Mosquito trap 2020

Tagged

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

In my experience the blacklight type devices have been next to usless.

The most effective for us has been the spiral design that you light and gives off smoke/vapour. 

I want something in the bedroom, and thats where we have used the Black hole. We do have mosquito protection on doors and windows, and we catch some of those gets trough. 

Anyone experience with the one from powerbuy? 

https://www.powerbuy.co.th/en/mamaru-เครื่องใช้ไฟฟ้าขนาดเล็ก-mosquito-trap-1800-3000v-mr-q416-225961

Lazada x 6 times more expensive

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.YO1s0

and many alike these ones 

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.YObgc

I have a UV light fan job in the bedroom. Used to be in my office. Works well enough for me. Bought for I think 180 baht at Amorn. Sadly since I bought it I haven't seen anymore. Maybe too good for not enough money?

Wouldn't hesitate to buy some more if i could find them.

This is closest by shape. (picture is upside down). Mine has ears and a smiley face.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/led-electric-mosquito-trap-hel-169-i7787492-s9727118.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.113.3ac162094cFq4G&search=1

Edited by VocalNeal

47 minutes ago, Tagged said:

I want something in the bedroom, and thats where we have used the Black hole. We do have mosquito protection on doors and windows, and we catch some of those gets trough. 

https://www.powerbuy.co.th/en/mamaru-เครื่องใช้ไฟฟ้าขนาดเล็ก-mosquito-trap-1800-3000v-mr-q416-225961

I bought 2 of them and they attract all sorts of insects but unfortunately the mosquito dont go near them . Next morning after using you will have a steady flow of ants coming to the bbq for breakfast . I find a strong fan works best as the mosquito tend to get <deleted> off trying and go look for easier prey .

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Macthehat said:

I bought 2 of them and they attract all sorts of insects but unfortunately the mosquito dont go near them . Next morning after using you will have a steady flow of ants coming to the bbq for breakfast . I find a strong fan works best as the mosquito tend to get <deleted> off trying and go look for easier prey .

Which one did you buy? 

You say something like these ones, do not work? 

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.YOZFq

1 hour ago, Tagged said:

The article says about this model

Mamaru offers a mosquito trap (1800 - 3000 Volts) model MR-Q416. Mosquito trap, portable size, convenient, easy to use, use a special lamp to lure mosquitoes and insects, is a UV-A 2X15W lamp

I would not use a UV-A lamp somewhere where I am staying/sleeping in.

But the model looks standard, also Commando sells these. 

They are all 'sticker' brands,  they put their branding on no-brand units.

Which is fine, a lot of products are made that way.

For bedroom try look for a model where the UV rays are not reaching humans, but still attracting mozzies.

I am using them only in the hallway and kitchen and they also zaps termites that has sneakily flown in around civil dusk.

Or use , as I would do, dead spots. On top of cabinet or behind a pilar, throwing shadow to the chair/bed/sofa.

On 4/16/2020 at 7:59 AM, CharlieH said:

The most effective for us has been the spiral design that you light and gives off smoke/vapour. 

I think it is the difference of the mosquito species. Yours is probably the Aedes Tenebris Oculi Charlicum Nasus, very sensitive to follow their nose but practically blind while the species that fly here are the Culiseta Magnis Visio not to confuse with the Hominis oculi magni that you can find in Pattaya.

????

The trap here after one week:

28478.thumb.jpg.cdc3f6764f27973b86d5bf5ba6c240d2.jpg28479.thumb.jpg.605cf7a314a49f1357d5d9d677ab82ce.jpg

This season mostly termites that has sneaked in trough the door, cleaning every two weeks.

Mozzies fall down in the drawer under the zapper when they got zapped while termies get stuck between.

6 minutes ago, Metropolitian said:

I think it is the difference of the mosquito species. Yours is probably the Aedes Tenebris Oculi Charlicum Nasus, very sensitive to follow their nose but practically blind while the species that fly here are the Culiseta Magnis Visio not to confuse with the Hominis oculi magni that you can find in Pattaya.

????

