Real Estate Agency or Condo Office

This has probably been covered before, but I could not find it.

When renting a condo in Bangkok, do you get a better rental price by going through an agent from a website (e.g. Hipflat) or by going to the condo office and talking to that person?

Thanks.

Where ever you go in this country unless you rent direct from the owner you will pay the commission, juristic office or agent and sometimes a friend, they all put heir hand in for the commission...

Be careful as the agents run "bait & switch" ads routinely...

Large home or condo, great location, like new...available at less than the prevailing rental rates...

Once you get in their office...all the great deals they advertise are already rented...but they have others available at twice the advertised rate.  Unethical business practice!

Go directly to the Condo of your choice and look for rental signs...

Good Luck!

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

Where ever you go in this country unless you rent direct from the owner you will pay the commission, juristic office or agent and sometimes a friend, they all put heir hand in for the commission...

Not sure this is correct. In Thailand throughout all sectors of real estate the Landlord pays the commission as standard. Why as a tenant would you pay the commission, when it is completely against market normal?

Okay there may be very isolated cases where the buyer pays but this is far from normal.

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

Not sure this is correct. In Thailand throughout all sectors of real estate the Landlord pays the commission as standard. Why as a tenant would you pay the commission, when it is completely against market normal?

Okay there may be very isolated cases where the buyer pays but this is far from normal.

The monthly rent is increased when using an agent so the tenant ends up paying in the long run, even if it's coming out of the landlord's income.

6 minutes ago, treetops said:

The monthly rent is increased when using an agent so the tenant ends up paying in the long run, even if it's coming out of the landlord's income.

Possible i suppose in some cases. I would always use an agent for a condominium, purely as they can do the asset lists, defect lists, organize things like cable tv and most of the time they help when requested throughout the tenancy. Personally i have not seen what you are saying, it may be true it may not, either way its completely unsubstantiated.

1 minute ago, smutcakes said:

Possible i suppose in some cases. I would always use an agent for a condominium, purely as they can do the asset lists, defect lists, organize things like cable tv and most of the time they help when requested throughout the tenancy. Personally i have not seen what you are saying, it may be true it may not, either way its completely unsubstantiated.

Rest assured it's true.  Where I am just now decreased by exactly the agent's commission when I re-booked directly after about 6 weeks away over February/March.

Just now, treetops said:

Rest assured it's true.  Where I am just now decreased by exactly the agent's commission when I re-booked directly after about 6 weeks away over February/March.

Ok, in your case it is true, it certainly does not mean its true in every or most cases.

48 minutes ago, treetops said:

How doe the agent get their monthly commission and how much do they get for rentals? As a renter as after the initial rent is paid, you are directed to pay directly into the landlord's bank account, not the agent. So how do agents get a cut?

2 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

How doe the agent get their monthly commission and how much do they get for rentals? As a renter as after the initial rent is paid, you are directed to pay directly into the landlord's bank account, not the agent. So how do agents get a cut?

My agent and landlord sorted out the commission between them on a month to month basis, not sure of the logistics.  I have read that in Thailand it's often done as a one off, up front, payment from the landlord who then collects all the monthly rent as you say.  Either way if the landlord wants "X" per month and knows an agent will cost him "Y", the rent will be"X" plus "Y" over the period.

Landlords pay the agent on the signing of the agreement and payment of deposit and 1st months rent. That is for regular rental of 1 year. Not so sure on month to month rental.

For 6 month the agent is normally paid  half months rental, so presumably for monthly rental they are paid pro rata.