Number of COVID-19 cases in Thailand continue to decline

webfact

6 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Way too soon. For now, saving lives has to precede saving the economy. 

Agree but fair reporting would help determine the true extent of the affect the pandemic is having in the country . If you do not test many people you do not get many positive results . No one would trust the statistics being published , unless you are very nieve .. I for one , wouldn’t go back to Thailand Any time soon even if they opened the air routes again. Simply cannot trust the current government to tell the truth . 
it cost me a fortune to get out of there in a hurry last month . I do not wish to repeat that experience again. 

Edited by terryofcrete

28 minutes ago, Eibot said:

Data from France and Belgium do include death at home and in home cares. They have estimated that if they include people at home/home cares, they numbers of deaths goes up by roughly 25%.

Meaning if 10000 people have died quietly at home, roughly 40 000 people would have died in a medical environment, or at least sought treatment and there cases were severe enough to die from them.  

The point is, people have died but I don't think that much. Of course, since it spreads linear here the big influx in the hospitals will never really show. So it could be that people are dying steadily over a more spread out time frame. 

Either way, it's not problematic. Unless you are of course in a risk group. But then you also have the risk of Dengue, TB, Malaria to be careful for.

To make that comparison between France and Belgium and Thailand, you'd need for the general percentage of people who die at home compared to those who die in the hospital to be similar. It varies a lot between countries.

Thailand is safe for now but if it open up the country to more foreigners , the number may surge again.

Singapore, Indonesia, Philippines, Malaysia have all exceeded the number of cases in Thailand by at least two fold. Indonesian cases may become the worse affected in coming months.

Good job, Thailand!

Vietnam is the best so far with just 268 cases with it being so near China is unbelievable.

Edited by EricTh

32 minutes ago, offset said:

It was quoted on the TV by the CCSA spokesman in there Midday Broadcast with all the other figures that you see now

Ah-ha, yet another agency... can't find a website or anything else. I don't watch TV. If somebody has a pointer to the internetz, please share.

EDIT: Thai Enquirer points to "Government":

https://www.thaienquirer.com/11914/thailand-finds-27-new-cases-of-coronavirus-singapore-now-largest-outbreak-site-in-asean/

According to the government, Thailand has conducted 142,589 samples. That equates to roughly 1,400 tests per 1 million people. This can be compared to 16,203 tests per 1 million people in Singapore and the 3,000 tests per 1 million in Malaysia.

I'd like to know the source with a valid link to the data and breakdown of tests in private/government hospitals. The test count jumped 50k when they included private hospital tests, but those will not be Confirmed cases because they need two reference lab confirmations.

Edited by DrTuner
typo
  • Like 1

While poking around (broadly) to try to figure out why the numbers are so low here, I saw this...

"Africa — where lifesaving equipment like ventilators, oxygen and masks, and even basic necessities like water and soap, are in short supply — could become the next epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic, the World Health Organization has warned."

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/africa-coronavirus-ventilators-millions-death_n_5e9c150dc5b635d25d6de445

But, isn't it hot in Africa like Thailand? Why aren't scientists modeling Africa based on what's happening here and predicting very few deaths? Is it because they don't eat somtam in Africa?

6 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

That's excellent news.  I expect the country will start getting back to abnormal soon.  Having all the little rodents home from school on weekendS is bad enough but for months at a time.......... ????

Not sure, if you look the news today, all I see is a big uniform mil meeting ... feels like a time warp backwards.

4 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Ah-ha, yet another agency... can't find a website or anything else. I don't watch TV. If somebody has a pointer to the internetz, please share.

I am not sure why people like you bother with all this you not trust anything anybody says you not believe anything you not like to hear why do you look on here

The CCSA is the spokesmen for the Covid agencies and are seen with meetings with the Prime minister and they give all the facts and figures you see on the internet and in the papers 

3 minutes ago, offset said:

I am not sure why people like you bother with all this you not trust anything anybody says you not believe anything you not like to hear why do you look on here

The CCSA is the spokesmen for the Covid agencies and are seen with meetings with the Prime minister and they give all the facts and figures you see on the internet and in the papers 

I googled it. Try 'Taweesilp slammed as 'govt lackey'' in Bangkok Post. I was wondering why they'd do another one when MoPH already exists.

And yes I sure as <deleted> will not trust the usurpers, ever. Everything needs to be independently verified.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Of course, it is all bullsh*t what the government try to tell us.

There is no flu in this country like the western country's

So, then you can talk you are proud to keep the infections low because curfew. But with or without curfew there is not any different in infections.

Of course you can drive the population as crazy as you want.

6 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I googled it. Try 'Taweesilp slammed as 'govt lackey'' in Bangkok Post. I was wondering why they'd do another one when MoPH already exists.

And yes I sure as <deleted> will not trust the usurpers, ever. Everything needs to be independently verified.

But you conveniently did not say it was quoted by anti government elements 

15 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Thailand is safe for now but if it open up the country to more foreigners , the number may surge again.

Singapore, Indonesia, Philippines, Malaysia have all exceeded the number of cases in Thailand by at least two fold. Indonesian cases may become the worse affected in coming months.

Good job, Thailand!

Vietnam is the best so far with just 268 cases with it being so near China is unbelievable.

