Mobile operators offer 100 free minutes for local voice calls

snoop1130

Mobile operators offer 100 free minutes for local voice calls

By THE NATION

800_9b35f8ea92bb7ed.jpg

In a bid to ease the financial pressure brought on by the Covid-19 outbreak, all mobile phone operators are offering both postpaid and prepaid subscribers 100 minutes free for phone calls to any local landline or local cell number over and above the free minutes granted under their existing packages.

This package is being granted under a collaboration between the government, the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) and five telecom operators.

Subscribers can apply for this free 100-minute voice call offer from May 1 to 15 by dialling *170*, followed by their identity card number, press # and call out. The free minutes kick in as soon as an SMS is received for confirmation and are valid for 45 days.

Each network allows one freebie per subscriber. Juristic entities are not eligible. The five operators are Advanced Info Service, True Corp, Total Access Communication, TOT and CAT Telecom. The NBTC also recently sponsored free 10-gigabytes of mobile data for 30 days, which can be applied for from April 10 to 30.

How Lih Ren, chief marketing officer at dtac, said his company was glad it was able to ease the financial burden on people affected by the Covid-19 outbreak. He said his firm was also lowering the current price plans and has boosted the value of both prepaid and postpaid packages to benefit everybody, from students to small business owners, families or persons working from home.

"Our teams are also working 24/7 to boost the network capacity by three times nationwide, with a focus on high-traffic areas such as hospitals and residential areas, as many people are now working from home. At Dtac, our promise to connect customers to what matters most is more critical than ever."

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30386427

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-20

16 minutes ago, bangkokfrog said:

Well done for a change. The only downside is that the wife may suddenly get lots more calls from the village asking if she can help with a few baht.

Apparently only if it's "local"

Op says "for phone calls to any local landline or local cell number "  

Though possibly by "local cell" they mean in Thailand.

AFAIK if you have a Thai cell (mobile) phone the calls cell to cell are the same wherever the 2 parties are as long as they're both in Thailand.

Correct?

46 minutes ago, VBF said:

Apparently only if it's "local"

Op says "for phone calls to any local landline or local cell number "  

Though possibly by "local cell" they mean in Thailand.

AFAIK if you have a Thai cell (mobile) phone the calls cell to cell are the same wherever the 2 parties are as long as they're both in Thailand.

Correct?

My understanding also. ????

Edited by bangkokfrog
  • Thanks 1

In theory, the providers database should match the telephone SIMM number to the ID card number given when the SIMM was purchased. Non-Thai subscribers should also get this but I doubt the provider's system will be set up for alternate ID numbers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

In theory, the providers database should match the telephone SIMM number to the ID card number given when the SIMM was purchased. Non-Thai subscribers should also get this but I doubt the provider's system will be set up for alternate ID numbers.

For foreigners we all have to give passport numbers (I know I did to AIS) and different countries have different formats for these.

This may well be a problem for DB designers - I shan't elaborate as it's fairly techie and boring to most..

However, in my earlier post I was thinking that if the calling number is located in Thailand (ie not roaming) then that should trigger the free call.

EG in UK, if I call a UK mobile from MY UK mobile and the called party is outside UK, I still pay the UK rate, not the roaming rate.

After all, the caller doesn't actually know where the recipient is located. 

9 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

It certainly didn't appear to be for the free 10-gigabytes of mobile data recently made available.