Anyone have experience trading in used cars at the dealership for a new car? (Toyota)

I have a good condition 2017 Toyota Fortuner TRD Sportivo 2.8 4X4 that I am thinking about trading in for a new 2020 Toyota Hilux truck of comparable spec. We own the vehicle completely. 

I have zero experience in trade-ins in Thailand and the wife doesn't even know if they do such a thing. 

Had anyone done a trade-in in Thailand at a proper dealership and care to share their experience? 

It looks like the market value for my Fortuner and the sale price for the Hilux I am looking at are about the same. 

I have a feeling given my rural location that the Hilux would probably have to be special ordered. Would I have to give up the Fortuner to them until the Hilux is delivered? 

If you did do a trade in, did they give you a fair/market value for your old vehicle? 

• Thanks 1

My advise would be to sit on it for a while this is hardly the market for trading cars,

I dont know about where you live but I have traded a couple of cars for a new ones here in Phuket and I know other people and it's not the main dealer that buys your car they seem to have a list of second hand car dealers and they are the ones who give you a price as it was in our case we did get a fair price as it seems the second hand value holds it's price with certain vehicles, in your area is there a market for Fortuna's? have a drive around see what they are selling at or try sell it privately 

Would I have to give up the Fortuner to them until the Hilux is delivered?

We took the old car to the main dealer on the same day we collected the new car and just left it there the money was given to the main dealer as part payment for the new car

when we got our new nissan 2 years ago we traded in the vios(4 years old), the car dealer they used told us that because it was a manual it would be harder to sell as thais like automatics so price was not as good as what I wanted. Nissan offered us extras to make it up though so we eventually agreed and handed over the keys, signed the contract  and got our new keys, thing is there was a young couple also in the show room and they then handed the dealer a wad of cash and he gave them our keys, he had already sold the vios to them so had blatantly lied to us about the reason to keep the price low, was not impressed, just beware that they may try to rip you off with the price they offer.

Edited by seajae
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Unless the OP has a really good reason to swap a Fortuner for a Hilux, e.g  carriage of bulky goods, I would not do it. I would not be trading in or otherwise selling a 3 yo vehicle unless I had racked up at least 250,000 km in that time.

It makes financial sense to buy a new vehicle and keep it for 10 - 15 years. Selling a perfectly good 3 yo vehicle doesn't.

Not many folks want to drive same thing for 15 years,unless they not realy a Car Person or no disposable money

• Like 1

Toyota will do a trade through their "Toyota Sure" arm, however, you will get around 150K less than market value.

Best you list your Fortuner for sale privately, Taladrod, One2Car + many others especially on Facebook, get an ad done in Thai as well, more likely you will get a genuine Thai buyer quickly at the correct price.

This is from recent experience.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mama Noodle said:

Had anyone done a trade-in in Thailand at a proper dealership and care to share their experience? 

I did a trade-in with Toyota about 8 years ago.   Got a very good price for my 4 year old Vios.

BUT,  the good prices one used to get for used cars/trucks  is a no longer the case,   So many

used vehicles now that the price one can get when selling has gone down considerably.

I took a new Toyota pick up for a test drive recently.  VERY bouncy ride if used normally.

Maybe good if one carries heavy loads,  but i was not interested for my light use

Maybe the full gravity of the current situation isn't being recognized or accepted as real.  We are entering unchartered territory and very very challenging times.

Regardless of your financial position or desires to consumerism, if there are no buyers of secondhand cars, any likely "good deal" on a part ex will not be forthcoming.  Any dealer Toyota or otherwise use car yards to offload these - so given these are full of stock and have been over stocked for years, I d say you re unlikely to get anything near what's fair.  Very probably 20% minimum below what the market could stand 6 months ago.

Hang into it, but don't expect things to change in the next coming months.  This will be for a years to 2.

But what you could do is contact a few of those members who slated me,  on a similar topic. They seem very benevolent chaps, just tell then your skint.  Bet they ll give you top dollar, 555

9 minutes ago, LennyW said:

Toyota will do a trade through their "Toyota Sure" arm, however, you will get around 150K less than market value.

Best you list your Fortuner for sale privately, Taladrod, One2Car + many others especially on Facebook, get an ad done in Thai as well, more likely you will get a genuine Thai buyer quickly at the correct price.

This is from recent experience.

Very true, 2 Months ago i traded in with Honda a 3 YO Accord for a 2 Mill new one. I could have got 200 more privately , but im bone idle to be honest. Got all the Insurance n Freebies. They dont like cash so tiny discout only, how much i cant remeber, but job done and dusted.

