Lazada laptops

solomon david

4 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

Forget about RAM, as long as you have at least 4 GB. An SSD is what you need.

What's the full model number of your machine?

aspire a515-51g, the memory upgrade route would be 16 gb and see

if anyone wants to pay anything for the 4 gb i got

Edited by brokenbone

3 hours ago, brokenbone said:

aspire a515-51g, the memory upgrade route would be 16 gb and see

if anyone wants to pay anything for the 4 gb i got

You are not listening(not unusual for this board). Forget about RAM, you need a solid state drive.

Upgrading RAM was the option before SSD were ubiquitous.

Now first step should be SSD, second step, RAM.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/537125/install-m2-ssd-on-aspire-5-a515-51g/p1

NVMe PCIe SSD.

You'll be very impressed with the difference from the standard very slow HDD you have currently installed.

If you cannot be bothered to remove the bottom cover, just fit a 2.5" SATA SSD in the dedicated slot. Will be just as fast as the NVMe PCIe SSD under most circumstances.

Edited by Bruno123

1 hour ago, Bruno123 said:

You are not listening(not unusual for this board). Forget about RAM, you need a solid state drive.

Upgrading RAM was the option before SSD were ubiquitous.

Now first step should be SSD, second step, RAM.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/537125/install-m2-ssd-on-aspire-5-a515-51g/p1

NVMe PCIe SSD.

You'll be very impressed with the difference from the standard very slow HDD you have currently installed.

If you cannot be bothered to remove the bottom cover, just fit a 2.5" SATA SSD in the dedicated slot. Will be just as fast as the NVMe PCIe SSD under most circumstances.

i am confused ? it used to be that a ssd was a physical drive and then added

the same amount of ram attached to the drive so that once it was booted up,

it was a fast duplicate that was the source.

this looks like just an interface working as the swap file, clever i admit, and whopping cheap at <3000 bht

my internal drive is 1 tb, is it still compatible with a 250 gb ssd interface ?

also what product is the 2'5 sata ssd and where is that dedicated slot ?

Edited by brokenbone

2 hours ago, brokenbone said:

i am confused ? it used to be that a ssd was a physical drive and then added

the same amount of ram attached to the drive so that once it was booted up,

it was a fast duplicate that was the source.

Huh?

this looks like just an interface working as the swap file, clever i admit, and whopping cheap at <3000 bht

my internal drive is 1 tb, is it still compatible with a 250 gb ssd interface ?

also what product is the 2'5 sata ssd and where is that dedicated slot ?

Your laptop can accept two storage drives at the same time. Currently, it has a 2.5" 5400 RPM HDD. The slowest possible option. 

If you click through the link that I supplied, you can see where the 2.5" HDD sits. In the pic it is already empty. You do not have to remove the whole back cover to gain access to the 2.5"HDD. 

So the swap from a 2.5" HDD to a 2.5" SSD can be done fairly swiftly. Perhaps 5 minutes. The capacity of the replacement is up to you. You don't need to replace with a drive of the same capacity.

A clean install of Windows 10 to the aforementioned SSD will eliminate all of your current issues. 

Alternatively, you can leave your original HDD in place, but remove the bottom cover(seventeen screws) in order to fit an additional storage drive, an NVMe SSD. Up to 256 GB I guess. Super fast. That way you'll have Window 10 on the new NVMe drive for day to day usage. Keeping the internal 1 TB HDD for storage of larger files should as your video collection. 

https://www.advice.co.th/product/solid-state-drive-ssd-/ssd-m-2-pcie-nvme-256-gb/256-gb-ssd-m-2-pcie-adata-sx8200-pro-asx8200pnp-256gt-c-nvme

Edited by Bruno123

A couple of examples of 2.5" SSD;

https://www.advice.co.th/product/solid-state-drive-ssd-/ssd-sata-2-5-256-gb/250-gb-ssd-sata-wd-blue-wds250g2b0a-3d-nand

https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/solid-state-drives-ssd/crucial/mx500-250gb-2-5inch-internal-ssd-ct250mx500ssd1-p034803/

Remember, your laptop can accept both at the same time. Which you choose will depend on whether you prefer to use the easy dedicated hatch for 2.5" drives or open her up to fit an M.2 2280 form NVMe SSD.

