non-o multi visas obtained in a Thai Embassy = dead in the water ?

non-o multi visas are dead now right ?

14 days in the country you want to get a visa at a Thai Embassy

but if you are in quarantine, how are you allowed to go to an Embassy ?  I guess not

than on your way back, same same, 14 days in government quarantine

who pays for that ? the quarantine ? out of pocket against your will or free ?

anyone ?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Non-o visas are not dead. It is just that you cannot get one if you are in the country already.

After the borders open to other countries you will still be able to apply for them.

At this time you can stay in the country until the emergency situation is over.

When it ends if married to or the parent if a Thai you can apply for a 60 day extension to visit them.

Very helpful Ubon Joe. This is in a very similar problem area to mine so I hope you can clarify further.

background:-  I am on a multiple entry Non O visa. I have lived with my partner for 5 years at her home here when we are not in Scotland together. I have not collected arrival cards TM whatevers in the past, remiss of me I know,  bureaucracy not my thing. I am OK here till end of May by when I hope flights have re-opened.

1) I was intending to get a new Non O I yr ME visa in the UK, and return to Thailand after staying around 3 months. The glory of these in the past is that you only needed to show a copy of your pension letter to get a retirement Non O. No insurance- no police or health checks, no 400K to 800K in the bank here. The UK pension is pathetic of course, but that hasn't bothered them in the past.  Question:- has anything changed.

Question 2) is it reasonable to assume that when the Covid thing calms down falangs will be able to return as normal.

Question 3) Looking at the requirements for Non O-A based on marriage, it appears that the hoops you have to go through are many more than for a simple Non O. Although it was something that we wanted to do anyway, it appears that using this as a visa basis is a burden rather than a benefit.

Apologies for the questions, any help that you can give will be much appreciated.

3 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

1) I was intending to get a new Non O I yr ME visa in the UK, and return to Thailand after staying around 3 months. The glory of these in the past is that you only needed to show a copy of your pension letter to get a retirement Non O. No insurance- no police or health checks, no 400K to 800K in the bank here. The UK pension is pathetic of course, but that hasn't bothered them in the past.  Question:- has anything changed.

Question 2) is it reasonable to assume that when the Covid thing calms down falangs will be able to return as normal.

Question 3) Looking at the requirements for Non O-A based on marriage, it appears that the hoops you have to go through are many more than for a simple Non O. Although it was something that we wanted to do anyway, it appears that using this as a visa basis is a burden rather than a benefit.

1. The embassy in London is only issuing single entry non-o visas now.

2. Yes but the question is when.

3. A Non-OA visa is only issued for being 50 or over for retirement and can only be applied for at a embassy in you home country.

A non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai is easy to get. A one year extension of stay based upon marriage does require a little more paperwork and etc but the financial proof needed is much less than one based upon retirement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/16/2020 at 10:32 AM, Bender Rodriguez said:

helloooooo.... was for a "near" future when borders open again

or will they be closed forever ?  a lot of people's non-o will run out soon and for some, the 400k is not an option

First you can start with telling where you come from. In several countries you don't need to visit an embassy or consulate in person. You can do it by mail. But I guess,at the moment it's irrelevant because of the coronavirus situation. 

1 hour ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Non O I yr ME visa in the UK, and return to Thailand after staying around 3 months. The glory of these in the past is that you only needed to show a copy of your pension letter to get a retirement Non O. No insurance- no police or health checks, no 400K to 800K in the bank here. The UK pension is pathetic of course, but that hasn't bothered them in the past. 

While that is no longer available in the UK, since you mentioned you are married to a Thai, you could apply for a Non-O-ME based on Thai-family from a Thai consulate in Laos or Vietnam - when the borders are open again. 

1 hour ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Looking at the requirements for Non O-A based on marriage, it appears that the hoops you have to go through are many more than for a simple Non O. Although it was something that we wanted to do anyway, it appears that using this as a visa basis is a burden rather than a benefit.

It's just a "Non-O" extension - not "OA."  How difficult it is depends on many factors, including which office - some block you with one method, and others block you a different way.    I have been blocked for a Non-O extension based on marriage at 3 offices in 3 different parts of the country in 3 different ways (with multiple attempts with "additional docs" each time at one office) - to spite fully qualifying by the "official" requirements in every case.

You mentioned not wanting the 400K in the bank - which means proving 40K/mo income, which can be a mess.  The full amount must be from a "state pension" at some offices - and how to prove this varies by office.  One delayed-payment in a 12-mo period (or not showing as a "foreign transfer"), and they can use this to disqualify you.   I assume you won't be working in Thailand with a work-permit and proven income, which opens another avenue they use to block you on excessive required paperwork.