The trap here after one week:

28478.thumb.jpg.cdc3f6764f27973b86d5bf5ba6c240d2.jpg28479.thumb.jpg.605cf7a314a49f1357d5d9d677ab82ce.jpg

This season mostly termites that has sneaked in trough the door, cleaning every two weeks.

Mozzies fall down in the drawer under the zapper when they got zapped while termies get stuck between.

Way over my head with that I wouldnt have a clue on that score ..????

I am just going based on my personal experience.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought this one, and now used it for some few weeks, and it works in our bedroom 16m2

The pros: Easy to clean, small size, no more mosquito bites and the first 3-4 days it fried mosquitos all night long, now just a few. 

The cons: The overwhelming  light in the room, the sound and smell of bugs getting fried

Bought on Lazada and see it comes from many shops, under different names and brands and prices. I think we got ut for 490 or something, and this is the cheapest I found today. 

Value for the money

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.13uHv

4EC1BC19-69BA-49EA-8CF6-825D07C0E9FD.jpeg

CF71E958-4C45-441D-A356-7C637F510BDC.jpeg

54 minutes ago, Tagged said:

I bought this one, and now used it for some few weeks, and it works in our bedroom 16m2

The pros: Easy to clean, small size, no more mosquito bites and the first 3-4 days it fried mosquitos all night long, now just a few. 

The cons: The overwhelming  light in the room, the sound and smell of bugs getting fried

Bought on Lazada and see it comes from many shops, under different names and brands and prices. I think we got ut for 490 or something, and this is the cheapest I found today. 

Value for the money

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.13uHv

4EC1BC19-69BA-49EA-8CF6-825D07C0E9FD.jpeg

CF71E958-4C45-441D-A356-7C637F510BDC.jpeg

We’ve had that one for a few months and while we don’t have any mosquitos in the house it does get a few flies and termites 

• Like 1

the real UV lights actually do work, this is the one I have and it does work (check the reviews at the bottom for some pictures)

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/portoti-pr-25mb-mosquito-pest-killer-i174536187-s358395528.html

it has to be a certain wavelength or it will not work well (or at all)

this video is from the people who made it so, might be biased but they prove their point.

the problem comes from some lamps all all they do is put a dark blue/purple LED and that does nothing vs Ultraviolet

• Like 1

On 4/16/2020 at 9:09 AM, Tagged said:

Have one like that, bought because not plastic, but did not seem to attract intended targets and do not use.

A warning for black hole type units (probably the cheaper versions).  Had serious fire start from overheating fan in a unit.  Luckily was daytime and in direct sight but plastic was open flame and if anything had been near it could have been serious.  Will never use another, by order of boss and agree myself.  Cheap plastics from China, be it extension cords or other times, tend to burn rather than just melt.

15 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Have one like that, bought because not plastic, but did not seem to attract intended targets and do not use.

A warning for black hole type units (probably the cheaper versions).  Had serious fire start from overheating fan in a unit.  Luckily was daytime and in direct sight but plastic was open flame and if anything had been near it could have been serious.  Will never use another, by order of boss and agree myself.  Cheap plastics from China, be it extension cords or other times, tend to burn rather than just melt.

No more black holes, had a bug stuck between the fan and the sidewall, and would have made the whole thing overheat if not heard it. 

On 4/16/2020 at 7:59 AM, CharlieH said:

But I heard that is tremendously unhealthy!!! I have installed nets in all windows and door. No mosquitos.

A0CC72F8-E3EF-408D-8A3B-4F2E28674B85.jpeg

Edited by Tarteso
  • Like 1

On 4/15/2020 at 8:02 PM, Macthehat said:

A large overhead ceiling fan doesn't help?

On 5/6/2020 at 9:03 PM, NCC1701A said:

enjoying a dramatic drop in the number of mosquitoes here in Hua Hin for the past few months. 

most likely the drought. 

you see, that is what i do now, count the mosquito population.   

Haha.   So bored.  Posting in the visa thread.   I wanted to say one of your boring nights would probably  be a crazy time for me and most.  One thing I do dispose is mozzies. Especially when dengue so prevalent.  I like it here where I can sit outside most nights.  How do they get inside in Thailand when there ate screens?  The shower drains or what?  Thai ones love me. 

