Celebration time!!! :D Just did it all on my own as a freelancer! A long, complicated process - rather daunting ... but easy when you know how! :o

Well tell us about it then :D

You got a workpermit to do freelance work in Thailand ?

Any kind of work or ?

And how did you do this long and complicated process ?

Can't wait to read all about it here on TV :D

Did you have to show a previous body of work ??

With new media I am very curious about how they define 'published' ??

Dare to dream that one day web publishers and bloggers may be able to gain a WP and visa (and pay tax)..

Please explain more (in visa section)..

As the M (media) visa is still issued - officially - only to film producers, foreign 'news' correspondents, etc; you will need an international media sponsor and prove (at this point in time) that you are promoting Thailand in a positive light.

As a freelancer, I work for many outlets - newspaper, magazine, film... but needed to have one concrete international sponsor in writing with: company registration details, media circulation and definite ties to Thailand; plus my role and financial status as correspondent/ representative.

Once letter is issued, make appointment for personal interview, accompanied by hard copies of published works (promoting Thailand :D ), with Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA)- Press Division, and make case that you are/ will be working in a positive PR capacity.

Leave Thailand (in my case), obtain M visa at Thai consulate abroad (Singapore, for me).

With newly acquired M visa and official sponsor letter, 3 x more Official MFA letters are required to present to Immigration (for one-yr visa), Dept of Employment (for Work permit) and Dept. of Public Relations (for official Press card).

Done!!!! Only took me 9 mths and 60 000 baht +++ in expenses ... :o BUT am sure can be much less painful for those with a "financially-friendly sponsor".

Good luck! :D

As the M (media) visa is still issued - officially - only to film producers, foreign 'news' correspondents, etc; you will need an international media sponsor and prove (at this point in time) that you are promoting Thailand in a positive light.

As a freelancer, I work for many outlets - newspaper, magazine, film... but needed to have one concrete international sponsor in writing with: company registration details, media circulation and definite ties to Thailand; plus my role and financial status as correspondent/ representative.

Once letter is issued, make appointment for personal interview, accompanied by hard copies of published works (promoting Thailand :D ), with Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA)- Press Division, and make case that you are/ will be working in a positive PR capacity.

Leave Thailand (in my case), obtain M visa at Thai consulate abroad (Singapore, for me).

With newly acquired M visa and official sponsor letter, 3 x more Official MFA letters are required to present to Immigration (for one-yr visa), Dept of Employment (for Work permit) and Dept. of Public Relations (for official Press card).

Done!!!! Only took me 9 mths and 60 000 baht +++ in expenses ... :o BUT am sure can be much less painful for those with a "financially-friendly sponsor".

Very informative...Thanks for taking the time to post :D

RAZZ

• 2 weeks later...

Bravo for the links Gaz Chiangmai (which I forgot to incl.) - the only IMPORTANT update is a CHANGE OF ADDRESS - Dec 2006- for ONE STOP SERVICE CENTRE ( work permit, immigration visa) luckily brought to my attention days before trip to BKK:

NEW ADDRESS: -

ONE STOP SERVICE CENTRE

16th floor, Rasa Tower

2555 Phaholyothin Rd

Chatuchak, Bangkok

(near Central Ladprao)

tel: 02 9371155

:o

Congratualtions mate, but really only 60,000b and 9 months! :D 555!

Once letter is issued, make appointment for personal interview, accompanied by hard copies of published works (promoting Thailand :bah: ), with Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA)- Press Division, and make case that you are/ will be working in a positive PR capacity.

And your point is? :D

I DID IT!!!! Maybe I will crack and leave next week - OR I will stay here for years to come with my M-visa but, MY point is, it's actually possible to pull off the seemingly IMpossible, when you work with the 'system'.... :D

Congrats. How long does the visa last for? Do you have to renew it (and the WP) every year?

Chai - renewable every year, as long as my taxes are paid in full and statements produced to prove it.

Thankyou for the congrats - as a responsible tax paying citizen I hope to have my M-visa and work permit renewed for many years to come..... :o

Once letter is issued, make appointment for personal interview, accompanied by hard copies of published works (promoting Thailand :bah: ), with Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA)- Press Division, and make case that you are/ will be working in a positive PR capacity.

And your point is? :D

I DID IT!!!! Maybe I will crack and leave next week - OR I will stay here for years to come with my M-visa but, MY point is, it's actually possible to pull off the seemingly IMpossible, when you work with the 'system'.... :D

My point isn't worth sharing, I only share that with the 'missus'. I am not sure of your M visa implications, and I grant you success, but really you think it implifies as you quote you 'stay for years to come'? Am I missing something here? Let me know the details please....it must go down as a first in M Visa History...

:bah:.....by the way Im just jealous, goodluck mate, you deserve it!

Edited by kratindaeng