Although I feel deep empathy for those impacted by economic hardship...Still..It's Peaceful in Chiang Mai

JohnBarleycorn

I like the peace and quiet too.  No more karaoke wailing from the nearby bars, less traffic noise on the main road, etc.  Only problem is I've got the builders in next door drilling and hammering all day so come sunrise my peace gets shattered.

man i feel so bad for those poor people suffering from all of this but f*** em chaing mai is quiet and I love it.

didn't we learn anything from the old world ? sigh.

Edited by mr mr
  • Sad 1

Chiang Mai will be one of the biggest casualties from the effects of the virus and the now 4 month a year smog. Thousands will be out of work,no money and desperate. I for one would like to see the hustle and bustle returning as soon as possible.

How many people chose Chiangmai to live when it did not have the life squeezed out of it? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, mr mr said:

didn't we learn anything from the old world ? sigh.

Yes I did. Which is why I'm very glad that I chose the village life for my retirement years. My life here has hardly been affected at all by Covid and it's always quiet. Another bonus is the that we have clean air year round.

Enjoy it whilst you can. ????

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Yes I did. Which is why I'm very glad that I chose the village life for my retirement years. My life here has hardly been affected at all by Covid and it's always quiet. Another bonus is the that we have clean air year round.

Where, exactly?  Please.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnBarleycorn said:
2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

1 hour ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

Where, exactly?  Please.

Not sure I'd should tell you in case we get invaded. ????

Actually we're about 20kms to the east of Sakon Nakhon.

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

https://www.iqair.com/th-en/thailand/sakon-nakhon

Not exactly healthy?

Love the quietness if no pollution would be best place on the planet. Me 24 kms out of city by road.

Not much difference except now I learning many cooking and brewing skills instead of going out to restaurants  3 to 4 times a week.

Wife also learning many more western dishes to please my appetite. 

????????????

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Don't bother yourself. It's been tried before. That is not an actual reading. The asterisk indicates that the reading is the result of computerized modeling. There are no monitors in this area, the nearest one being Khon Kaen. And as that's a city reading, it has no bearing on us over 100kms away.

I walk and exercise outdoors every day and I would soon be aware if the air was not acceptable. And that very rarely happens.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, trevoromgh said:

I like the peace and quiet too.  No more karaoke wailing from the nearby bars, less traffic noise on the main road, etc.  Only problem is I've got the builders in next door drilling and hammering all day so come sunrise my peace gets shattered.

In my mooban, I can't hear those daily loud speakers from bars anymore.

Thai people just love to blast their music speakers out loud when Buddha said Buddhists should be less greedy of sense gratification.

20 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Don't bother yourself. It's been tried before. That is not an actual reading. The asterisk indicates that the reading is the result of computerized modeling. There are no monitors in this area, the nearest one being Khon Kaen. And as that's a city reading, it has no bearing on us over 100kms away.

I walk and exercise outdoors every day and I would soon be aware if the air was not acceptable. And that very rarely happens.

I bow to your superior knowledge and your obviously acute body monitor.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thailand said:

I bow to your superior knowledge and your obviously acute body monitor.

My 'acute body monitor' is simply my nose actually. When you live in a region where the air is consistently pollution free, it becomes more sensitive. I notice the difference between our country air and that of Sakon Nakhon just 20kms away and I was in Udon Thani a few months ago and there it was truly dreadful!

Enjoy your day.

On 4/18/2020 at 7:17 AM, prism said:

I wouldn't mind putting up with some additional traffic 

Are you crazy?

The best thing about this virus (in my opinion) is the noticeable reduction in traffic. I feel much safer on the road now.

On 4/18/2020 at 10:51 AM, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

Not much difference except now I learning many cooking and brewing skills instead of going out to restaurants  3 to 4 times a week.

I thought it was illegal to make your own alcohol? ......  or are you talking about brewing a pot of tea? ????

I wonder if it's gonna last this peace.. the economic damage is done and can't be reversed, no matter what happens with corona. People are broke and unemployed, and they won't get their jobs back and they won't be out spending money which means that businesses will keep going out of business which means more unemployed etc you get the picture.. how long before the riots / protests start?

I just love the curfew.....no more of these a$$h0les with no exhausts burins up the nice flat even rod that I live on. Sadly it's perfect for racing and the police will do nothing about it. So for me make the curfew forever (it's saved countless lives already) but extend it to 8pm until 6pm please. Same goes for alcohol sales...total ban....it saves thousands of lives.

As for the lockdown....what lock down? We have an odd business shut down but most are open even if doing less trade. 

What amazes me is all the wingers.....why didn't you save some of those profits you made for a rainy day????

Unfortunately, CM has evolved into a big city with big city problems...

with the severe air pollution and it is severe, it has evolved into at most 6 month living place  (june - Nov) for ex-pats...

statistically speaking, it it a horrible place to live from Nov thru May...I know people will try to minimize the AP but you really can’t....there is no gov master plan to resolve it...so it will continue year after year...

In the last 2 months, CM has has 40 days greater than 150 PM 2.5...

you want a comparison, the city of Los Angeles (historically known for AP in the 60-80s) has had one day over 150 in the last 4 years....

CM AP is a far greater health threat and problem than the current virus or any other health issue you want to raise....

CM and the north have a national crisis that the gov can’t or won’t deal with...

Edited by cardinalblue