Automatic extension - confusing email from U.S. embassy

I got this email today from the U.S. embassy in Bangkok about the 2nd automatic extension... it leaves me more confused than ever:

"On April 21, the Royal Thai Government approved automatic visa extensions for foreign nationals whose visas expire between 30 April 2020 and 31 July 2020.  Visas will be extended automatically until 31 July 2020.  The measure applies to all "non-O" visa types including visa exemption (i.e. tourists who entered and received a 30-day visa) and visas-on-arrival.  If you have a valid visa, you do not need to visit an immigration office in order to benefit from the automatic visa extension." (I added the bold print.)

They said it applies to non-O visas. Others in TV has said it does NOT apply to non-O visa.  Or did US Embassy mean to put a double-negative, i.e. "The measure applies to all non-non-O visa types"? (meaning, everything except non-O.)

Everlasting confusion. At any rate, I extended my non-O yesterday and will get the results on 18 May.  So either way I'm covered, but if what the embassy says is true I would have been better to not extend at all. 

It applies to all visas, including non-o, i guess they wanted to write:

"The measure applies to all visa types including visa exemption (i.e. tourists who entered and received a 30-day visa) and visas-on-arrival."

I think they meant non immigrant visas.

Embassy staff may not be all that familiar with all visa categories.

All types of visas and visa exempt entities are included.

I think you are confusing extensions of stay with non-o visas.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think you are confusing extensions of stay with non-o visas.

Probably so. So in your interpretation, a Non-O visa issued in my home country would be included in the newest Thai automatic extension policy.  But a non-O extension of stay obtained in-country is NOT covered by this policy?  Geez, I wish they would use different terminology for these things... lumping it all into "non-O" when such different rules apply is so confusing. 

16 minutes ago, USNret said:

Probably so. So in your interpretation, a Non-O visa issued in my home country would be included in the newest Thai automatic extension policy.  But a non-O extension of stay obtained in-country is NOT covered by this policy?  Geez, I wish they would use different terminology for these things... lumping it all into "non-O" when such different rules apply is so confusing. 

Not just a non-o visa are included in the exemption. All categories of non immigrant visas are included.

In some cases extensions of stay are covered under the ministerial order. If you could not apply for the extension for some reason then you could stay until July 31st. Not applying for an extension unless you have a valid reason for not doing it is not advisable.

• Like 1

OP, you mention that you have your 12 month extension in the pipeline.

You also mention that you would have been better off not to obtain extension. 

What's behind that thinking? Milk few extra months for few baht? Hells bells annual extension is 1900baht. Also the closer it gets to July 31 then imm office will be crazy. Reports now that even CW ghost town. I so wish my annual extension due now.

• Like 1

So, here we go again, sorry. 

I came in in January on the last few days validity of my non O multiple entry based on marriage. So that visa is well expired now. .Got 90 days permission when I came in expiring 10 April. Couldn't get over to Savanakhet for new visa as borders closed both sides. Went to local IO and got 60 day extension expiring 9 June.

Am I covered by this amnesty until 31 July or must I leave ( if I can!) on 9 June? 

I am not in a position to apply for a 1 year extension on or before 9 June with  seasoned money in the bank, and proving monthly payments coming from abroad is likely to be tricky, due to the method I have been using with Bangkok Bank simply showing as "auto" and sending varying amounts   and certainly not a whole year as I don't send that much monthly when I'm not here.

I entered on 30 Jan 2020, extended till 29 March, got British embassy letter, under consideration stamp till 16 April and extension to 28 April. I was told to go back on 28 April with a new letter from embassy if i needed to stay longer. Now I am confused bcos Brit embassy say they are no longer doing the lettters and read on here automatic extensions only cover the 30 April to 31 July. What do I do? Anyone in same situation? Advice Joe?

Thanks Joe,

just noticed immigration didnt give me the first stamp to April 30 as per the first ministerial order. So thats why my stamps are out of sync with the new order.

" following announcement on 8 April 2020 by the ministry of interior British nationals who hold visas on or after 26 March 2020 will be granted automatic extension until 30 April 2020"

38 minutes ago, Freespirit said:

just noticed immigration didnt give me the first stamp to April 30 as per the first ministerial order. So thats why my stamps are out of sync with the new order.

You don't need a stamp for the automatic extension. You got the correct stamp for the extension you applied for prior to April 7th.

No need to go back to immigration for anything. You can stay until July 31st now.

11 minutes ago, Freespirit said:

Mmm thats the other thought just worried I will have to pay  overstay if its wrong? Bcos my current stamp expires 28 April and new amnesty runs 30 April to 31 July.

It is a extension of the first amnesty that was done on April 7th to July 31st. No changes done to the first one.