Exhausted on the frontline against Covid-19 - without proper PPE

webfact

Exhausted on the frontline against Covid-19 - without proper PPE

9pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A picture being widely shared and commented upon on Thai social media showed a doctor sitting exhausted up against a wall in the corridor of a quarantine facility. 

The doctor had to cobble together her own protection made up of what looked like a raincoat, plastic bags and Wellington boots. 

The picture was taken in Yaha district which is in Yala in southern Thailand. 

The post called the doctor a "hero" as Thais lamented the lack of basic protection that is being given to people on the frontline of the pandemic.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-04-16
  • Sad 2

Very sad. As per usual, the real heroes in this country get f*****. 

Maybe the army could look through their costume department and donate all those hazmat suits they were using for that ridiculously embarrassing PR stunt.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

30-40 cases a day, in the whole country, and she's knackered ?? Something is a little off somewhere !!

Bur, I don't mistrust the poor doctor.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Proboscis said:

The knackering aspect is NOT that there were 30-40 NEW cases a day (actually there were 96 NEW cases yesterday).

The knackering aspect is that there are approx 1100 cases being treated right now with a good percentage of them being on respiratory support (CPAP, Ventilator etc).

Working in ICUs means gowning up with whatever PPE is available. Try doing that for 12 hours a day. I would suspect that even if you are fit, you would not last more than an hour. Remember, all staff are involved in lifting patients so that they are rotated, constant clearing of airways, monitoring meds, detailed recording of vital and other signs.

Remember that you are not supposed to max the aircon in such locations as that will affect the inflamed lungs of covid-19 patients. So you are going to sweat in whatever PPE you have to wear.

Remember that there will be a percentage of your colleagues having to isolate due to symptoms, positive tests etc.

And while you are at it, there are a bunch of medics looking after all those ICU patients who are not Covid-19.

We are talking about thousands of patients who will stay in hospital for weeks with a high percentage spending a long time in ICU.

I hope you understand now.

Thanks... My comment was more directed at the establishment and not the front line workers... 

There was a bit of tongue in cheek, which was maybe too subtle ??

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The post called the doctor a "hero" as Thais lamented the lack of basic protection that is being given to people on the frontline of the pandemic.

The government should be ashamed of itself, considering the official numbers of infections that they are stating what would they have done if faced with what some other countries are going through?

Meltdown springs to mind!

2 hours ago, Proboscis said:

The knackering aspect is NOT that there were 30-40 NEW cases a day (actually there were 96 NEW cases yesterday).

The knackering aspect is that there are approx 1100 cases being treated right now with a good percentage of them being on respiratory support (CPAP, Ventilator etc).

Working in ICUs means gowning up with whatever PPE is available. Try doing that for 12 hours a day. I would suspect that even if you are fit, you would not last more than an hour. Remember, all staff are involved in lifting patients so that they are rotated, constant clearing of airways, monitoring meds, detailed recording of vital and other signs.

Remember that you are not supposed to max the aircon in such locations as that will affect the inflamed lungs of covid-19 patients. So you are going to sweat in whatever PPE you have to wear.

Remember that there will be a percentage of your colleagues having to isolate due to symptoms, positive tests etc.

And while you are at it, there are a bunch of medics looking after all those ICU patients who are not Covid-19.

We are talking about thousands of patients who will stay in hospital for weeks with a high percentage spending a long time in ICU.

With a total of 2700 cases in total your post makes no sense at all !

You cannot argue about something that is not there just because

there is a photo in newspaper !!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ukrules said:

Right now while under lockdown the government should be building massive hospitals all over the country.

That's what the lockdown is for - it's to buy time for what's coming after the lockdown.

While I agree there's need for a coordinated plan and response, there's no need to waste money on building hospitals when there are countless vacant hoteks, schools, auditoriums and sporting arenas in the LoS that can be used.

No need to burden the budget when that money can be spent on importing PPE and respirators from wonderful China.

11 hours ago, Proboscis said:

96 cases yesterday.   I thought it was  under  50 last 3 days?  

I still dont understand why the PUI number stays  so high?  How long do the test results take?  Or are these just # under quarantine and they  dont want to or not enough supplies to test them? 

I'm sure  12 hours on your feet in a trash bag, face mask,  and face mask would be a lot harder than bar stool quarterback. 

9 hours ago, brain150 said:

With a total of 2700 cases in total your post makes no sense at all !

You cannot argue about something that is not there just because

there is a photo in newspaper !!!

On 14 April 2020 at 18:00, Thailand announced that 666 additional people met the criteria for PUI, raising the total to 35,452 PUI, as shown in Table 1.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/situation.php