Thai economy suffering worst damage since 1950s, experts say

webfact

Optimistic point of view to say the least!  Maybe he hasn't factored in the pain other countries are experiencing.   Maybe he thinks those overpriced $60k plus pick-ups in Western countries will start flying out the door of dealerships.  All those unemployed people will be rushing back to LOS for a holiday!  Maybe living in a university bubble isn't the right place for a dose of reality!

• Like 2

Hello ,

So Thai Government manipulates the The Baht to produce poor Exchange Rates  to make The Cats Fatter and Richer and now there crying !!
Bad Economy !! BOOOOWHOOOO !! Maybe now your wishing you did not do what you did to the Exchange Rates , HUH ??????? :)  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

This is going to be a rough ride downhill for the baht...be interesting to see if the hard-asses free up the visa requirements for tourist and retirees...

Maybe those "dirty-farang's" money is not so bad after all...

The fewer the "dirty-farang's" are in Thailand the better!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Isaan sailor said:

Currency traders—that’s mega banks, financial houses and even small individual traders.  When the signals change from risk off (buy safe havens) to risk on (sell safe havens, buy emerging markets), your mighty Baht rises.  And incredibly, they consider Thailand a stable economy (low inflation, decent interest rates, no political turmoil, and very high USD in reserve).

If they've got all these reserves, why are they borrowing nearly 2 trillion baht ??

6 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

This is going to be a rough ride downhill for the baht...be interesting to see if the hard-asses free up the visa requirements for tourist and retirees...

Maybe those "dirty-farang's" money is not so bad after all...

Retirees are just a minor fraction of the money going around, they are loud only here on TV. The real tourist money is what counts, and with their usual stay of 2 or 3 weeks, they never have / had a visa problem.

• Like 1

This is an alarmist headline, typical of mainstream media hype. The Thai economy came to a standstill, yes just now, but as soon as things are contained it will bounce back. Its just a snapshot of what is at this very moment in time -and does not account for how quickly it will likely bounce back. The Thai SET is already projecting this, having rallied back 20% off its low point in March. That of course is not mentioned. Stock markets are always forward looking.

• Like 1

I have been speaking to a nice young lady from Booking.com and she reckons it will be about November before the tourist start coming back and they think it will be the Asian markets first, and she said the European tourist will be next year before they start booking,

Kiss goodbye to the zero-unemployment the government has trumpeted to anyone who would listen.

It was widely regarded as sophistry anyway. Several million is a bit more realistic and real-world, even if S. Korea and Japan are likely to the the opportunity to tighten up on tourist visas to Thais. Way too many 'Robin Hood' Thais, and way too much tolerance by the host country governments.

Not finished yet, Africa is up next. Fasten your safety belts, Africa will be quite a lot worse by virtue of their cultural norms. Also the Hispanic countries. Mr Trump will be so happy.

Edited by ParkerN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SmartyMarty said:

Quick, get the tourists back. No virus here.

Appreciate the sarcasm, but actually reminded me...

What of the "dirty diseased farangs" lining up in the hundreds at immigration only a few weeks ago?

If we are indeed "the diseased ones", then shouldnt there have been a huge outbreak amongst those people that were at immigration?

It didnt happen? 

So how do the Thais authorities explain that?

since some Thais even believe its our fault and not the Chinese.

Then there was the hugely anticipated panic of outbreaks everywhere (especially Isaan) from the 1000s of Thais converging at MoChit2 to get out of Bangkok?

what about that?

That is aside from the millions of Chinese tourists that flooded Thailand early around Jan-feb..

By all accounts a good 40% of Thailand should be infected by now IF this thing is as bad as they say.

I dont read much here, but surely we would have heard if mass farangs and Thais got infected from these events?

Surely people are soon going to do more than ask questions about all this Buเเ<deleted> we have been sold?

IMO, The whole thing just stinks to high heaven.

17 minutes ago, leggo said:

The fewer the "dirty-farang's" are in Thailand the better!

Christ, get over it. This was one man only that said this, and to be fair to him, did he actually say "dirty"? 

Actually, yesterday my mother said she was surprised that Thailand wasn't more infected due to the lack of hygiene here! I think many of us, due to the environment we were brought up in, have preconceived ideas about foreigners. 

Edited by Neeranam
yes
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lks7689 said:

The last time I replied to a post was years ago. Since I'm bored from the lockdown in my own country, let me say some <deleted> to go along with the daily doses going around here. So what have farangs, who have "invested" or wasted their time and money in Thailand prior gotta do with how Thailand dictate policies? Times has change and certainly I'm sure the countries these farangs came from has seen better days. If not, they would have zip up, admit they made the wrong judgement call and went back where they came from, why "suffer" in Thailand? For years I have invested in Thailand, then found the culture unsuitable and moved on. I could whine like many losers here do on a daily basis but I figured, what's the chances of me changing a Thai mindset so deeply rooted in greed and superficiality? People in thaivisa has been whining for decades, what has changed? You farangs know the deal in Thailand yet still you stay there, taking pot shots at Thai incompetence that you know very well will continue past the day you die. By staying you are admitting there's a part of Thailand that you still crave and can't let go. Isn't that hypocritical? 

You should have stayed asleep.

I dont live in Thailand at the moment - used to - but now in Aust waiting for the pension (must be here to get it).

TV and all Forums are the opportunity for people to exchange their ideas and thoughts - that is what they are for.

You have every right to complain about Farangs just as I do to complain about the Thai Govt and their decisions.

And we all realise that we have nil chance of changing things - just as you have no chance changing me/us.

So - do you agree with the Thai Govt's focus on Chinese/Indian/Russian tourists and their ever growing impositions against western tourists (Farangs) - especially the 'long stay' ones?

• Like 2

Hopefully everyone has been dollar cost averaging into TQQQ over the past month. Up 70%. Still 60-80% gains to be made. Buy the DIP. 

Rule of thumb: during times of uncertainty, buy TVIX. When the coast looks clear and the "managed US economy" is full steam ahead, buy TQQQ. TQQQ is a 3x leveraged technology ETF of all the best tech companies in Silicon Valley. It's the only long term investment you really need. Up 300%+ over 5 years ( even with COVID crash ). 

10 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

So - do you agree with the Thai Govt's focus on Chinese/Indian/Russian tourists and their ever growing impositions against western tourists (Farangs) - especially the 'long stay' ones?

What exactly are the Thai government doing to single out white tourists? 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Put the Baht back to 65 to the £ and we will all be over the moon

no such luck...for the past 2-3 days the USD is gaining vs the majority of currencies yet there's only 1 that's steady gaining vs the USD.... guess which one 555

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Magenta408 said:

The economy was tanking well before Covid-19. Tourism was slumping and exports were all but dwindling. Everyone is using 19 as a good scapegoat. 

So true! And not only in Thailand. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, thaistocks said:

This is an alarmist headline, typical of mainstream media hype. The Thai economy came to a standstill, yes just now, but as soon as things are contained it will bounce back. Its just a snapshot of what is at this very moment in time -and does not account for how quickly it will likely bounce back. The Thai SET is already projecting this, having rallied back 20% off its low point in March. That of course is not mentioned. Stock markets are always forward looking.

Stock markets don't mean s..t!

They are completely distorted by the actions of the central banks, especially these days. 

Save for CNBC and the likes, who are stock peddlers, no one actually think there will be a quick bounce back, and that even include the central banks themselves, not to mention the IMF and other official organizations. 

Thailand will be badly hurt, with no tourism for a long time, and probably slow exports. 

• Like 2