 22nd and get extra 7 days.Do I need to go and get this 7 days.thanks

It appears immigration is wanting people to return to get their new permit to stay stamp at the end of the under consideration period.

After that permit to stay ends you would be allowed to stay until the emergency situation ends.

• Like 2

OP, I don't follow. 

If you attended imm on April 3 and I assume at that point you had a valid permission of stay (even if it was soon to expire) then you didn't need do anything.

Any pos that expired after march 26 was given amnesty till April 30. 

Also that will be extended most likely for another month and even longer.

Edited by DrJack54

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, I don't follow. 

If you attended imm on April 3 and I assume at that point you had a valid permission of stay (even if it was soon to expire) then you didn't need do anything.

Any pos that expired after march 26 was given amnesty till April 30. 

Also that will be extended most likely for another month and even longer.

On the 3rd there was nothing confirmed  that stated a person could stay until until the 30th on the 3rd. I would say he probably did the right thing by applying for an extension then.

Looking at the dates mentioned I think his last day to do the extension was the 3rd.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

On the 3rd there was nothing confirmed  that stated a person could stay until until the 30th on the 3rd. I would say he probably did the right thing by applying for an extension then.

Fully agree.

But as a result we now have the situation that people that were eligible for the automatic extension till April 30, did apply for the emergency extension prior to the amnesty announcement and were provided an 'under consideration' stamp.

The question now is > Do these people whose permission to stay was after 26 March (and were thus eligible for the amnesty) when they applied for the emergency extension, need to re-visit IO to have their under consideration stamp transfered into a permission to stay stamp?

Report (think yesterday) guy obtained second extension march 26. Given under consideration. At the time his permission of stay expired March 30.

He was told recently by io that he did not need return for stamp as he previously had a POS till March 30. Importantly post march 26. Dont like his chance of a refund 1900baht.

8 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

The question now is > Do these people whose permission to stay was after 26 March (and were thus eligible for the amnesty) when they applied for the emergency extension, need to re-visit IO to have their under consideration stamp transfered into a permission to stay stamp?

I agree the trip back should not be needed but some offices have said it is required so the best thing to do is go back for the permit to stay stamp. It takes nothing but a person's passport to get the stamp in it and  that can quickly be done.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Report (think yesterday) guy obtained second extension march 26. Given under consideration. At the time his permission of stay expired March 30.

He was told recently by io that he did not need return for stamp as he previously had a POS till March 30. Importantly post march 26. Dont like his chance of a refund 1900baht.

Yeah tbh I don't care about that refund Dr.Jack. I just want to be valid and covered under the amnesty.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Looking at the dates mentioned I think his last day to do the extension was the 3rd.

exactly.visa ended 3rd april.up until then there was no decision made 

I was a in similar situation at Chiangmai last week - confused as to whether I needed to go or not, but afraid of the consequences if I didn't go but really was required to be there. After being shunted around a bit, I found a volunteer at Imm. who examined my situation and said, yes, even though there is an "amnesty" I still have to front up for the stamp, otherwise I would be risking an overstay fine. He also said "Put that Embassy letter away. Don't show it. If you do, it will confuse things and you may just get a "come back" stamp instead of the 30 day one". He explained that the fact that I was showing the letter was the cause of my being shunted around between queues. I followed his advice, ended up in the "tourist extension" queue (hidden around the back of the building!) and everything then went smoothly. They gave me 32 days without question (I was there 2 days early.)

• Thanks 2