Open Bank Account without WP

In short Bangkok Bank.

Last year a few lads who I know came over and experienced similar issues, for a bank account to get their "Retirement Visa".  I was told by my accountant Bangkok Bank, they had a small catch. You had to "buy" their 12 month Health Insurance policy for 5,990Bt.

All the lads went to BB - easy 30 mins and they had a bank account.  PM me as I also know a contact in a bank who can do this for you, also they're excellent help in transferring large sums of money out of Thailand.  Good luck.
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

If you put 200 - 300K baht in cash on the counter, they will fall over themselves getting an account opened for you. That's my experience, anyway.

Not no more, Thai banks are paranoid since FATCA.

My friend had a cheque for 150,000Bt from the courts as compensation after getting attacked by a couple of drunken young lads.  Couldn't cash or open a bank account with it. Not even at Krung Thai bank who issued the cheque. 

Edited by 19DL86

1 minute ago, 19DL86 said:

Not no more. My friend had a cheque for 150,000Bt from the courts as compensation after getting attacked by a couple of drunken young lads.  Couldn't cash or open a bank account with it. Not even at Krung Thai bank who issued the cheque. 

You may be right, it could also depend on which bank or branch you go to.

Back in the good old days ( ten years ago ) I opened an account at Bangkok Bank with 10,000 baht and a tourist visa.

• Like 1

Siam Legal does not "cost", it "costs an arm and a leg". Two to three times any other firm in town. But, they do get the job done. You should try Bangkok Bank and KBank branches until one agrees. I agree with @19DL86 I have had more luck with Bangkok Bank. But I like KBank better as a bank. It also helps to have a Thai friend/business partner assist with the process. Also, if you have a very large sum of money to deposit (which you can immediately withdraw), this seems to help as well. If you still need legal assistance, contact this guy: Mr. Somsan Maisuk at Prime Legal  

Edited by theoldgit
Email and phone number removed, as per forum rules.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 19DL86 said:

In short Bangkok Bank.

Last year a few lads who I know came over and experienced similar issues, for a bank account to get their "Retirement Visa".  I was told by my accountant Bangkok Bank, they had a small catch. You had to "buy" their 12 month Health Insurance policy for 5,990Bt.

All the lads went to BB - easy 30 mins and they had a bank account.  PM me as I also know a contact in a bank who can do this for you, also they're excellent help in transferring large sums of money out of Thailand.  Good luck.

Thanks, I’ll try around Nana area

17 minutes ago, 19DL86 said:

My friend had a cheque for 150,000Bt from the courts as compensation after getting attacked by a couple of drunken young lads.  Couldn't cash or open a bank account with it. Not even at Krung Thai bank who issued the cheque. 

Yes, that is nonsense laying out a bunch of cash will get you an account.

Fabrication in current environment.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 19DL86 said:

FATCA should only make things worse for US citizens. It did for me.

In the past I was always denied to open an account while on a tourist visa. However, lately I opened an account at Krung Thai bank without any problem with the tourist visa. It was the branch in Ekkmai intersection with Sukhumvit. Not sure if it was an exception or what but it worked.

Other than that, if you look at the websites of the big banks they have some products for big investors from abroad. I guess you'd need to ask for those specific products in that case and deposit a big amount. 

Not a chance anyone will give you a correct answer. 

Gotta go around and ask 100 different banks and maybe you get lucky.

Even 5 years ago when there was a "100% sure" bank in Ekkamai as advised on this forum, I went and was flat out denied and I was on a marriage visa. I got fed up, went to Pattaya and opened an account in 10 minutes. 

• Like 2

there must be loads of threads on this topic and the advice is always the same; keep trying until you find a branch and/or employee who will open an account for you. my tuppence worth; at the time i was on a tourist visa converting to non imm O 800K, bangkok bank would give me an account if i got a letter from the embassy (BOT recommended, but not mandatory, requirement), i couldn't be bothered to walked down the street to k bank, no staff spoke english but were helpful and patient and i opened a basic savings account no problem, a few days later realised i should have opened a fixed rate account so went back and bish, bash, bosh opened another account no problem.

my advice; keep trying, stay calm and patient.

It's all the banks now, as they're all nearly owned by the same 3-4 syndicates. Shhhht themselves after HSBC got clobbered for Millions of $$ by the US for a bit of sharp practice.  My UK banks even offshore institutions like in the Isle of Man and Gib. They contact me every year to provide lots of documents. Worried that one might have dual nationality with the States

2 hours ago, Pravda said:

Not a chance anyone will give you a correct answer. 

Gotta go around and ask 100 different banks and maybe you get lucky.

