Work Permit Expires, Can’t get into Thailand as no flights

Hi guys! I stupidly went to Sri Lanka on 10 March thinking Covid would be over fairly quickly. My work permit expires on 14 May 2020, as does my non-B visa. I’m a teacher in Bangkok, currently stranded in Sri Lanka with no  flights likely until after my w/p expires. I’d really like to avoid going through the hassle of making a new work permit! Any advice guys?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My understanding is that all visas and permits have been extended until 31 st July 2020 ,if I was you I would contact immigration in your place of work permit issue and tell them the facts .

i think they will be accomadating to your situation

regards

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is only for people that are in Thailand now.

He will have to start all over again if he returns after May 14th.

Thanks UbonJoe. I was hoping for a bit of compassion from the powers that be, after working in Thailand for a few years. I’m not feeling much compassion right now...Why discriminate against people not in Thailand right now? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, robbioff said:

Thanks UbonJoe. I was hoping for a bit of compassion from the powers that be, after working in Thailand for a few years. I’m not feeling much compassion right now...Why discriminate against people not in Thailand right now? 

What do you actually expect regarding compassion. I mean in practical terms. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, robbioff said:

Screenshot_20200425_155226_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Confused 1

In regard to the WP I am in the same situation - it will expire 17th of May, however my B visa will expire end of July. 

My secretary went to the labour department yesterday to discuss this matter and was told, that it is no problem to extend the WP which she will do next week.

About the B visa, I am positive that the airport will open in time so I can go back and arrange the extension.

Good luck to you.

On 4/24/2020 at 5:33 PM, robbioff said:

That's Thai immigration for you, never were the most compassionate of people.

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

I wonder if Immigration the world over are ever compassionate?  Say what you like about Thai Immigration it's not sunk to depths that UKVI and the Home Office has.  The Windrush scandal rumbles on, and there are daily reports of families being devastated by the inflexibility and lack of compassion shown by the Tories' "hostile environment".

15 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I wonder if Immigration the world over are ever compassionate?  Say what you like about Thai Immigration it's not sunk to depths that UKVI and the Home Office has.  The Windrush scandal rumbles on, and there are daily reports of families being devastated by the inflexibility and lack of compassion shown by the Tories' "hostile environment".

What's the Windrush scandal?  I have never heard of it.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Why would immigration show compassion when someone is leaving the country where he's working and goes to Sri Lanka during a coronavirus outbreak? You didn't think about that,did you? Stop complaining about immigration. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There are many other people in the same situation as you and that includes their families.

Maybe they will do something later to help them but is not something they considered when they wrote the ministerial notice. Its intent is to reduce the high number of people needing to extend their stay at immigration offices due to not being able to leave the country.

Many other people! I know a teacher in Chiang Mai who cancelled his work permit, because he has another job lined up and went home. For another reason to see aging parents. Now stuck abroad with all his possessions in a rented house he can't return to. He has been in Thailand 10 years!

21 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Many other people! I know a teacher in Chiang Mai who cancelled his work permit, because he has another job lined up and went home. For another reason to see aging parents. Now stuck abroad with all his possessions in a rented house he can't return to. He has been in Thailand 10 years!

And both my sons in Oz virtually started new very positive careers in very different directions. Both now out of work with zero support. I'm sending money each week. Lucky I can. 

I'm currently on Thai island and see first hand weeks back a LOT of workers given marching orders. 

What you looking for? Sympathy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Why would immigration show compassion when someone is leaving the country where he's working and goes to Sri Lanka during a coronavirus outbreak? You didn't think about that,did you? Stop complaining about immigration. 

If Thai immigration treated you like they treated me in the past, I would bet you would be complaining. so no, I will not stop complaining about them, nor am I frightened to tell them to their face when they have done me wrong.

On 4/24/2020 at 5:53 AM, Cattleman said:

My understanding is that all visas and permits have been extended until 31 st July 2020 ,if I was you I would contact immigration in your place of work permit issue and tell them the facts .

i think they will be accomadating to your situation

regards

Thai govt accommodating..????

On 4/24/2020 at 5:10 PM, ubonjoe said:

That is only for people that are in Thailand now.

He will have to start all over again if he returns after May 14th.

I think Thailand will choose to open flights to a few low-risk countries for the time-being. Not sure whether Sri Lanka will be included in the list.