Stocking Up My Freezer during the Lockdown

PhotoJohn

Well done

As i post now over at the Phillipines The Australia Govt are sending 2 aircraft to Manilla to take home Aussie Expats who are fleeing  there. largely due to shooting residents dead for breaking Isolation laws for buying rice

My close cobber of 50 yrs plus is among them

hope the same does.nt prevail here

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Have you given some thought to buying some of those freezer blocks to put in the freezer in case the power goes off? Not much joy having a freezer full of thawed food.

I only say that because in a lockdown if the power goes off one is in a pickle. Thai electricity is never guaranteed. Mine used to go off quite regularly.

A bit useless. If power if off short time you don't need the blocks. If power is off long time, blocks will melt and won't be of any use.

1 minute ago, gamesgplayemail said:

A bit useless. If power if off short time you don't need the blocks. If power is off long time, blocks will melt and won't be of any use.

If one has sufficient blocks and keeps the door closed as much as possible, it would hopefully tide one over till the power returns.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Freezing doesn't stop food from eventually going off, it just slows it down, something a lot of people forget.  Food left in a freezer too long will inevitably deteriorate. I have a minimal amount kept in mine and nothing over 6 months old.  

Meat is good for at least a year. I have soft cheese that is dated 2015 and been using it recently. Tastes exactly as it should. I’m still here. Bread on the other hand I agree with you, a few weeks at best.

• Like 1

Thanks for the very kind words John.  Must also say that you have been a very kind and loyal guest here for I believe more than 10 years.  Seems to be a good program that we have.... you know your stock reserve, you make your order and thanks for giving us a bit of a notice, that way we can make it fresh for you, and one or two days later you pick up your package.  Some day I will go back and see how many chicken pies you have eaten in the past 10 years. Got to be a record of some sort.

I do want to say thank you for your patronage especially in the rough times currently.  Helps us out immensly and keeps you from too many trips in the cruel outside world.  Thank You. .... and if you know of any others who may be interested in joining the program, please let them know about it.  Thanks and stay healthy

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 1:27 PM, deej said:

Well done

As i post now over at the Phillipines The Australia Govt are sending 2 aircraft to Manilla to take home Aussie Expats who are fleeing  there. largely due to shooting residents dead for breaking Isolation laws for buying rice

My close cobber of 50 yrs plus is among them

hope the same does.nt prevail here

I do similarly but I buy very little ready frozen meals. I buy fresh vegetables, blanche them and freeze in 2-portion sizes. I make bulk curry sauce, pumpkin soup. I buy nice fresh bread when I can get it and freeze it. It defrosts pretty well and I am happy with my plan to have prepared servings to facilitate a few recipes my wife and I like.

As I write, there a few problems re living restrictions or scarcities where I live but one never knows if things might worsen.

• Thanks 1

With having the knack for cooking and cooking good food I make a large portion of things and freeze the leftovers. Just last week I made a huge pan of beef lasagna. I ate it for dinner that same day and again for lunch the day after. Then I divided it in individual potions and froze the rest. Now I can enjoy a hearty and tasty lasagna every few weeks for the next 4-6 months. You should try my spicy breakfast burritos where I make 20 or so at a time and keep them frozen except for the ones I'm going to eat during the week.

I do the same for many other things I make. For example I make my own pizza dough and currently have about 5 frozen dough balls in my freezer. Pop one out the night before, allow it to thaw in the refrigerator, then leaving it on the counter for a few hours at room temp, knead it a few minutes, then stretch and roll onto my pizza pan....presto a homemade pizza can be acquired in less than 30 minutes (prepping the topping and baking time).

BTW, a chest type freezer (new) will only set you back about 10-12k THB and doesn't really take that much space. Also good to have plenty of ice available if you enjoy drinking Jack & Coke... ????

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PhotoJohn said:

Even if the power is out for an entire day, the fuller your freezer is, the longer your food will last.  As long as you don't keep opening the freezer during the outage.

True and if there is space in the freezer, pack it with scrunched up newspaper or similar to fill the void. The less air in the freezer, the better as air is far trickier to freeze than food.

• Like 1

My 10 year old Samsung freezer packed in a few weeks before the Chinese virus hit and so had to buy a new one. Wife and I both fancied one of the biggest in the range and bought it, This has turned out to be a stroke of luck.

One rare thing I changed in my wifes many Thai habits was buying for a day at a time, she now understands a monthly shop. I don't ever buy ready meals as, as 4myego says they tend to be very unhealthy. The OP may not have a choice though.

We fill it up with enough lamb, beef, pork, chicken and fish for 3 to 4 weeks and it still has room for some ice, keto ice cream and frozen berries.

I buy often from paleorobbie who, if you are in Bangkok will also send you very healthy frozen meals. They ship grocery nationwide but the meal plans are only for those in the Bangkok area, which is a shame as they look very tasty. 

2 hours ago, Saltire said:

We fill it up with enough lamb, beef, pork, chicken and fish for 3 to 4 weeks and it still has room for some ice, keto ice cream and frozen berries.

Please... where do you find Keto ice cream?  I have to make it myself, and while it tastes good, the consistency is not the same as I don't have a paddle-type ice cream maker.

There are 3-4 Keto-friendly outlets here in Chiang Mai, but I've never seen any ice cream.

17 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

Naysaying for the sake of naysaying?

I made a suggestion. If you don't like it no one is forcing you to do it.

