Los Angeles streets - a pathetic situation

ravip

Until recently I didn't know what Skid Row is. Heard it here and there in song text or so.

Then I saw a documentary about it and learned that I haven't seen it all (seen some of the worst neighborhoods in Frankfurt and Berlin, Germany).

• Like 1

We were tooling down I-5 last year & going through Sacramento my wife pointed to wall to wall tents close to the freeway and said, "look - campers".....

I didn't correct or inform her about what she'd really seen....

The problem has been festering for a long time.....

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Reminds of what American Presidents say which make me cringe " God Bless America".

Individual states are responsible for the well being  of their people in each state! How many billions needs to be thrown at this by the federals,state, local governments  and private enterprise!

Why are they homeless,many reasons ,drugs,alcohol dependency, lack of jobs ,mental disease . 

I was homeless for 2 years to embarrassed and to proud to ask for help, in between jobs!

https://crosscut.com/2019/10/whose-responsibility-homelessness-crisis

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Reminds of what American Presidents say which make me cringe " God Bless America".

Or...……………..Make America Great Again! Tell us Don de don don, is it working?

Trump-MAGA-e1557491409260.jpg

Edited by PatOngo
  • Like 1

Think it's impossible to sort this in our monetary society no matter how rich a given state. He could have at least gone in the plant pot, but!

Trillions of $$$ are spent on weapons and other high handed activities, just so that a country could occupy a certain 'status' in the world community

Emphasis of a certain niche of society remaining on-high...

1 hour ago, PatOngo said:

Or...……………..Make America Great Again! Tell us Don de don don, is it working?

Trump-MAGA-e1557491409260.jpg

I can remember sunset blvd near the hollywood walk of fame  back before this POTUS was in office. Oh, those dirty side streets off of them with there sleeping bags , trash,drunks laying around during mid day!

Looks like your from the twilight zone,At least thats what your avitar says. 

Your hatred for my POTUS is showing! Sad! Your boogiman has nothing to do with the states  and local government and how they run their government! But if he did there wouldn't be any sanctuary cities,for sure. 

The Presidents administration specifically HUD has initiated opportunity zones in the inner cities that help the homeless and disadvantage!

Edited by riclag
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Until recently I didn't know what Skid Row is

The original meaning has changed a lot. It is a reference to a particular place that certain cities had.

The term "skid row" or "skid road," referring to an area of a city  where people lived.  Loggers would transport their logs to a nearby river by sliding them down roads made from greased skids. These were NOT good areas of town and so the term,, a slang term was created.

Obviously Los Angeles would never have had a skid road. Portland, Seattle, Vancouver BC ; now they would have.

• Thanks 2

"The World Health Organization, or WHO, recommends at least one toilet for every twenty people in populated areas like Los Angeles. But most of the city’s hundreds of encampments are nowhere near a public toilet".

The city is trying to discourage people from living in the streets ,putting portapotties  would encourage it.

1 hour ago, CharlieK said:

I would suggest that America is just that to most Americans. A Third world country with a first world economy. 

So, you have spent considerable time traveling across the vast nation. Meeting "most Americans". Looking at the issues of LA, SF, NY, or any major city, and considering that America, is like heading down to the slums of Klong Toei and considering that Thailand.

• Like 2