Either will suffice for your needs.

Do check, via Task Manager, that your CPU is performing as it should.

Even with an old HDD, your laptop's performance should not be that bad.

Edited by Bruno123

39 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Huh?

Your laptop can accept two storage drives at the same time. Currently, it has a 2.5" 5400 RPM HDD. The slowest possible option. 

If you click through the link that I supplied, you can see where the 2.5" HDD sits. In the pic it is already empty. You do not have to remove the whole back cover to gain access to the 2.5"HDD. 

So the swap from a 2.5" HDD to a 2.5" SSD can be done fairly swiftly. Perhaps 5 minutes. The capacity of the replacement is up to you. You don't need to replace with a drive of the same capacity.

A clean install of Windows 10 to the aforementioned SSD will eliminate all of your current issues. 

Alternatively, you can leave your original HDD in place, but remove the bottom cover(seventeen screws) in order to fit an additional storage drive, an NVMe SSD. Up to 256 GB I guess. Super fast. That way you'll have Window 10 on the new NVMe drive for day to day usage. Keeping the internal 1 TB HDD for storage of larger files should as your video collection. 

https://www.advice.co.th/product/solid-state-drive-ssd-/ssd-m-2-pcie-nvme-256-gb/256-gb-ssd-m-2-pcie-adata-sx8200-pro-asx8200pnp-256gt-c-nvme

the last alternative sounds terrific if there is actually a free slot at 2k baht,

i presume win10 has some inbuilt function to transfer OS to the new drive ?

but, i cant believe it can be stored in ram, how do that ssd store data long term without

an actual hdd ?

1 minute ago, brokenbone said:

the last alternative sounds terrific if there is actually a free slot at 2k baht,

i presume win10 has some inbuilt function to transfer OS to the new drive ?

but, i cant believe it can be stored in ram, how do that ssd store data long term without

an actual hdd ?

The NVMe SSD option is good, but involves you removing and replacing seventeen screws.

SATA 2.5" virtually as good if you don't want to mess around with removing the bottom cover in full.

Best to not transfer the OS and accompanying ACER Bloatware, but to simply run a clean install of Windows 10 to the newly fitted SSD.

Unlike RAM, an SSD stores your data long term. SSD is just a solid state replaced for the old magnetic spinning disk HDD. They are barely fit for purpose in this day and age. As you note, it is dragging the performance of your laptop back to the Stone Age. SSD allows your laptop to perform as it should.

Fitting an SSD will bring a far more noticeable difference than fitting more RAM. 

2 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

The NVMe SSD option is good, but involves you removing and replacing seventeen screws.

SATA 2.5" virtually as good if you don't want to mess around with removing the bottom cover in full.

Best to not transfer the OS and accompanying ACER Bloatware, but to simply run a clean install of Windows 10 to the newly fitted SSD.

Unlike RAM, an SSD stores your data long term. SSD is just a solid state replaced for the old magnetic spinning disk HDD. They are barely fit for purpose in this day and age. As you note, it is dragging the performance of your laptop back to the Stone Age. SSD allows your laptop to perform as it should.

Fitting an SSD will bring a far more noticeable difference than fitting more RAM. 

it used to be that a ssd was made up of a magnetic disk,

then equal storage of ram was glued to that disk

and when booting up the data on the magnetic disk

was duplicated to the ram glued to it, removing the need to read data from a mechanical devise,

is ssd today different ?

26 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

i cant believe it can be stored in ram, how do that ssd store data long term without

an actual hdd ?

The storage device change-over happened a long time ago, driven first by portable music players like the apple iPod going from physical hard disk to fast flash memory, and continued to grow with Smart Phones. Many premium smart phones now come with 6GB RAM, 128GB STORAGE (fast non-volitile Flash Memory).

The same Flash Memory technology is used by computer SSD storage devices, just packaged as (for now) replaceable modules. Some even emulate 2.5 SATA HDDs in pin-out and space requirements, though the faster devices are m.2 PCI modules.  

