Cost To Lease?

stevejones123: I am with you. I certainly would not have used a derogatory expression in reference to the love of my life had I known it was derogatory.

Being an old fart, I am the first to admit that politically correct forms of reference change generationally, so perhaps someone can explain why "my wife", "my g/f", etc. are not derogatory while "my Thai" is????

They all contain the possessive, is that the rub? I am happy to change the reference if I could understand why "my Thai is derogatory to some.

stevejones123: I am with you. I certainly would not have used a derogatory expression in reference to the love of my life had I known it was derogatory.

Being an old fart, I am the first to admit that politically correct forms of reference change generationally, so perhaps someone can explain why "my wife", "my g/f", etc. are not derogatory while "my Thai" is????

They all contain the possessive, is that the rub? I am happy to change the reference if I could understand why "my Thai is derogatory to some.

Tue 17 Apr 07, 8:45 a.m.

Perhaps this discussion--which originally was about 30 year leases--should now be split into two threads?

This debate is perennial, possibly with the twist of "My Thai" instead of the usual "My falang" but I think the issues apply equally to both terms. I would find the English word "foreigner" substituted for "falang" to be just as annoying if used in an objectifying way by Thais . . . just as I would find an American in America habitually referring to visitors/immigrants using "foreigner" as a pronoun or possessive or form of address in the way that many Thais habitually use the word "falang".

I think you are right ProThai, political correctness is generational, and there is never anything like consensus on the "falang" issue. Many people don't mind "falang", and by extension would find "Thai" (in this context and syntax) to be equally inoffensive. Personally, I do find it objectifying and annoying. But not much, easy enough to ignore in most situations. Not enough to ever make an issue out of except in exploring the principle in a public discussion such as this. But I did quietly wince (just a little) in the post where "My Thai" was used repeatedly, just as I would if a Thai and been writing about "My falang." A lot depends, of course, what is in the heart and mind of the person using the term, but as it is exceedingly difficult for me to know what is in anyone's heart and mind, I prefer to focus on the behavior, the context and the syntax.

Aloha,

Rex

I had a lease agreement made for 30 years. It has to be registerred with the land office which will accept it or not.

You will have to enter the amount paid for the 30 years lease and if this amount is too low it will not be accepted.

You have to pay a certain percentage of that lease amount as a fee to register the lease. It is very small.

I paid a few thousand baht for a 30 years lease of 500k baht

There is no requirement to show actual movement of funds between lessor and lessee.

We have never been botherred by the taxman regarding the lease amount allegely received according to the lease.

Edited by Krub