Hospital hails recovery of ‘surprise’ coronavirus patient

snoop1130

Hospital hails recovery of ‘surprise’ coronavirus patient

By The Nation

800_1ea44d34a96e41d.jpg

A Kanchanaburi hospital that rescued a female Covid-19 sufferer despite not being ready to treat coronavirus cases yesterday held a ceremony to mark her recovery.

Staff at Pahonpol Payuha Sena Hospital on Friday (March 24) bid farewell to the unnamed 56-year-old patient as she was discharged after making a full recovery.

The woman, sitting in a wheelchair, was greeted by several medical personnel before leaving the hospital with her Finnish husband.

Doctors said she had arrived at the hospital in a severe condition weeks ago after contracting Covid-19. Since the hospital was not prepared to treat pandemic patients at that time, they struggled to treat her.

However, thanks to the tireless efforts of its staff and medics, the patient had now recovered and was ready to go home.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30386715

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-24

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Since the hospital was not prepared to treat pandemic patients at that time, they struggled to treat her.

The treatment they offer is essentially limited to oxygen and bed rest, anything else is experimental and probably or even almost certainly does literally nothing to affect the outcome.

The consensus between Thais I know seems to be that everyone who gets COVID needs to go to the ICU immediately and without fail for the treatment that doesn't exist. All they can do is pump oxygen into your lungs to keep you alive if you become very ill, whether you live or die all comes down to your own immune system.

Why would it come as a surprise to get a patient with COVID during a time of pandemic?

14 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

sounds like she would have recovered anyway

Of course she would have, nearly everyone who gets this recovers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

The treatment they offer is essentially limited to oxygen and bed rest, anything else is experimental and probably or even almost certainly does literally nothing to affect the outcome.

The consensus between Thais I know seems to be that everyone who gets COVID needs to go to the ICU immediately and without fail for the treatment that doesn't exist. All they can do is pump oxygen into your lungs to keep you alive if you become very ill, whether you live or die all comes down to your own immune system.

Why would it come as a surprise to get a patient with COVID during a time of pandemic?

Of course she would have, nearly everyone who gets this recovers.

As I understand it the treatment recommended for flu is bed rest, fluids, and temperature mitigation (If needed). COVID-19 additionally requires oxygen because of the risk of pneumonia - fortunately hospitals have ready access to Oxygen administering equipment. This being said I find it difficult to understand why this hospital would've been ill equipped to deal with COVID-19 given that the only difference between treatment for that disease and treatment for flu appears to be the administration of oxygen. I suspect another Thai self-aggrandisement beat-up, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Edited by ParkerN

21 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

This "pumping oxygen" is a great deal more complex than you realize and very staff intensive, requiring specially trained personnel, constant monitoring etc

If mechanical ventilation becomes necessary, the patient must be put into  medically induce coma which in itself then requires a wide range of very intensive nursing and medical measure to sustain life and avoid complications due to being inert and unconscious (corneal abrasions, bedsores, atelectasis etc to name a few...and then there is the necessary nutritional support (parenteral feeding) and constant suctioning and airway management,. It is one of the most difficult, labor intensive and technically demanding things one can do in a hospital. I know firsthand as I have done it. 

It would actually be easier and less demanding of staff and expertise to administer a cure if there were one than to provide the support a patient needs to battle this if severely ill.

Thanks, that gives a great insight to what has to be done.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ukrules said:

All they can do is pump oxygen into your lungs to keep you alive if you become very ill, whether you live or die all comes down to your own immune system.

sums up the situation no matter what country atm