Mac Vs Windows. Who's the daddy?

WineOh

Mac or Windows?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Liverpoolfan said:

mac likes to throw old machines on the skip heap once passed a certain age.

I have my mac since 2012 also and it seems to be doing fine, though I am a pretty basic user... it does what I need... 

but, the real comparison will be if you look back after 8 years and see if you are still pleased with your windows... maybe you are enjoying the new car smell at the moment and w/quarantine like to have the experience of playing with the stick??

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kenk24 said:

but, the real comparison will be if you look back after 8 years and see if you are still pleased with your windows...

this laptop cost me 60 quid!

If I can get 8 years out of it I will be over the moon! ???? 

• Haha 1

I use Windows since Windows 3.0 and I am happy with it. I worked on a couple of Mac and I didn't much like it.

And the reason I didn't like it is because it was and is different. Menus are different, keyboard shortcuts are different, system settings are different, etc.

The problem is not the Mac, the problem is that I am not used to it and it's different.

And the same happens with Mac users who use Windows (a little). It's different so it's not as easy to use like the computer we use all the time.

Are there differences? Sure? But almost everything is possible on both systems. It's just a little different.

Would I want to change from Windows to Mac? No.

And if I would use Mac would I want to change to Windows. No.

Same, same - but different. ????

• Thanks 2

The marketing guys must love you. Linux Mint on my laptop, Ubuntu on my desktop. Would sooner chew razor blades than go back to Windows, Macs are way over-priced. Haven't had either for 6-7 years.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And the reason I didn't like it is because it was and is different. Menus are different, keyboard shortcuts are different, system settings are different, etc.

The problem is not the Mac, the problem is that I am not used to it and it's different.

for me the difference of the OS layout wasn't really the biggie.

It was the fact that now my machine is unable to upgrade to the new OS, despite being powerful enough to do so.

The way apple have affectedly ended many machines lives prematurely really annoyed me.

It really depends on what you are using the machine for.

As a web developer and serious programmer, Windows is unacceptable. It is not a "real" operating system, and using it for development is a serious pain in the neck.

If you are using the machine for general purposes, internet, office, school, etc., Windows is a fine choice. If you need MS Office, forget about the MacOS. There are also many programs available for Windows that do not run on the Mac unless you are using a virtual machine to run Windows, in which case native Windows is a better choice.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The marketing guys must love you. Linux Mint on my laptop, Ubuntu on my desktop. Would sooner chew razor blades than go back to Windows, Macs are way over-priced. Haven't had either for 6-7 years.

tried linux once.

not for me.

It had it''s good parts but I went back to mac within a couple of days.

2 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

I am an Apple man all the way.  All my stuff is Apple and it all just works without having to tinker with it all the time.  I don't mind the price because I own Apple stock and have made a bundle.????

I still have lots of apple stuff (phone, watch etc).

Their phones are great, can't deny that.

I couldn't imagine ever going back to a Nokia now ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Liverpoolfan said:

for me the difference of the OS layout wasn't really the biggie.

It was the fact that now my machine is unable to upgrade to the new OS, despite being powerful enough to do so.

The way apple have affectedly ended many machines lives prematurely really annoyed me.

I am sure it's possible to use a 10 year old Mac.

And I know it's possible to use a 10 year old Windows PC.

But don't expect from any of them that they will be able to run the newest software and don't expect any performance.

Let's not forget that things changed a lot.

Yes, 10 years ago we also had email and websites. But compare them to today. It's a night and day difference. And that is one of the reasons why old PCs are not able to handle the same things, like WWW and email, anymore. Because they are not the same anymore.

Look i.e. at Google in 2010 and now...

google-2010.png

Google.thumb.png.144188cb25197bb77b671ca69b44fdd9.png

I would stick to Windows or in a pinch Linux.  I paid a pretty penny for an Ipad 2 about 10 years ago.  Now it is basically a brick since applications require a higher level of the Apple Operating system than can be updated on my Ipad 2.  I only used the Ipad 2 for audio and text files but it was great when it worked  Apple should not require apps like Audible to upgrade to the current level of operating system while forcing them to drop support for lower levels.  SInce,  Apple promotes an artistic image of their brand the cost of software is exorbitant.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, timendres said:

It really depends on what you are using the machine for.

