Govt asks employers to watch foreign workers for Covid-19 symptoms

webfact

6 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

Should we have a "Star of David" sown on to our clothing as well???  ????

Unbelievable.

"We"?  Why, are you Jewish? 

Good grief...are the potentially risky migrant workers from Myanmar, Vietnam, Malaysia, Yemen, Cambodia and India likely to need to be noted as Jews or are you just suggesting that the Thai government is Nazi?  

5 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Of course it is only the foreign workers who may be showing symptoms. How about employers just monitor ALL STAFF. 

"Of course it is only the foreign workers who may be showing symptoms".

Neither the government spokesman nor the OP suggested that.   You did.

The article was referring, specifically, to illegal immigrants getting in unchecked.

Employers have been urged to keep a close eye on foreign workers for Covid-19 symptoms

Hands up if you're here on a Work Permit? Expect your bosses to keep a closer eye on you from now on. Sucks to be you...

3 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Thais, obviously, don't get this virus and if they do it's from a farang!  deep down they are deeply nationalistic and racist 

You didn't read the OP, did you?

"...it's from a farang!  deep down they are deeply nationalistic and racist".

Farangs are from Myanmar, Vietnam, Malaysia, Yemen, Cambodia and India, are they?  Those are the only nationalities that were referred to as sneaking in as illegal, migrant workers.

Strangely, you seem to think that nationalism and racism are the same thing, how come?

Edited by The Word

2 hours ago, petedk said:

It's interesting to see how all this xenophobia is growing. 

One of our Thai friends owns a little beauty shop that is closed at the moment, and only yesterday she told us that she hopes she will be allowed to open on May 1. She then added, "but I won't allow any foreigners in because they may be infected."

That's not xenophobia, it's just plain ignorance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:
9 hours ago, bluesofa said:

'expressed by a resident' How kind of Dr Taweesin to do all this after only one person mentioned this.

I think the word Foreigner and Dirty are put together a lot nowadays because of An Utin

But, in this case, they weren't.

1 hour ago, wasabi said:

All animals are created equal but some animals are better than other animals. Particularly Thai vs dirty Farang. I have no hope this xenophobia will be eradicated but it always should be called out.

There was no reference to farangs in this OP so there is nothing to be called out.

48 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Hands up if you're here on a Work Permit? Expect your bosses to keep a closer eye on you from now on. Sucks to be you...

The OP is about illegal migrant workers sneaking into the country unchecked, not legal workers here, er, legally.

There seems to be a lot of unjustified xenophobia being displayed here by farangs aimed at a government minister who was not, in any way, being xenophobic in current circumstances. 

But, of course, you'd have to be able to read, and understand, the OP to know that.

1 hour ago, The Word said:

There seems to be a lot of unjustified xenophobia being displayed here by farangs aimed at a government minister who was not, in any way, being xenophobic in current circumstances. 

But, of course, you'd have to be able to read, and understand, the OP to know that.

He thought he was not fueling xenophobia, but he was wrong. They all are.

The difference between developed countries and emerging countries, some of which are not exactly democratic, is that, if the equivalent of Anutin had said what Anutin said, in say Europe, he would have lost his job in a couple of hours.

Secondly, it has been documented for many years by the Human Rights Watch of how Thailand likes to keep illegal migrants illegal, to beat them up and abuse them, whilst they are working for peanuts in jobs Thais are not willing to do.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Thais, obviously, don't get this virus and if they do it's from a farang!  deep down they are deeply nationalistic and racist 

Bang on the money. My wife sounds like this. Our son looks at us......thinking is dad going to say anything??

I just laugh. They are indoctrinated from day 1  through the poor education system to believe they are the best, faultless race. I find it comical. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lkv said:
4 hours ago, The Word said:

He thought he was not fueling xenophobia, but he was wrong. They all are.

The difference between developed countries and emerging countries, some of which are not exactly democratic, is that, if the equivalent of Anutin had said what Anutin said, in say Europe, he would have lost his job in a couple of hours.

Secondly, it has been documented for many years by the Human Rights Watch of how Thailand likes to keep illegal migrants illegal, to beat them up and abuse them, whilst they are working for peanuts in jobs Thais are not willing to do.

Why are you telling me that?   I was commenting about the minister quoted in this OP which has nothing whatsoever to do with Anutin or your opinion about human rights in Thailand.

4 minutes ago, The Word said:

Why are you telling me that?   I was commenting about the minister quoted in this OP which has nothing whatsoever to do with Anutin or your opinion about human rights in Thailand.

It's not my opinion, it's a worldwide consensus about human rights in Thailand, supression of free speech and so on.

And they are all xenophobic.

Watch foreign workers? Watch ALL workers. It has been explained already by other posters. It's sad you cannot see the targeting of specific groups in his statements.

The virus can infect ANYBODY, you know?

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, lkv said:
10 minutes ago, The Word said:

It's not my opinion, it's a worldwide consensus about human rights in Thailand, supression of free speech and so on.

And they are all xenophobic.

Watch foreign workers? Watch ALL workers. It has been explained already by other posters. It's sad you cannot see the targeting of specific groups in his statements.

Why are you going on about that to me when I made no mention of human rights at all, anywhere, until you dragged it up from nowhere?  Human rights issues is irrelevant and off-topic in this thread.

"It's sad you cannot see the targeting of specific groups in his statements".

It's even more sad that you still can't understand the context of my comments on this thread, I can see the target of this minister (who, by the way, is not Anutin), I've pointed it out several times.  His target was illegal migrant workers trying to sneak into Thailand unchecked for the virus!  That is not xenophobic.

2 hours ago, The Word said:

His target was illegal migrant workers trying to sneak into Thailand unchecked for the virus! 

The title of this thread is: "Govt asks employers to watch foreign workers for Covid-19 symptoms"

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BobBKK said:

If you bothered to read the article no mention of farangs in the story, migrant workers. Do not believe farangs can be migrant workers or would they really want to be. Many of you guys just seem to want to jump on the thai racist bandwagon lately. Yes and I know it exsist but you people are putting it into every story even when it doesn't exsist in that particular story. cool out boys you may be happier

1 hour ago, moe666 said:

If you bothered to read the article no mention of farangs in the story, migrant workers. 

Yes, they are racist towards the migrant workers in this circumstance.

Farangs should not care or be too concerned, you're saying, as long as it does not affect us (this time).

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 11:44 AM, petedk said:

It's interesting to see how all this xenophobia is growing. 

One of our Thai friends owns a little beauty shop that is closed at the moment, and only yesterday she told us that she hopes she will be allowed to open on May 1. She then added, "but I won't allow any foreigners in because they may be infected."

My wife would never say that.