As well, some offices will demand a stack of "landlord docs" (not mentioned on any official source), which only the most available and helpful landlords will provide.  Some offices even block 60-day "visit wife/family" extensions for "landlord docs."  If you own your own condo, you can avoid that problem. 

So, basically, if you have 400K to stick in the bank for 3+ mo (2 mo before, and 1 to 2 mo after, depending on how long "under consideration" takes) AND own your own condo AND have a wife willing to put up with their verbal-abuse, then you are "good to go" for a 1-year Non-O extension based on marraige to a Thai.

• Thanks 1

On 4/16/2020 at 11:08 AM, ubonjoe said:

Non-o visas are not dead. It is just that you cannot get one if you are in the country already.

After the borders open to other countries you will still be able to apply for them.

At this time you can stay in the country until the emergency situation is over.

When it ends if married to or the parent if a Thai you can apply for a 60 day extension to visit them.

My multiple entry non-o for marriage has a Valid Until date of May 19, 2020. My latest 90 day stamp has an Admit Until date of May 9, 2020.

Do I need to apply for a 60 day extension before May 9th or can I wait until May 19th?

Thanks

4 minutes ago, Syke1911 said:

Do I need to apply for a 60 day extension before May 9th or can I wait until May 19th?

The 9th since that is the day you would have to leave the country on or before.

After you enter the country your visas expiration date means nothing.

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The 9th since that is the day you would have to leave the country on or before.

After you enter the country your visas expiration date means nothing.

Thanks. So for the 60 day extension that I'd apply for before the 9th, I don't need to show proof of funds I gather. Then near the end of that extension I can apply for a one year extension with the 400,000 THB seasoned for two months. And then I can keep showing the 400,000 every year and never have to leave the country, and just need to do 90 day reports?

Thanks

8 minutes ago, Syke1911 said:

My multiple entry non-o for marriage has a Valid Until date of May 19, 2020. My latest 90 day stamp has an Admit Until date of May 9, 2020.

Your 1-year ME Non Imm O - marriage Visa expiry date of May 19th is relevant only when by that date it would be possible to exit/enter Thailand again. 

If that would be the case (which is unlikely at present) you could then exit Thailand and return on May 19th latest.  That would provide you once again with a 90-day permission to stay, which at the end of the 90-days can be extended for 60-days at your local IO for reason of visiting your wife.

3 minutes ago, Syke1911 said:

Thanks. So for the 60 day extension that I'd apply for before the 9th, I don't need to show proof of funds I gather. Then near the end of that extension I can apply for a one year extension with the 400,000 THB seasoned for two months. And then I can keep showing the 400,000 every year and never have to leave the country, and just need to do 90 day reports?

Yes, that's correct.

Only comment is that you should not use the seasoned 400K until your application for the 1-year extension based on your Non Imm O - marriage Visa has been approved (which can take 3-4 weeks).  After the approval you are free to use the funds as you like, but you need to top up again to 400K two months before your next application for the 1-year extension of stay.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Syke1911 said:

No financial proof is needed for the 60 day extension.

After getting the one year extension you can apply for a new one year after year without needing to leave the country unless you want to.

5 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Very helpful Ubon Joe. This is in a very similar problem area to mine so I hope you can clarify further.

background:-  I am on a multiple entry Non O visa. I have lived with my partner for 5 years at her home here when we are not in Scotland together. I have not collected arrival cards TM whatevers in the past, remiss of me I know,  bureaucracy not my thing. I am OK here till end of May by when I hope flights have re-opened.

Apologies for the questions, any help that you can give will be much appreciated.

I assume the pension letter no longer applies. I had to show 20.000€ last year at Thai Embassy in Vienna. Website stated 5000 but Embasdy wanted 20.000. This was for non-O multi entry.

2 hours ago, Letseng said:

I assume the pension letter no longer applies. I had to show 20.000€ last year at Thai Embassy in Vienna. Website stated 5000 but Embasdy wanted 20.000. This was for non-O multi entry.

20K-Euros sounds more like the 800K Baht needed for a Non-OA Visa based on retirement.  It is also multiple-entry, but allows a 1-year permitted-stay upon entry.   A 65K Baht/mo pension should also qualify.

The Non-O (no "A") only give 90-days stay per-entry, and are not available at many embassies any more.  They were still available in Savannakhet Laos and HCMC Vietnam - pre-Covid-shutdown.

Edited by JackThompson