Lao report 19, Cambodia 122. No deaths in either. They must be unbelievable. Myanmar 111 cases - unbelievable. Mongolia 33 cases - unbelievable.

Unbelievably, all these countries also border China and they have fewer cases than your 'best so far'.  Now, is there anything you do believe?

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

While poking around (broadly) to try to figure out why the numbers are so low here, I saw this...

"Africa — where lifesaving equipment like ventilators, oxygen and masks, and even basic necessities like water and soap, are in short supply — could become the next epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic, the World Health Organization has warned."

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/africa-coronavirus-ventilators-millions-death_n_5e9c150dc5b635d25d6de445

But, isn't it hot in Africa like Thailand? Why aren't scientists modeling Africa based on what's happening here and predicting very few deaths? Is it because they don't eat somtam in Africa?

Its hot in Brazil and Ecuador too but they seem to be having severe problems.

6 minutes ago, offset said:

But you conveniently did not say it was quoted by anti government elements 

I thought that was implied, but I'd be really happy for pro-government elements to call one of their own a lackey.

23 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Dr. Taweesin Visanuyothin is the spokesperson for the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA).

DrTuner is the spokesperson for DrTuner.

39 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

To make that comparison between France and Belgium and Thailand, you'd need for the general percentage of people who die at home compared to those who die in the hospital to be similar. It varies a lot between countries.

For an exact comparison yes, but not for a rough one.

Thailand is a country with a good health care system. The difference will not be that big.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

Scientist will never do this unless there 1000000% certain. You don't want complementary during this period. You will have to prepare for the worst. It still spreads, but just not as much.

10 minutes ago, DrTuner said:
11 minutes ago, SkyFax said:

Dr. Taweesin Visanuyothin is the spokesperson for the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA).

DrTuner is the spokesperson for DrTuner.

I know which one I trust.

Yes and your analysis and predictions carry as much import as if they were in the Farang Pub Forum.

7 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Millions around the world are not so lucky and are at the limit already.. 

We had to close our restaurant and lay off 6 staff, so that's 6 families without a wage earner !!! You tell them it's way too soon... 

Better dead than fed??? It's way too <f>ing soon.

4 hours ago, rott said:

Just the sort of comment that has them nodding sagely in the students union bar. 

For the rest of us can you please explain how long a business can go on paying wages when it is no longer trading. 

Depends how solvent it was and how necessary it was to retain those staff. 

Fair play to Cornish Carlos for stumping up the wages for March. 

8 minutes ago, DrTuner said:
11 minutes ago, SkyFax said:

Yes and your analysis and predictions carry as much import as if they were in the Farang Pub Forum.

At least I try to do analysis. Tad hard without any data being made available to the public.

Personally I stay out of the numbers game. I just remember your prediction in mid-FEB that in 2 weeks there will (maybe) be "panic spreading out at the point where the hospitals are overrun".

You seemed to have enough data for that.

5 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

Singaporean health officials this afternoon reported a huge surge in newly detected coronavirus infections. 1,426 newly reported cases.

The debunks the heat theory!

How many deaths in Singapore? 11. Somewhat different to the tens of thousands of deaths in several other countries.

If you want to debunk the heat theory, tell us which hot countries have had large numbers of deaths?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

11 minutes ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Better dead than fed??? It's way too <f>ing soon.

How about we give this  a rest for a while and do the (after) math when this is "over" as the programmed death of an agonising economy, although shyly showing now, might be more devastating than some of us seem to think.

Not saying more devastating than the virus, or am I...

9 minutes ago, SkyFax said:

Personally I stay out of the numbers game. I just remember your prediction in mid-FEB that in 2 weeks there will (maybe) be "panic spreading out at the point where the hospitals are overrun".

You seemed to have enough data for that.

That's just basic psychology.

It didn't happen in the scale it did in Italy. My current going theory is, covid-19 is widely spread and asymptomatic in Thailand, for reasons that should be researched and verified by mass antibody testing. No way did they manage to escape the spread of the virus, not with the influx of Chinese in the early days. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Its hot in Brazil and Ecuador too but they seem to be having severe problems.

Brazil have 12 deaths per million population.

Ecuador have 27 deaths per million population.

In comparison, Spain have 446 deaths per million, the US have 123 dpm, the UK have 237 dpm.

8 minutes ago, nkg said:

If you want to debunk the heat theory, tell us which hot countries have had large numbers of deaths?

Indonesia: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-indonesia-funerals/exclusive-jump-in-jakarta-funerals-raises-fears-of-unreported-coronavirus-deaths-idUSKBN21L2XU

The vital data that could show something similar in Thailand is not available to the public, it seems to be behind an intranet login at MoPH.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Indonesia: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-indonesia-funerals/exclusive-jump-in-jakarta-funerals-raises-fears-of-unreported-coronavirus-deaths-idUSKBN21L2XU

The vital data that could show something similar in Thailand is not available to the public, it seems to be behind an intranet login at MoPH.

The article says that burials have gone up from 3100 in March 2019 to 4400 in March 2020. That's not a huge increase even if every extra death was covid-related.

Indonesia have reported 2 deaths per million, lower than every European country. Even if it was 10 times that, it would still be low compared to Europe.

You can't claim "every hot country is fixing their numbers".

Edited by nkg
covid