Even 5 years ago when there was a "100% sure" bank in Ekkamai as advised on this forum, I went and was flat out denied and I was on a marriage visa. I got fed up went to Pattaya and opened an account in 10 minutes. 

Ha ha ha why aren't we surprise? Good ol Pattaya, bet you ISIS money launderers are even welcomed.  Same same with any visa you wish Lol

Edited by 19DL86

Thanachart. UOB. Bangkok Bank. Those are what I use. I have a Non-O. No WP. Call the Call Center first and ask all relevant questions. Then get the CSR's name. If you get any pushback from clerks at local branch upon opening ask them politely to call said CSR for clarification. Worked for me. Good luck! 

2 minutes ago, Odin Norway said:

Of course.I always walk around with that in my pocket

I've done it from time to time. Perhaps my size and demeanor discourages thoughts of larceny.

I've seen Thais in banks filling up shopping bags with much more than that, a million or two.

16 minutes ago, 19DL86 said:

Ha ha ha why aren't we surprise? Good ol Pattaya, bet you ISIS money launderers are even welcomed.  Same same with any visa you wish Lol

It is all about what person in charge.I had the same issue a few months ago when kasikorn by mistake shut down one of my accounts.Beeing single and not married was not a bad thing.All it cost me was a free dinner with the female bank manager after closing hours????

1 hour ago, InfinityandBeyond said:

Thanachart. UOB. Bangkok Bank. Those are what I use. I have a Non-O. No WP. Call the Call Center first and ask all relevant questions. Then get the CSR's name. If you get any pushback from clerks at local branch upon opening ask them politely to call said CSR for clarification. Worked for me. Good luck! 

You have a non O, the OP hasn't. The visa he has is a Non B which I ve no idea what type of visa this is. Guessing B - Business. Non Business?!?!

Very different circumstances I think. Your visa Non O that's a marriage/retirement yes?

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I've done it from time to time. Perhaps my size and demeanor discourages thoughts of larceny.

I've seen Thais in banks filling up shopping bags with much more than that, a million or two.

Yeah seen it many times and more a few years back a house purchase in Hua Hin, 4Mil up.

I ve moved 1mil in cash between banks by Duffle bag just walking around the block. Didn't feel too safe, had a very large knife in there also.

It does beggar belief really.

31 minutes ago, 19DL86 said:

You have a non O, the OP hasn't. The visa he has is a Non B which I ve no idea what type of visa this is. Guessing B - Business. Non Business?!?!

Very different circumstances I think. Your visa Non O that's a marriage/retirement yes?

Just throwing out my experience and advice for the OP. Thank you for repeating what I already stated in my post: that we don't have the same visas. In any case, why is our respective visa status a concern to you? 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, InfinityandBeyond said:

Just throwing out my experience and advice for the OP. Thank you for repeating what I already stated in my post: that we don't have the same visas. In any case, why is our respective visa status a concern to you? 

Not in the slightest concern to myself, nor are you.

but you're giving someone advice from a perspective that is not applicable. So useless pal.

9 hours ago, InfinityandBeyond said:

If not a concern, why have to keep chiming in on things that don't concern you? Get a hobby or some friends, "pal." 

Sensitive sort aren't we, in touch with your feminin side too I see by your profile name very nice????

"I m chiming in" to comments on a public forum or have you forgot where we are Luvvy?.  I simply stated you compared apples to lemons.  But as with most women you don't like being told your wrong.

Currently this is my hobby - and its great fun !!!

Have a nice day, I m off as your too easy.

17 hours ago, Tarukhtah said:

In the past I was always denied to open an account while on a tourist visa. However, lately I opened an account at Krung Thai bank without any problem with the tourist visa. It was the branch in Ekkmai intersection with Sukhumvit. Not sure if it was an exception or what but it worked.

Other than that, if you look at the websites of the big banks they have some products for big investors from abroad. I guess you'd need to ask for those specific products in that case and deposit a big amount. 

Just tried that branch now

“Cannot without work permit”

On 4/16/2020 at 11:16 AM, Jajazazajaja said:

Just tried that branch now

“Cannot without work permit”

Krungthai does not pay interests if you only have a tourist visa.

I was with a friend in a Krungthai branch, originally they also told my friend that he could not open an account on his tourist visa (actually just a visa/stamp on arrival), but after I told them that he did not want interests, they agreed to open an account for him. So maybe try tell them that?

I have also opened an account with Krungsri, they said title deed (for condo) was one option for foreigners to open an account. I understood this to be official policy (and I did open an account myself on a tourist visa using my title deed as proof of condo). I asked what if I had no condo, they said then WP would work, and I asked what if I had no WP, and they said approval “case by case”.