We have tried all sorts of devices and methods with varying, but uniformly disappointing, results.

We had a very expensive "Mosquito Magnet", which sits in the garden, runs off 12 volts and a gas cylinder, and uses an attractant chemical. It was very effective to start with, the catch was huge, but it suddenly started to have none. One day when opening it I noticed movement inside: their was a lizard in residence, eating all the catch! After a couple of years, it failed to ignite.. I had to import and fit new parts in the burner, very expensive! After another couple of years, the plastic casing started to disintegrate - heat and uv degradation - and could not be repaired. As the thing cost about 13,000baht, and cost 120 per month for gas and another 100 for the attractant, it was a very expensive method of killing perhaps 80% of the pests, and we still got bitten!

We have tried citronella burners of various sorts, which repel 80%, are messy, have to be filled with oil and lit, or use candles, etc, etc. Too much smell and trouble for too little effect. Spirals , same same, and some smell truly vile, at least to my senses!

Electric zappers assorted: yes they work, but if based on uv fluorescent tubes, the tubes do not last very long - much less than normal white light ones - and are expensive unless you buy in bulk from Ali, where the quality is poor and they last even less; and fitting them is not easy, as you have to remove all the protection from the high tension zapper grid (be sure to short out the grid with a screwdriver to discharge it before you touch anything! At one point we had three of these on our very small terrace, and still got bitten! They are expensive on electricity, about 36 watts!

LED uv traps and zappers last rather better, IF the electronics running the leds is of good quality, and that is a big if. You don't necessarily get what you pay for.  They are cheap to run, about 5 watts. Traps are noisy, and the fans eventually wear out; cleaning them can be difficult. 

The mosquitos are bad right now, and we are using only three small "Black Hole" machines, one in each of two bathrooms and one in the kitchen, I empty them once a month and there is always a good catch. For watching the TV at night we have a tower fan blowing straight at us, and a "tennis racquet" zapper to mop up the hardy ones. Seal up the bedroom before sleepy time, aircon on and fumigate.

On 5/7/2020 at 10:03 AM, NCC1701A said:

enjoying a dramatic drop in the number of mosquitoes here in Hua Hin for the past few months. 

most likely the drought. 

you see, that is what i do now, count the mosquito population.   

We had no rains in Korat and Mosquitos are rampant 

Blue lights don’t do anything except occasional stupid ones fly into it , Mossies are drawn by Carbon Dioxide , Sweat works too, if you ever have an old Swaety shirt hanging in bathroom , go shake it you will see them.fly off 

3 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:

Blue lights don’t do anything except occasional stupid ones fly into it

Actually would agree with led blue light but they are attracted to normal light as any insect and UV does work without lighting up the room too much (but as said tubes do not last long so a PIA).  Electronic wands do help (light an area up and go on a killing spree - or for self protection).  Airflow/fans are very useful.  The CO2 equipment have not seen locally made so tends to be on very high side and supply an issue.

i had the black hole with coated uv lamps for the living room in my house which always has mosquitos. 

i found it very effective, there would always be a significant number of mosquitons in the tray.

the coated uv creates co2 which draws mosquitoes, the fan sucks them in and then deescalates them.

alas the fan died after a couple of years and i have not yet bothered replacing it.

On 4/16/2020 at 9:09 AM, Tagged said:

Something I found effective in my b edroom in China was the "Black Trap". Apparently, certainly mosquitos, are attracted by the colour black so when I made this I wrapped the entire thing with black electrical tape. Easy to make and proved far more effective than the blue light bug zappers and less smelly than the spiral repellant wicks.

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Plastic-Bottle-Mosquito-Trap

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ireland32 said:

Blue lights don’t do anything except occasional stupid ones fly into it , Mossies are drawn by Carbon Dioxide , Sweat works too, if you ever have an old Swaety shirt hanging in bathroom , go shake it you will see them.fly off 

They don't work??? This must be my imagination then.

image.thumb.jpeg.1778a61bb00a43f9c5976c740e51395f.jpeg