As I never code I think Windows is best for me.

All I ever use are normal programs/apps.

I'm just your average home user ???? 

• Like 1

I use Linux & Windows. The only real way Mac out performs Windows these days are for serious audio engineers / music producers. Viruses aren't the concern they once were and the vast majority of software out there is developed for Windows first. I see no reason to own a Mac.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

This old chestnut - we really ARE bored, aren't we?

It's been established, time and time again, if you want to use business applications, Windows crushes it. If you want to use art applications, Mac crushes it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J Town said:

This old chestnut - we really ARE bored, aren't we?

sorry, didn't know this had been discussed here before??

and yes, staying at home for 4 weeks solid definitely does make one bored..

• Haha 1

Apple is better but can't justify spending so much when all I do is browse the internet

Windows is a lot more open and easier to do illegal things, so do prefer that aspect of it

I also think Windows has caught up a lot more in what it was lacking in comparison to Mac

Most people use Windows and have never tried a Mac, so Windows will win the poll

I'll take a Window's-based computer any day over anything Apple. I have an iMac and a MacBookPro, both of which I use only when I have no choice. I find everything easier and more intuitive on either my PC or my laptop. When you bring price into the picture, it becomes a total no-brainer.

Edited by GalaxyMan
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

Windows is a lot more open and easier to do illegal things, so do prefer that aspect of it

I don't seem to have any problems doing illegal things with my Mac. And to the OP, I wonder how many windows computers lasted as long as your Mac has. Using a Mac circa 2012 and it's still working is pretty good going in my opinion.   

1 minute ago, cyril sneer said:

Most people use Windows and have never tried a Mac, so Windows will win the poll

I taught music - recording techniques - at several international schools for years, and as such needed to be well versed on both platforms. I used Windows Pro Tools and Mac Logic.

Pro Tools was hands down superior when editing sound tracks. Logic was the most forgiving when it came to hardware. I had an 88-key keyboard that had been built in China. I tried everything I could, downloaded every driver imaginable to connect that damned thing to Pro Tools with no luck. I plugged it into my Mac and *poof* it was instantly recognized. I used to tell my students I believe we could have plugged in a toaster and the Mac would somehow connect.

On the other hand, I had a copy of Office for Mac, and it would be kind to call it an abomination.

As I previously posted, in my not-so-humble opinion, Windows is great for business apps, Mac is great for art apps.

1 minute ago, CharlieK said:

I don't seem to have any problems doing illegal things with my Mac. And to the OP, I wonder how many windows computers lasted as long as your Mac has. Using a Mac circa 2012 and it's still working is pretty good going in my opinion.   

I still have a Mac mini 2010. That was the last year (as far as I know) where the user could add RAM and change out the hard drive with not TOO much difficulty. There are even Youtube videos offering step-by-step how to's.

4 minutes ago, CharlieK said:

I've been a pirate/hacker for decades. The Windows operating system and file system is MUCH more amenable to getting your hands into it. The Mac file system is much more amorphous and difficult to get in to get your hands dirty. Yes, you've obviously worked around it. Kudos to you.

I've got all Apple Stuff except the Watch, tried one but to me they look like a Babies Toy to me.Now the PC Mac looks nice, no clutter like the old things. Bit expensive seein as i just use it for You Tube type stuff,and now lockdown passin time here.I Phone to is expensive, but  Rather like being told by Old Malcontents that their 50$ one is just as good, strange that, the ones i bought were 1 year wonders. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, J Town said:

As I previously posted, in my not-so-humble opinion, Windows is great for business apps, Mac is great for art apps.

Sorry to disagree, but I worked for 15 years as a graphic artist which is what caused me to first purchase an Apple computer. The designer that I replaced had created everything in proprietary Apple fonts and the ownership didn't want to change to something Windows compatible. They preferred wasting a lot of money buying computers to suit the software. I HATED using the iMac or the MacBookPro for those tasks. It is so much easier and faster in Windows.