53 minutes ago, rumak said:

I took a new Toyota pick up for a test drive recently.  VERY bouncy ride if used normally.

Maybe good if one carries heavy loads,  but i was not interested for my light use

I have previously owned a Hilux and Mitsubishi Triton. In both cases, they needed a full load to have a reasonable ride. Unladen, they skittered around like barefoot on hot sand.

2 hours ago, seajae said:

when we got our new nissan 2 years ago we traded in the vios(4 years old), the car dealer they used told us that because it was a manual it would be harder to sell as thais like automatics so price was not as good as what I wanted. Nissan offered us extras to make it up though so we eventually agreed and handed over the keys, signed the contract  and got our new keys, thing is there was a young couple also in the show room and they then handed the dealer a wad of cash and he gave them our keys, he had already sold the vios to them

Amazing, the dealer had a customer in the showroom with a wad of cash who had agreed to buy your not-yet-traded-in car, sight unseen, before the dealer even took possession of it?  Amazing.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I have previously owned a Hilux and Mitsubishi Triton. In both cases, they needed a full load to have a reasonable ride. Unladen, they skittered around like barefoot on hot sand.

Right .   Now i would like to test an Izusu  .   I like the spacecab , and want an automatic.

Love my old reliable,  but no power steering kills me when going to the city.  Need to be a weightlifter to get it into a parking space.  Anyone have a newer Izuzu PU  that can comment on whether

the ride is smooth or bumpy ?

Edited by CharlieH
File removed as requested

3 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

I have a good condition 2017 Toyota Fortuner TRD Sportivo 2.8 4X4 that I am thinking about trading in for a new 2020 Toyota Hilux truck

With a late Fortuner vehicle Toyota "Sure" outlet as said will probably do a deal.

Unless your really throwing pick-ups into bends they are not that bad .

I have a smart cab Revo and it seems fine for a pick-up .

Admittedly it sways around like a boat compared to car but so did the Ford Everest I was driving a few weeks ago not sure if the fortuner is as bad as the Everest but I wasnt sure if I needed to put an oar out the window to go round some corners

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, rumak said:

Right .   Now i would like to test an Izusu  .   I like the spacecab , and want an automatic.

Love my old reliable,  but no power steering kills me when going to the city.  Need to be a weightlifter to get it into a parking space.  Anyone have a newer Izuzu PU  that can comment on whether

the ride is smooth or bumpy ?

Ours is 2 a year old 1.9 smartcab not idea to use as a car IMHO, the 4D Vigo I had in 2005 was a better ride.

The Smartcab 1.9 is a good work horse and the ride is good fully loaded, good fuel economical engine, only 1,300 for tax/ins compared to 7,000 for the 4D Vigo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kwak250 said:

Unless your really throwing pick-ups into bends they are not that bad .

I have a smart cab Revo and it seems fine for a pick-up .

Admittedly it sways around like a boat compared to car but so did the Ford Everest I was driving a few weeks ago not sure if the fortuner is as bad as the Everest but I wasnt sure if I needed to put an oar out the window to go round some corners

The vigo I had was as you said, I got the shocks upgraded at "Cockpit" it made a noticeable difference but couple of bags of cement in the back made a difference too. ???? 

• Like 1

Going from a Fortuner to a pickup you are trading down to a lesser vehicle with a poorer ride. Unless you need the carrying capacity I would not go for it.

Fortuner probably easy to sell privately for better price. Ask what the dealer would give you as a trade in and use this as a guide to bottom value. Look online to see what you could sell it for on sites like www.one2car.com

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I want to trade in the fortuner for a couple of reasons. 

1 - A truck is more practical for us. We don’t even have trash pick up near by so I have to drive it to the nearest trash can. 

2 - Ideally I’d like to make a lateral trade with minimal out of pocket expense. I’d have a more practical car with zero kilometers on the clock brand new without really paying for anything. 

Top model Hilux Revo Rocco with all available options is about 1.2 mil and the market value for my model of fortuner is about 1.2 mil. 

I’m American so Im not new to the drivability of pick up trucks.  

37 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

I assume you mean 800k and if so I’d obviously keep it or try and sell privately. 

Bast option in my oppinion. Those prices you see in 12 Car are asking prices and mistaken as a yardstick for valuing what they have to sell.  Your Fortuna is definately a good private sale item. Good Luck.

Seems someone doesn't now the difference between 80,000 and 800,000, your spelling isn't much better either.  But hey unlike you I dont go jumping on people and dismissing them as liars over such small mistakes.

Have a nice day.