12 hours ago, Saltire said:

I don't ever buy ready meals as, as 4myego says they tend to be very unhealthy.

Have you ever read the ingredients in supermarket processed/ canned food?

IMO all supermarket is unhealthy, but most of us have to eat it.

I doubt ready meals are any worse than anything else in a supermarket. I've been eating them for over a year and health no worse than before.

If people want to be more healthy, drink more water. That simple thing has made my health better. Most of us don't drink enough water.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Just last week I made a huge pan of beef lasagna. I ate it for dinner that same day and again for lunch the day after. Then I divided it in individual potions and froze the rest.

Agreed. When I was doing night duty I used to cook up a large pot full of everything I thought suitable and froze it in small containers. That way I could take one to work every night and just heat in the microwave. Obviously the cafeteria wasn't open at night so that was a simple solution.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I doubt ready meals are any worse than anything else in a supermarket. I've been eating them for over a year and health no worse than before.

When it comes to eating unhealthy foods, it generally takes longer than a year or two for problems to develop. For many of the bodily functions, impairment can take 5-10 years to manifest itself, at which point, the problem 'suddenly' becomes apparent, and we shake our heads in wonder, asking ourselves "Why? We haven't changed anything?" There is a slow build-up or slow break-down, etc., that we are never aware of until the whole system collapses.  That's why there is such a high rate of Adult On-set Diabetes, and why as we age, we wake up one day and find ourselves 'suddenly' 50lbs heavier than we were when we were in our 20's or 30's.  Just the incredible amount of sugar and high fructose corn syrup in processed foods causes Americans to eat an average of 57lbs of sugar a year. Perhaps just 5lbs of that gets added to coffee or tea. The rest comes from processed foods. Germany, Australia, and the UK are also in the Top 10 sugar consumers.

When I stopped eating processed foods, my weight dropped off me like a stone, and I took 11" off my belt. Had to buy all new clothes!

Ready meals for take-away from restaurants may (or may not) be healthy. Frozen prepared meals from the supermarket are not. Once in a while they may be fine. As a steady diet... not so much.

• Like 2

So I when to Pun Pun today got  meatloaf chicken beef stew and a chicken pie to mashed potatoes gravy the place looks the same and as always he gives me a discount for mentioning Thai visa it’s a shame the cops don’t allow him to have backpackers anymore And alcohol he’s really a good guy always been helpful to me I think everything came to 540 bht Which was very reasonable

15 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Please... where do you find Keto ice cream?  I have to make it myself, and while it tastes good, the consistency is not the same as I don't have a paddle-type ice cream maker.

There are 3-4 Keto-friendly outlets here in Chiang Mai, but I've never seen any ice cream.

Paleorobbie.com nationwide delivery but outside BKK min order of 3k Baht, arrives frozen and I am 7 hours from BKK so you may be ok in CM.

I recommend the chocolate and the blueberry ones

317355325_Screenshot2020-04-1910_35_31.png.ceaf39ff5997e3e48934b130179cf20f.png

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TheFishman1 said:

So I when to Pun Pun today got  meatloaf chicken beef stew and a chicken pie to mashed potatoes gravy the place looks the same and as always he gives me a discount for mentioning Thai visa it’s a shame the cops don’t allow him to have backpackers anymore And alcohol he’s really a good guy always been helpful to me I think everything came to 540 bht Which was very reasonable

.....So its been about half hour since you left.... any food left???    Thank you for the kind words and it was really good seeing you again.

Gonzo

2 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

When it comes to eating unhealthy foods, it generally takes longer than a year or two for problems to develop. For many of the bodily functions, impairment can take 5-10 years to manifest itself, at which point, the problem 'suddenly' becomes apparent, and we shake our heads in wonder, asking ourselves "Why? We haven't changed anything?" There is a slow build-up or slow break-down, etc., that we are never aware of until the whole system collapses.  That's why there is such a high rate of Adult On-set Diabetes, and why as we age, we wake up one day and find ourselves 'suddenly' 50lbs heavier than we were when we were in our 20's or 30's.  Just the incredible amount of sugar and high fructose corn syrup in processed foods causes Americans to eat an average of 57lbs of sugar a year. Perhaps just 5lbs of that gets added to coffee or tea. The rest comes from processed foods. Germany, Australia, and the UK are also in the Top 10 sugar consumers.

When I stopped eating processed foods, my weight dropped off me like a stone, and I took 11" off my belt. Had to buy all new clothes!

Ready meals for take-away from restaurants may (or may not) be healthy. Frozen prepared meals from the supermarket are not. Once in a while they may be fine. As a steady diet... not so much.

Agree 100%. When I was rich and lived in the UK as a single man my shopping consisted of a weeks worth of delicious ready meals from Marks and Spencers. This probably contributed in a big way to my diabetes which is now in remission after 2 years of keto. No sugar, low carb, healthy fats now down 20 kg.

Actually this Chinese virus has spurred me on to the last lap as my weight has started to drop with less shopping (less shops!), less eating, and no alcohol for a month now. Almost 5 Kg more in the last 4 weeks. 5 Kg to go.

23 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Freezing doesn't stop food from eventually going off, it just slows it down, something a lot of people forget.  Food left in a freezer too long will inevitably deteriorate. I have a minimal amount kept in mine and nothing over 6 months old.  

Keep food for 6 months, you are lucky.

My BIL can smell frozen food, I fill the freezer, he shows up, along with assorted other hangers on

• Like 1