The HDDs with RAM are still a 'thing', at least Intel is still trying to make is a thing with their OPTANE memory modul3s, or HDDs with fast R/W CACHE... but those spinning disks are now old technology.

Edited by RichCor

3 minutes ago, RichCor said:

The storage device change-over happened a long time ago, driven first by portable music players like the apple iPod going from physical hard disk to fast flash memory, and continued to grow with Smart Phones. Many premium smart phones now come with 6GB RAM, 128GB STORAGE (fast non-volitile Flash Memory).

The same Flash Memory technology is used by computer SSD storage devices, just packaged as (for now) replaceable modules. Some even emulate 2.5 SATA HDDs in pin-out and socket requirements, though the faster devices are m.2 PCI modules.  

oh ! now i get it ! i havnt fiddle with puters since the days of win98,

now it finally makes full sense

1 hour ago, brokenbone said:

it used to be that a ssd was made up of a magnetic disk,

then equal storage of ram was glued to that disk

and when booting up the data on the magnetic disk

was duplicated to the ram glued to it, removing the need to read data from a mechanical devise,

is ssd today different ?

I think that you are referring to an SSHD — Solid-state hybrid drive. But there was never equal RAM storage.

I am referring to full solid state.

4 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

one final problem,this laptop came with win10, i dont have a dvd and in fact this machine dont even have dvd, so tha would mean i have to buy another win10 right ?

3 hours ago, brokenbone said:

one final problem,this laptop came with win10, i dont have a dvd and in fact this machine dont even have dvd, so tha would mean i have to buy another win10 right ?

DVD not required anymore.

You can create a bootable win 10 usb from the microsoft website.

Download the MicroSoft tool from their website, install it, install a USB on PC, run the Microsoft tool to create a bootable usb windows 10.

Check if your current installed version of windows 10 version is genuine, go to:

1) Settings, update and security, activation - It should report ''windows is activated with a digital license''

2) Settings, about, system info - It should report ''windows is activated''

3) Open CMD and copy paste ''wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey'' If you have a genuine win 10 retail version it will retrieve your windows 10 license key.

4) To check if windows 10 on the PC is genuine: 

• Step 1: Click Windows logo and R key on the keyboard in Windows 10 to open the Run dialog.
  • Step 2: Type slmgr.vbs /dli and press Enter key to display license information. Here slmgr stands for Software License Manager and the .vbs means Visual Basic Script.
  • In the pop-up window, if you see volume activation expiration, renewal interval and these types of information, you should know your Windows 10 is activated using activator software and it is probably not genuine and has been cracked.
Edited by userabcd

Unlike myself some of u guys seem well aware of computer operations

I bought a refurbished dell a few days ago and tried to install a thing called YouTube downloader(ytd) which was something I had for years on the computer I had stolen in kl in january

Tried fining it l ast night but I could only find a pay version

Greentree applications was the provider so anyone familiar with ytd and do they have a link? 

Edited by solomon david

1 hour ago, solomon david said:

I bought a refurbished dell a few days ago and tried to install a thing called YouTube downloader(ytd) which was something I had for years on the computer I had stolen in kl in january

Greentree applications was the provider so anyone familiar with ytd and do they have a link? 

https://download.cnet.com/YTD-Video-Downloader/3000-2071_4-75894811.html

https://download.cnet.com/s/ytd-video-downloader/

Edited by Bruno123

11 hours ago, brokenbone said:

All free, but you will need a USB Flash drive of at least 8 GB

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Then to choose; Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC 

2 hours ago, solomon david said:

Seems like that greentree version needs a paid for license.

Try this free version, it seems to have good reviews www.freemake.com/free_video_downloader/

Edited by userabcd

1 minute ago, solomon david said:

ytd(on greentree)didnt need to have on my other computer....i'll try the link anyways

Did someone already install Greentea YTD on your PC as pirate version with crack/serial No?

or

Was it a genuine paid for copy of the software?

It seems there are dubious copies of Greentree YTD available online if one does a search but they are definitely not recommended for download and install.